1999 alh engine to 2002 tranny

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I had a timing belt go on my 2002 jetta alh tdi about a month or so ago and managed to get my hands on a nice 1999 alh tdi out of a beetle with the tranny.

Now, my clutch on my original tranny was ready to be swapped, so i was thinking I could pull the clutch pack out of the 1999 and drop it into the 2002. After looking though, VW seems to have switched from LUK (1999) to Sachs (2002), and they look a little different. Will I have any issues running the LUK flywheel/clutch/pressureplate from the 1999 in the 2002 tranmission?

The exterior of the transmissions look a little different, which is why I was intending on keeping the original housing.

Any other issues I should be aware of? Am I over-complicating this by swapping the trannies?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
No problem doing this swap.

You did mention one transmission is from a 99 car so the selector tower will be different than the 2002 box.
Switching them over is extremely easy and shouldn’t take more than 20 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I had a timing belt go on my 2002 jetta alh tdi about a month or so ago and managed to get my hands on a nice 1999 alh tdi out of a beetle with the tranny.
Now, my clutch on my original tranny was ready to be swapped, so i was thinking I could pull the clutch pack out of the 1999 and drop it into the 2002. After looking though, VW seems to have switched from LUK (1999) to Sachs (2002), and they look a little different. Will I have any issues running the LUK flywheel/clutch/pressureplate from the 1999 in the 2002 tranmission?
The exterior of the transmissions look a little different, which is why I was intending on keeping the original housing.
Any other issues I should be aware of? Am I over-complicating this by swapping the trannies?

The 1999 trans has a different shift tower than the 2002. Not sure what you are going to use from t999 besides the long block, but there are subtle differences to note if you intend on using the 2002 accessories, none that can't be overcome.

1) The turbo mount is different and I think the return line too.

2) The 3rd injector connector is different, VW went to D connectors over a several year span to different areas of the engine bay. You can swap the plug with a flattened paper clip to remove the wiring.

3) You will need to use your hard coolant line. I would highly recommend you replace the rubber o-ring.

There are probably more, but that's the few that easily come to my mind.