key fob: reset 'unlock' function

lengolad

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI GLS wagon, BEW
I've got two fobs with blade keys and a valet key for my MKIV Jetta wagon (2006 TDI [Canadian model]). After a week of intermittently being unable to UNLOCK the doors with the fob we use daily, it stopped completely UNLOCKING the door--lock and rear hatch release continued working fine. I replaced the battery, but nothing changed: lock and rear hatch work; unlock doesn't... The "spare" fob works for all three functions.

I consulted my manual and p. 32 has two procedures for the fobs: resetting (synchronizing) the remote, and manually programming.

Questions:
1) which procedure do I need to follow?

2) for "manually programming," which key goes where...? Does the one you're re-programming go in the ignition, or the one that works?

Thanks for any advice!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I suspect it's not a matter of programming.
Assuming your car has immo3, "programming" means telling the car's ECU to play nice
with your fob's RFID chip. For the remote lock/unlock, it is 'adaptation' that you do (with
VCDS). Here's a nice video on that. He calls it 'programming' but it's not.
My thinking is that your fob's button is mechanically worn out. Break her open and have a look
at the little PCB. The buttons are teeny micro switches. The one for your 'unlock'
is probably beat up a bit.
Get yourself a new remote end and do the adaptation. Or just switch to the backup fob. There's also the old fashioned
unlock, don't forget :rolleyes:

Last edited: