20,000 miles on oil?

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Anybody tried it on their pre-2009 TDI? What were the results? I’ve done it with my Honda Civic and oil analysis showed the oil was still good at 20k

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This web site is a waste if you don't search first and find the info that is already here. In Europe some even went 30k miles IIRC with the sensor installed. Some here even retrofitted the sensor in their cars. Others have posted their experiences going over 10k. Testing when doing this is required, unless you just feel lucky. Adding oil along the way is usually necessary and helps maintain the oil as well.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
In my ALH I'd do 20-25k OCI's, not sure I'd do it in a PD though. They already have some major cam wear issues.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
It could also be the search function doesn’t work as well as you think. After wasting 30 minutes searching I decided it’s easier to just ask. After all that’s what forums are for (to post).
Thank you. Your response is more helpful than Lightflyer’s
You are welcome. I hope that if you chose to go that route that you Uoa along the way there just to be on the safe side. And that you post your experience and results here in this thread.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3394436#post3394436

Scurvy got close to the oci you are seeking. He was also running a bypass filter.
He was also adding zinc and moly adds and adding fresh oil along the way. So what was the point? Spend money on a bypass filter, spend money on some crap to add to the oil and still ended up adding more oil along the way. What was the savings over just changing the oil as per the 10k maintenance schedule? Actually, I think he spent more.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
There are people on here who do 20k and besides making sure it doesn’t run dry, do nothing else. Their success probably is due to driving habits and heat cycles over any additives. They really come out of the woodwork when the “Should I change my oil at 3,000 miles” threads pop up.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I get the 20,000 mile OCI OK............

How about time? Would 4,000 miles per year with a 2 year OCI be pushing the envelope too much?

ez

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

How about time? Would 4,000 miles per year with a 2 year OCI be pushing the envelope too much?
ez
Well let's think about it...........4k per year 40k in ten years, 80k in 20 years. How old are you? And how many years are you concerned about driving your car. 160k in 40 years. If I was you I wouldn't change the oil at all. You will probably die before the car fails. And everything else on the car too before the engine fails to do to lack of proper lubrication. Just change your oil once a year and forget about it. Really how cheap are you?:D

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He was also adding zinc and moly adds and adding fresh oil along the way. So what was the point? Spend money on a bypass filter, spend money on some crap to add to the oil and still ended up adding more oil along the way. What was the savings over just changing the oil as per the 10k maintenance schedule? Actually, I think he spent more.
For the most part I totally agree with you. However, the one caveat here is the cam issues in the PD. If his OCD of using moly and zink saved his cam and lifters it may be worth it in the end. Of course, we know those can be a crapshoot no matter how good of oil or what OCI you use... so who knows.

I bet the dude slept better at night, that is worth something.

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI

ez
I'm with MichaelB... if you are putting on 4k a year I'd change it once a year and call it day. Knowing how lazy I am, I might even go change it once every two years, but I would by no means give that as advice for anyone else, I just know me.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
20K on 1.9 and 2.0's for years no issues. Took some used oil analysis' after the first changes and had plenty left so run with the 20K/1 year.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Anybody tried it on their pre-2009 TDI? What were the results? I’ve done it with my Honda Civic and oil analysis showed the oil was still good at 20k
I would say your question is a good one but very broad in terms of 'Pre-2009 TDI' and that's why you will get many answers and not necessarily a 'yes/no'.

Most people would agree that to go beyond 10K oil change interval (OCI) you will do a used oil analysis (UOA) with TBN (total base number) included in it and then make a decision.

Obviously calendar time is also an issue. My personal research tells me to do the UOA within one year of the previous oil change and go from there. Items like oxidation, insoluble %, etc. matter also when you leave the oil beyond a year in the crankcase.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Most people would agree that to go beyond 10K oil change interval (OCI) you will do a used oil analysis (UOA) with TBN (total base number) included in it and then make a decision.
So I say what's the point? Blackstone Labs oil analysis is 28 bucks. What does an oil change cost? 20 bucks or less for a jug of Rotella T6. I am not sure of the cost for a PD oil filter cuz I don't buy them for my car. Change the oil at 10k. Forget about extended OCI unless you are a real environmental freak and don't want to use up too many resources stretch the last drop out of the oil and only have 1 filter to dispose of as opposed to two. There is no monetary benefit.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I would say it depends on your situation. If you have a good UOA baseline with your driving pattern and environment and you drive so many miles per year such as 15,000 miles or more (my take) then you might like to change your favorite oil once a year for convenience and why not for the environment too (win-win situation). It is a cost/benefit analysis that we do like many other scenarios.

For me the environment is one factor when it comes for my transportation needs and preventive maintenance but it does not have to be the only factor or even the main factor for that matter.

Good conversation!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I would say it depends on your situation. If you have a good UOA baseline
Good conversation!
How many UOA's does a good baseline constitute? 28 bucks per UOA. Man money is money why not spend the least of it. I know it might be kinda fun/interesting to read the reports. I also know you could piss away 28 bucks on less beneficial things. But my understanding is to increase your OCI is to save money not spend more. Increasing the OCI will not make your engine run better or last longer.

We here are not running a trucking company or a railroad where extending OCI's could save much more than the cost of analysis. (Where I worked if you bought the lubricants from them they did the analysis for free as a service to their customers.) Be it in the price of lubricating oil or the cost in labor to change it. Most here change their own so factor labor cost out.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I think for those that have a fairly consistent driving pattern one UOA might be enough, provided it is after the the break-in period of the engine (~ 50K miles on the engine).

Also based on my long term reading of this forum (and others such as bobistheoilguy.com) the chemistry and properties of well known diesel oils such as the Pentosin High Performance II 5W-40 (505.01 suitable for PD/ALH engines), Mobil Delvac 1 (HDEO suitable for PD/ALH engines), Schaeffer Supreme 9000 SAE 5W-40 ((HDEO usable in PD/ALH engines), Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 ESP (approved for CR engines), etc. can, at a minimum, support 10,000 miles OCI for the average TDI owner (non-heavy duty conditions).

I agree that going beyond 10,000 miles OCI in a TDI with the proper oil is not about saving money necessarily but more about convenience IF your circumstances warrant.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Well let's think about it........... If I WAS you I would Just change your oil once a year and forget about it.................

Ah, Senor: you were very helpful when I had questions concerning my JSW TDI 6M buyback...............

Why the change in style?:D

thanks,

ez

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
This post from years ago makes a lot of sense
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3945027&postcount=33

"Detergency phase leading to stability with the dispersants and EP additives.

Changing oil too often causes perpetual operation with high detergency that interferes with the placement of the EP additives that protect the high stress regions of the motor.

Modern synthetic oils are not like Quaker State that your run in your chevy.

The idea is to run the oil out of the detergency phase (1st 1-3K), then allow the dispersants to work by preventing re-adhesion of the combustion by-products. With the detergents evaporated in the first 1-3K, this permits the maximum bonding of EP additives that effectively stop the engines internal wear. These (EP additives) form sacrificial layers that wear away and re-bond over the life of the oil vs wearing away the engines metal surfaces.

Provided an engines oil is run the intended interval, wear metals formed are less than 1 micron and cannot cause abnormal wear in the motor."

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta

ez
I would buy the vw dealer 5w-30 castrol 507 and filters for your Mk VI and change every two years in the fall if you are more to the north. The high detergent and anti-oxidants of the synthetic diesel oil are beneficial to a low mileage vehical. In fact I would put diesel oil in a classic car that is stored over winter and seldom used to prevent acidic corrosion by taking advantage of the the high TBN of the diesel oil.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I would buy the vw dealer 5w-30 castrol 507 and filters for your Mk VI and change every two years in the fall if you are more to the north. The high detergent and anti-oxidants of the synthetic diesel oil are beneficial to a low mileage vehical. In fact I would put diesel oil in a classic car that is stored over winter and seldom used to prevent acidic corrosion by taking advantage of the the high TBN of the diesel oil.
That may be why the engine builder of my 'classic' small-block told me to use Rotella T5.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That sounds like a DEAD forum with no new posts of any kind. Is that what you are trying to achieve? Silence?
Nope. Just do a search first (a real one this time) and find the info that is already here. It isn't useful at all to have the same question asked over and over and over again just because you are too lazy to search first and find the existing info/facts.

Posting useless/recurring questions only clogs up things and makes it hard to find the already existing info. How many times does "What oil do I use?" or "What stuff can i dump in my tank?" have to be asked before it isn't really relevant anymore.

If a car is more than a few years old, pretty much most things have already been hashed out and posted already. Oil and additive questions especially are really not needed as there are already thousands of posts here about those things already, and they are answered in your owners manual. Use the spec oil and additives aren't needed except for some special circumstances like extreme cold weather.