Advice on aftermarket head unit: MKIV

trevorrrr

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I have acquired a 2002 TDI as a daily driver and after getting some mechanical issues dealt with, it is time to address some "comfort" features. I have the 2" tape player head unit. It has AM/FM/Tape/CD functions, but I do not actually have a CD player in the car. Above the radio, below the cup holder slot, there is an empty compartment that I use to hold my phone and wallet.

I would like to install a new head unit so I can listen to my iPhone through the car. I'd like something that looks very close to stock. It would be great if I could answer calls through it but I understand that that could be quite a bit more $$.

I have found the RTM100+ and MM440 through ECS...wondering if they will fit/ if there are cheaper options.

There is also the Crux BTS-VW2 for significantly less. I do not think it has the ability to answer and respond to phone calls... which I may be able to live with. Since it's a $400 savings over the other options.

Question... is the Crux junk for how cheap it is? Are there other options out there that I have not found? Any thoughts/opinions?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I've got 3 MKIV's, 2 of which came with the single DIN Monsoon radio (1 w/ secondary CD, the other w/ the empty cubby like your) & the 3rd had been swapped to a Kenwood unit before I got it.

I've since swapped the 1 single DIN to 2 different OEM upgrades.

First was the "Volk" unit that supports both streaming music & answering my phone via Bluetooth.

Second was the MFD-D Navigation unit (no built in BT). Though there are supposed to be a few different BT add-on products which have good reviews.

While the 2nd is "cooler" the first has more useful functions for me.

All that said, the Kenwood unit BT seems to be better for phone calls due to the remote mount microphone.

In summary, for an originally single DIN radio car there are nice easy to install OEM options. Aftermarket units offer much more functionality, but require more cost (this ranges from little to LOTS), efforts or parts.

Last edited:

Atcfan

TDI
2003 jetta 5 SPEED
I just installed the jensen vx7022 in my 03 Jetta. All together for the radio and install kit was $300. Bluetooth and mic work good. Navigation takes about 10 seconds to load up initially but does its job. Overall I like it and to top it all off it has the Pandora app so when I press that I can access pandora play list right thru the radio without even touching my phone.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
My advice is Alpine or Eclipse(fujitsu ten). I am a bit biased towards higher end units, since I come from a sound quality competition background, but they're excellent headunits and are worth it IMO.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
if you end up with issues with the battery dying you will have to install a relay for the amplifier.
I ran the signal wire back to the relay and grounded the relay to the body.
Attaching the power wire to the amp to either side of the relay.

This allows the radios that don't fully shut off the speakers fully when they shut down.
That is how the amplifier knows whether or not to turn on.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I don't know how directly it would plug in, but I bought the double-DIN OEM radio from a Canadian market City Golf, specifically because I wanted the Aux-in and USB in on the head unit.

I think I paid $100 shipped, but that's dependent on finding one available from a wrecker or car being parted out.

I've heard that they won't plug into a car that had the double-DIN radio, but if you have the single-DIN radio currently, it may well just plug in.