Confused About Restitution Payment on 2011 Sportwagen

JerryInOCMD

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I've got a $20,000 offer on the table as we speak. I was ready to sell the car back, but lately I've been thinking about taking the $6,000 restitution payment, keeping the car, and paying off the small remainder on our used car loan.
But in looking at the details, am I understanding that no restitution money is disbursed until there is a fix?
This is the part of the letter that has me confused, but it seems to be referring to 2015 vehicles...
2/3 of payment is disbursed with first part of fix, and remaining 1/3 disbursed when final part of fix is completed.
Would an owner of a 2011 vehicle not expect money until a fix is issued and completed?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
am I understanding that no restitution money is disbursed until there is a fix?
That's correct. Nobody gets paid under the 2-liter settlement until they either sell back the car or get (at least part of) a fix. OK, there are a few other edge cases where people get paid, but they don't apply here.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
You could always sell it to the buyer with a contract contingency that the buyer agrees to pay you additional percentage of any future restitution payment based on your length of ownership.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't recommend that. Price in the risk up front and make it a done deal up front. Doesn't sound like this is relevant to the original poster. If you go the fix route, it is likely a year away before the fix gets done and you get paid and your warrant extension starts.