MKIV Golf TDI Optima Battery Replacement

Rillyin

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Hi I own an 03 Golf TDI and I was wondering if anyone has has had success replacing the battery for an optima drycell battery. I can't find anywhere if there is a specific size that will work for my car.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Needless to say - the Optimas are NOT proper batteries for a TDI - especially in YOUR location.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I would stick with the standard group 94 battery. Optima does not have the CCA your car will need in cold weather.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Let's put it a different way... the Optima is a TERRIBLE battery for diesels and cold weather. :)

If you search a bit you'll discover this has been discussed to death... general consensus s that the very best and most economical battery for your car is the OEM one from the dealer... the right capacity, even for us Canadians, and the price is usually very competitive.

Last edited:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Let's put it a different way... the Optima is a TERRIBLE battery for diesels and cold weather. :)

If you search a bit you'll discover this has been discussed to death... general consensus s that the very best and most economical battery for your car is the OEM one from the dealer... the right capacity, even for us Canadians, and the price is usually very competitive.
x2 Don't complicate your life. OEM fits right and cranks right. Just make sure you specify the replacement is for a diesel engine.

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
If you want an AGM battery, East-Penn / Deka makes AGMs in Group 48 and 49 sizes. 48 is slightly smaller than what you have now, but TDI beetles use that size, so it should fit and work with no problem. 49 is slightly bigger, but can be made to fit by removing the battery box cover and modifying the battery tray.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I was also reading a thread on here stating that an avid optima user claims they just aren't made like they used to be and will no longer use them. Of course, you know what they say about stuff you read on the internet.

ukladinla

TDI
2011 Golf
Replacement Battery for 2011 tdi

I've read the threads on here and was originally shopping for an Optima, but have since changed gears. However, I cannot, in all good conscience, replace a battery, just 3 years old and with 30K miles, in mild/warm Southern California with the same stock battery that has died, imho WAY too young. I am appalled that the VW stock battery on this vehicle has perished so soon and am looking for a better replacement. I'll take any constructive thoughts or ideas and will report back my findings.

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
I've read the threads on here and was originally shopping for an Optima, but have since changed gears. However, I cannot, in all good conscience, replace a battery, just 3 years old and with 30K miles, in mild/warm Southern California with the same stock battery that has died, imho WAY too young. I am appalled that the VW stock battery on this vehicle has perished so soon and am looking for a better replacement. I'll take any constructive thoughts or ideas and will report back my findings.
The stock size on the 2011 is the Group 48 or H6 size. Autozone or Batteries Plus carry the re-branded Deka AGM batteries in your size.

ukladinla

TDI
2011 Golf
Thanks cvalentine. I'm wondering whether I should try to add water to my battery? After reading more threads on here, it seems that the fall (after a hot summer) causes evaporation and that could be my problem. Just came back from the dealer who told me the battery was dead and wanted $200+ for a new battery

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'd be mad too. I read the OEM supplier has changed. I bought an OEM a few years ago and it is junk and will need to be replaced before the snow flies again.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
On the other hand...the OEM battery (Varta usually) is a great battery...you just have to learn to maintain them properly. I still have the OEM from our 2000 Golf going strong after 14 years!

What is the answer...it is not a secret, though you would think so from the battery manufacturers and auto dealers! Your earlier post about fluid levels is the answer. If you maintain that level over the years (and in many cases those little fluid caps are hidden!) AND you throw some desulphiding pulse technology there is no reason to get a LOT of years out of a battery! Just do a search for Battery Minder. Then buy some distilled water and an eye dropper! Those individual cells need to be topped off at the level indicator just shy of the battery cell top, you can't miss them when looking in via flashlight. Watch out for splash, make sure everything is clean then get with the desulphiding pulse unit and let it run at least 48 hours per session. HTH.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My OEM Varta never had enough cold cranking amps for severely cold weather. I now have a Sears Platinum AGM with over 900 CC's and it is more than adequate. It does have the equivalent amp hours as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The OP has an '03, which have larger batteries than the later cars. The OE batteries for that car are reasonably priced, very powerful, and last a long time. I'd just get one from VW. I have only replaced the battery once in my '02 and it was after it started slowly in Detroit in -15F. I gave it to a co-worker who used it for another year. Varta (makes them for VW) makes a good product, IMO.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As of last year's AAPEX Show Varta was exhibiting VW batteries. We just got a couple for staff members cars last week. I'll check.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I would seriously consider an AGM battery of the same or better specs than the stock battery. But I also would not get any battery (no matter what the price) that is LESS than stock specs either....

ukladinla

TDI
2011 Golf
I'm not a mechanic or technician

The idea of buying eye protection, distilled water, eye droppers and possibly ending up in the ER, is really just not appealing to me. I bought a new battery.

But for those willing to take life risks....by all means....

On the other hand...the OEM battery (Varta usually) is a great battery...you just have to learn to maintain them properly. I still have the OEM from our 2000 Golf going strong after 14 years!

What is the answer...it is not a secret, though you would think so from the battery manufacturers and auto dealers! Your earlier post about fluid levels is the answer. If you maintain that level over the years (and in many cases those little fluid caps are hidden!) AND you throw some desulphiding pulse technology there is no reason to get a LOT of years out of a battery! Just do a search for Battery Minder. Then buy some distilled water and an eye dropper! Those individual cells need to be topped off at the level indicator just shy of the battery cell top, you can't miss them when looking in via flashlight. Watch out for splash, make sure everything is clean then get with the desulphiding pulse unit and let it run at least 48 hours per session. HTH.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
The danger is "over blown". I have never had an issue with this "maintenance" in the nineteen years I have practiced it. Half hour at the most is cheaper than the new battery. I have had the same luck with dual 12V 1995 Delco AGM batteries in the farm truck.
Still going strong after all this time and no cells need to be checked. But hey, to each there own!

blkhatsilhouette

TDI
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta TDI
I had an Optima in my car when I got it in 2007. It lasted until probably 2010 or 11 and it completely froze in Western Massachusetts when it was 0 degrees outside... I wound up getting one for cost from a friend and replaced it with the same, and didn't have any issues the other two winters I spent in Mass. I'm sure the next time I replace it, it wont be another though after reading more about it!

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I have 5 Optimas stacked in the corner of my garage. All of them are dead/won't start a car/won't take a charge. All of them are less than 3 years old...

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I was also reading a thread on here stating that an avid optima user claims they just aren't made like they used to be and will no longer use them. Of course, you know what they say about stuff you read on the internet.
Yep, they moved production to Mexico and the new breed are pure garbage. I went thru 3 of them in my turbo Caravan and 2 on a customers Hot Rod, another friend went thru 2 so after that, never again. Overpriced garbage.

ukladinla

TDI
2011 Golf
I bought the AGM top of the line from AutoZone who rebrands the batteries a la Kirkland to Costco or Kenmore to Sears. For all I know, they're recycled VW batteries or maybe they're from Kevinski4's garage?

:p