VW buyback is a disaster. VW does not care about its TDI customers.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I have been getting the run around for a long time now and I am sick of it.
I turned in every document on the first day the website would take it every step of the way and to the exact requests. I am still waiting to get a buyback.
First, I am angry because the dealer sold me the car the next morning after the cutoff and after they received the cease and desist. This caused me to lose a portion of the restitution. The VW dealer just did not make it a certified pre-owned, so they got away with that. They did not make me aware of it or say anything. Needless to say I heard about it right after I bought it, but did not think about it turning into this fiasco. I could have just bought something else and avoided the whole thing.
The only reason I needed another car is because the one I bought brand new got T-boned and totalled. I get nothing for that car. I only got enough back from insurance to buy a used one of the same year (2013). Before this I also had a car that was in the scandal that I traded in. I traded in a one year old Jetta for a new Passat. I basically owned 3 of these scandal cars (two new and one used). I am only getting a portion of the restitution on the one used one.
Anyway, back to the story....after waiting and waiting and jumping through the hoops like everyone else, I finally got a buyback offer.
Guess what...They put my payoff as over $70,000 and actually claimed I was going to owe money! My payoff was actually $700. They just added a couple zeros to the real payoff number.
So, I went through the usual hoops of all day trying to contact them. They basically just said they put it in the system as needing to be fixed and they would get back to me......they could not offer an ETA or escalate me to someone else.
Well, the fine print said that the amount could be adjusted at the time the car is dropped off. So, I had it notarized and sent it in anyway. The amount of restitution was correct. They have to get the exact numbers closer to acceptance of the car anyway.
Well, I never heard anything more for a long time so I contacted them back.
They basically gave me the runaround again and said there was no way to escalate etc.
I waited some more and then contacted them again. By this time I had paid the car off and no longer owed anything on it.
This time the person told me I had to file a new claim under a different email and start the process all over because it would be quicker and easier than anything else since I paid it off. This was very aggravating.
So, I did this the very same day.
Now after waiting even longer, I get a notice that the front of the title says there is a loan on it. Of course it does, grrr. You don't get a new title in my state. You get a notarized lien release and they do not give you a place to upload that. They only ask for front of title and then back of title as separate downloads.
Now they ask for another document, but instead of giving you a place to add another document, you can only download over the "Front of title".
So, I loaded in the scanned notarized release.
I could have scanned and made the title and release as one two page document, but they are so bad I figure that might just confuse them more and they might look at the first page and just assume its the same thing.
This has been going on for near 6 months now and I still don't even have an offer letter that they have not messed up. I now have to pay personal property tax on the car again at the end of the year. I have also been carrying full coverage insurance on a car I cannot drive and don't want.
I stopped driving it when I got close to 100k on the miles so I would not take a further hit. I drive 100 miles a day minimum. It also needs the heater core recall done and the heat stopped working when it was starting to get cold. I think it needs an airbag recall and one other thing too.
Needless to say I am done with VW. I loved these TDI and had half a dozen of them, but their handling of this is ridiculous. You can never get anyone on the phone or chat that can actually do anything. You just get left in limbo every time with no ETA on when you will hear anything.
This whole thing could have been resolved in 30 minutes with some actual help and contact with someone that can do anything.
I honestly think they are pulling these tactics just to slow down the payoffs. It is not hard to make this process work, but they put zero effort into helping anyone out that falls out of the normal process, even when it is their fault. They should have an upload spot for a lien release or other documents. The really bad part is that this whole thing is their fault, and also the mistake in my claim was 100% their fault and they do nothing about it.
I would bet money they still can't make this happen because now they will claim they no longer have the front of the title. There is no way for me to upload it again. I am again stuck waiting with no indicators of what is going on.....

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also had to pay the full taxes on a new car! They give you 180 days to come back and claim it if you sell your old car, but that is about to run out. This will be another $1000+ loss on top of the lost insurance premiums, lost restitution, and lost extra year of taxes, and the loss due to buying a new replacement car.

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Have you gone to class counsel with all this?

I understand completely why you're upset -- this seems egregious. But I think you'd do yourself well to email a very matter of fact accounting of what's transpired, the additional expenses you face, and stripped of the pejoratives.

I'd like to think yours is the type of case they're here to help, and can get some traction for you.

Keep us updated?

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I'm not sure how to contact them. I will see if I can figure it out.
Have a link or phone number? I I'll look for some way to contact them tommorow.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Looks like your actual problems related to VW are the issue with the numbers being messed up and the fact that you live someplace with a non standard means of showing payoff. Clearly, the issue with the numbers is a faux pas that needs to be addressed...and somehow there is a delay in that...which seems like the real holdup. The second issue is something that you need to speak to someone about. I havent seen a lien title that doesnt have a stamp or written place on the front where the lender signs off...since your state doesnt do this and most do, them its up to you to get it worked out. Thats something I would have mentioned(maybe you did) as soon as you paid the car off(halfway through the process thus changing your whole deal). Six months seems like a long time, but it isnt all VW's fault. ANd you cannot say that while you are having a poor experience, that VW doesnt care about its customers...after all...they are paying you...and everyone else, for something that arguable is way overwrought to begin with. The other costs you incurred are associated with car ownership. This cannot be VW's fault either, though I understand it adds to your frustration. The buyback overall isnt a disaster as it is working...and many have been paid with zero difficulty. Some have had problems yes...but look at the issues with the damaged and stripped down cars that VW is taking on the chin with. These are not the actions of someone who is welching on their responsibility. I would call again(in the middle of the night is a good time) and explain the issues and work something out. I had a nonstandard issue. I spoke to someone, then made recommendations, I followed them, and all went well.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I think the title for this thread needs to be prefixed with "My-." I have been reading accounts of people's buyback experience, and, by and large, most seem routine. Yes, it's not going to go as quickly as some expect, or to the timeline stated in the settlement. But, for most, it's going. And, predictably, those who have existing loans on their cars are not getting through the process as quickly as those who own their cars outright. But this has been going on long enough now that there is a certain sense of "what it is." And for most, it's not a disaster.

jblondin

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Still counting on my claim too. Its been delay after delay after delay. Scandal broke 1 week after my purchase, and ive been trying to turn it in ever since.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
My problem has nothing to do with the car itself or the scandal itself. My problem is with how they are handling the process.
I am also not happy with the Dealer selling me the car for full price a day after they got the cease sales letter. I know it was not covered because it was not a certified pre-owned, but how do I know they did not change it that day just to move it. It seems like something a good business might mention to you. It would have certainly affected the price negotiation if nothing else. I do not blame VW for that. That is a dealer issue.

VW will never let you talk to anyone that can actually do anything and just make you wait. In my case they probably would make me wait forever if I did not keep contacting them over and over again. Wasting my time. I have spent an entire work day clicking the chat button and trying to keep the request active before. It would time out and I would restart it all day until I finally got a response.
All my paperwork was turned in flawlessly. All they had to do was take the car and give me a check. I already had my offer letter.
They messed up the payoff amount and there is no reason this should have affected moving forward. My car should have been bought back already.
Then, just because my car got paid off does not mean I should have to start the whole process completely over again. It was not paid off when they messed up the amounts. They would have had to revise the amount of payoff regardless by the time they took the car in.
Also, how do you mess amounts like that up so bad? Where are the checks and balances by whoever is doing this? A $70k loan on a sub 20K car. Really? That does not flag something?
In my state, the title never goes to the bank, ever. I am sure there are 10's of thousands of these sold in my state. This is not my problem if VW doesn't know how it works. They sure know how to buy and sell them and they certainly do financing and issue lien releases. So, blaming that on me is just silly. I am sure I am not the first person to have a paid off car in my state. They could have at least fixed the site so you can upload the lien release properly. However, that would not have even been needed if they got it right the first time.

Even though they messed up the payoff amount, this should have not stopped anything. See the text below where it has a whole paragraph about the amount changing at buyback time.

SELECTED OPTION (Preliminary) – BUYBACK. Under the buyback option, Volkswagen Group of
America, Inc. will repurchase your vehicle and pay an additional restitution payment, for a total of
$23,627.40 as broken down below:
$ 13,700.00 Vehicle Return Amount
$ 4,474.93 Additional Restitution Payment
$ 18,174.93 Total Amount Before Loan Payoff
$ 70,567.00 Total Outstanding Loan Amount on 12/29/2016
$ 23,627.40 Amount VW Will Pay Your Lender
$ 46,939.60 ESTIMATED Outstanding Loan Amount that You Owe to VW**

The offer amount reflected above is based, in part, on the purchase date that you entered into the Online Claims
Portal, which is after September 18, 2015. If you believe this is incorrect, please contact us at 1 844-98-CLAIM.**
Please note that the actual payment amount at your closing appointment may differ from the above amount.
The above offer is based on the information that you entered in the beginning of the claims process for your
mileage, estimated monthly mileage, and estimated vehicle return date. The total payment may change based
on the actual mileage at the time of your buyback appointment, which may be different from the mileage,
estimated monthly mileage, and estimated vehicle return date that you entered in your claim.

·[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

With that said, I understand stuff happens. What I don't understand is why they don't make an effort to help someone that has had all these issues with their service. I have contacted them multiple times and I can never get anywhere. Their solutions have been ridiculous. Making me get a new email address and starting the process all over again was the most ridiculous. They could have simply asked for the lien release and moved forward after it was paid off. However, I doubt we would be done yet even if the payoff part never happened. They pretty much stopped doing anything on the first claim after they messed it up. Only by calling them repeatedly and getting different people was I finally told I have to start the entire process from scratch again. Previous people were just telling me to wait and there is nothing they can do...
Again. I have made no mistakes at all in the process! My work and jumping through hoops has been 100% flawless and everything requested was turned in the same day it could be.

By the way, the price they are offering me for the car is about $3000 less than I paid for it they day after the "frozen" value. Doesn't that seem fishy? It was a decent price if the scandal had not happened. The restitution amount is the only thing that brings it up to a fair value. I am not really getting much "restitution". The bad offer is just being brought up to where it should have been with the restitution. However, I am happy to just take the money and be done with this, but they are not making that happen for me very easy...

My additional cost of having the car too long due to delays is moved into the multiple thousands now as well. Basically they are costing me more money the longer they drag this out. I am paying full coverage insurance, will lose my tax credit soon, and I now have to pay a years personal property tax again....

Last edited:

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I stopped reading at the "original sin" in this post, which is that the dealer sold you the car after the stop sale was declared. The number flub is a simple key punch error, but you really need to contact counsel (and possibly retain your own attorney) about the dealer selling you a car that I believe they weren't (based on my knowledge having worked at a VW dealer when this went down) legally able to sell to you.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I stopped reading at the "original sin" in this post, which is that the dealer sold you the car after the stop sale was declared. The number flub is a simple key punch error, but you really need to contact counsel (and possibly retain your own attorney) about the dealer selling you a car that I believe they weren't (based on my knowledge having worked at a VW dealer when this went down) legally able to sell to you.
Unfortunately, from everything I read, they could sell me the car because it was not listed as a "Certified Pre-owned". This is shady for sure, but I guess they can get away with it? The other kick in the gutt is that I have an exact snapshot of what the car was worth on or about the day the value is frozen because I bought it right then. This was even the best price car I found in the area. I took a a 3k hit right there and on top of a lowered restitution due to the day after sale.
The other kicker is that I actually bought a brand new one of these cars and I get nothing for that because it was totaled. It had less miles than the replacement. It got T-boned by a 3/4 ton dodge diesel and my only choice was to buy a used replacement. These cars are safe and I wanted another one. I would be dead if we were in the wife's Prius for sure. They hit me in the door. I walked away very sore for awhile, but no broken bones and only a few minor cuts on my left arm from the window glass.

I did just send an email to the email that was listed above. Thanks for that. I will see if anything happens. I also have everything submitted to VW at this point and I am in limbo again until they respond in some way. I suspect that could be weeks, but there is no way to know.

I have nothing bad to say about these cars. Other than a couple recall issues and minor things, they were the best thing going. I had a hard time finding a car with similar MPG and back seat room. I lost a lot of trunk space though and the handling of the new car is not as good. It has more options though.
Here is a testament to the safety of these things...my poor mint condition 6 speed :(
https://s4.postimg.org/6cm01qorf/20150118_171950.jpg
https://s28.postimg.org/q123qs24d/20150912_214901.jpg
https://s28.postimg.org/v0zjyq7r1/20150912_214914.jpg

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I stopped reading at the "original sin" in this post, which is that the dealer sold you the car after the stop sale was declared.
No, it was perfectly legal for the dealer to sell a used TDI at any time--it remains so today. They haven't been able to sell them new or CPO since 9/18/15, but used remains just fine. I've bought two used TDIs from VW dealers in the last year, both of which are now sold back.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Hopefully the lawyers can provide some help in getting this sorted out. You highlighted my exact issue with the entire process. If there are no hiccups and everything goes smooth the process is pretty straight forward. However, the minute you actually need to speak with someone to correct a problem, especially one like yours it's a royal PITA! This should have been resolved in less than a couple hours with a simple phone call to say there's a clerical error with the payoff amount, the person on the other end fixes it, resends the updated offer letter and you're then done with this ordeal by now. Instead, you're stuck in the VW buyback black hole.

Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Jevs, why not simply fax the lien release to VW along with a cover letter. Make sure you have the claim number on all faxed documents. That would be better than uploading the lien release in place of the title. I don't think you can update the upload after it's done anyway, so I think faxing may be your only option.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Jevs, why not simply fax the lien release to VW along with a cover letter. Make sure you have the claim number on all faxed documents. That would be better than uploading the lien release in place of the title. I don't think you can update the upload after it's done anyway, so I think faxing may be your only option.
This option was not offered or asked for. They never actually ask for a lien release. I guess they think your magically going to produce a new title front without the original lien holder info printed on it. Technically you could do this if you wanted to apply for a new title, pay a fee, and wait for a new copy. I am not doing that. It is not required to transfer the car to the next owner. The lien release is all that is required.

What a joke, I just got this now:
The following document(s) require action and the reason they require action has been provided:

• Front of Certificate of Title - Incorrect document
How did I ever guess this is what they would do....

I combined the lien release as the second page of the title front this time and resubmitted it again....and now more waiting.

They never asked for a lien release yet. They just keep asking for the front of the title, like I am going to magically erase the lien information.....

Maybe someone will now see both documents and move me back in the queue where I was months ago.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could actually get a person on the line to tell them what they should already know or get some help.

I will look into faxing this separate as well. After all, I work for free. Maybe next I can hand deliver some copies to corporate over in Germany.

I am going to start the chat thing up and keep restarting it to see if I can get someone to answer today....at least that has the benefit of being able to copy and paste the conversation for my records. I would bet money they just tell me there is nothing I can do but wait. Their system has had all the information they need, they just don't know what they are doing.

Here we go again. I wish I could get paid for my time wasted on this project.

"Thank you for your patience. We are experiencing high chat volumes. Alternatively, you may contact us at 1-844-98-CLAIM (844-982-5246)."

This will be followed by time outs all day long....I can't sit on the phone at work, so that is not an option.

Last edited:

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I actually got through. It was useless though.

Chat History (agent typing...)
User @ 2/22/17 11:51 AM :

==> Hello. I would like to chat with a Claims Agent.

Chat Connected

An online assistant will be with you shortly

Thank you for your patience. We are experiencing high chat volumes. Alternatively, you may contact us at 1-844-98-CLAIM (844-982-5246)

An online assistant has been connected

Welcome to online chat. Please submit your question to an agent using the below dialog box.
Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:06 PM :

==> Hello! Thank you for contacting VW Court Settlement. Please verify your Name, 9 digit Claim Number and Mailing Address.
User @ 2/22/17 12:06 PM :

==> "Me"

==> "My Claim number"

==> "My address"
Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:06 PM :

==> How may I assist you?
User @ 2/22/17 12:07 PM :

==> Well. I need you to buy my car back and quit messing up the paperwork.
User @ 2/22/17 12:07 PM :

==> They sent me my first offer with a payoff of over $70,000 because someone on VW side typed in the payoff amount wrong.
User @ 2/22/17 12:08 PM :

==> it was around $700.

==> I contacted you guys several times and just kept getting told to wait.

==> They eventually backed my claim up and left me in limbo.

==> In the mean time I paid my car off.
User @ 2/22/17 12:09 PM :

==> After hearing nothing, I called back and then I was told I have to start an all new claim.

==> I did this

==> Now they keep asking me for the front of the title, which I have now sent twice.

==> They say it had lien holder info on it.
User @ 2/22/17 12:10 PM :

==> Of course it does! A lien holder sends a notarized lien release. They never hold the title in "my state".

==> So, I uploaded the lien release instead of the title front and now they rejected that as well.

==> They never ask or give an option to add the lien release.

==> I just submitted the title front again and added the lien release as a second page to the same document.
User @ 2/22/17 12:11 PM :

==> Now I want someone to verify they have everything they need and move on to my new offer letter. I want this expedited.
User @ 2/22/17 12:12 PM :

==> I will already have to pay personal property tax again on this car and I will also be losing my tax credit on my new car if this is not done soon.

==> I am also paying for full coverage on a car I cannot and do not want to drive.

==> It needs several recalls and one causes no heat.

==> Also I cannot put more miles on the car.
User @ 2/22/17 12:13 PM :

==> it has cost me thousands due to the error of VW on my payoff amount.

Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:14 PM :

==> I certainly do apologize for the inconvenience but, unfortunately, no claim can be expedited. Each claimant must go through the same process. As of right now, your documents are under review and a new final offer is being created for you.
User @ 2/22/17 12:14 PM :

==> I already went through the process twice now and I submitted everything asked for 100% correctly!
User @ 2/22/17 12:15 PM :

==> How can I not get my claim expedited since it should have been bought back already. I did not make any mistakes.

Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:18 PM :

==> When new information is submitted, it must go through the standard review process. The information that has been submitted for this particular claim, is different from the information that you initially submitted. The review process takes up to 20 business days to be completed and, again, no claim can be expedited. I do apologize for the inconvenience but, these are the court approved processes that each claimant is required to go through and we, on our end, have no way of changing that. Your claim is being processed as quickly as possible.
User @ 2/22/17 12:19 PM :

==> Do you now have the documents needed to satisfy "Front of Title"?
User @ 2/22/17 12:21 PM :

==> You never give any place to add the lien release. There is no such thing as a title without the lien holder information. In "my state" the lien is released with a notarized letter, not a new title. I added the lien release to the Title front this time since your system does not allow or ask for proper documentation to be sent.

Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:22 PM :

==> As the document review process is overseen by a separate department, I do not have the authority to say whether or not the documents that you've submitted are satisfactory. However, they are currently under review and you will be contacted once they're, either, approved or rejected.
User @ 2/22/17 12:23 PM :

==> Can you give me contact information to issue a complaint with the FTC?
User @ 2/22/17 12:23 PM :

==> There is no reason I should have had to start a new claim because VW made a typo.
User @ 2/22/17 12:24 PM :

==> You even made me get a new email address to start the new claim.
User @ 2/22/17 12:25 PM :

==> If they claim that there is still a problem with the title info, what is my recourse? There is no problem with the documentation and VW does not know what they are doing. If they reject anything again, this needs to be escalated to the FTC or an attorney.
Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:26 PM :

==> If you have any questions, comments or concerns, you may address them with the Class Counsel at: (800) 948-2181 or info@vwclasscounsel.com
Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:26 PM :

==> Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

User @ 2/22/17 12:27 PM :

==> It does not appear you can.

User @ 2/22/17 12:28 PM :

==> I will contact the class counsel while I wait for VW's next response to my claim.

Tiffany @ 2/22/17 12:29 PM :

==> Again, I apologize for all of the confusion. I do hope that any issues you are currently facing with your claim is resolved soon. If there is nothing else I can assist you with, have a great rest of your day!

So, I know I may sound mean, and I know this person is just doing a job and spouting out canned answers, but again I have no information or assistance to actually help me other than waiting. I feel bad for the person on the other end when it is VW's fault and policies making this difficult, not them necessarily.

I don't think I have ever been in a situation like this where there is never anyone higher than the first contact to speak with or have any communications with.

I have already sent an email to the Counsel, but if I can figure out where to get some time, I may follow up with calling them. In the mean time, back to waiting.

By the way, 20 days is a lie. They never even got close to that the first time around. It took waaaay longer. Even doing two claims now, it should not have taken nearly 6 months when every correspondence and information was provided same day. I started this process the first day you could and there have been no mistakes in my paperwork on my end.

Last edited:

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60

I'd make a two page document with the title and the lien release. Put the release first and the title second. Maybe a little note on the lien release that the title follows on page 2.

I uploaded a multi page document or two and had no problems (not this exact circumstance but not where multi page was expected)

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I basically did this, but put the title first and lien second. The title of the upload is front of title, so I hope they see that first and are smart enough to look at the second page.
Hopefully my chat session caused them to add some note's behind the scenes for the document review.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
Here is what I did (and reported elsewhere on this site):

I emailed a very nice and polite and factual email letter to the 3 top VW executives: mark.mcnabb@vw.com, robert.martell@vw.com, hinrich.woebcken@vw.com head of operations, head of communications, and CEO US, respectively.

By the 5 pm the next day a senior assistant called me back and expedited my application. I got my approval letter minutes later. On day 2 I completed the notary work and at 5 pm that day the senior assistant called back and within 5 minutes I was approved for buyback. Said she, "Fastest ever!"

NICE, POLITE AND FACTUAL is the key!

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I don't think you were mean. You were more polite than I would have been. I agree, it sucks to be a VW rep on the other end and not have any authority to do anything other than look at the same information we can see and have a canned response of "it's under review". I would definitely escalate your case with VW class counsel and drop an email to the folks above. It can't hurt and might actually get you moving. The other option is call your local media and see if they would be interested in doing a story on your situation.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I might have to go that route. I will see what happens on the next document response. If they do not move forward to the next step, I will have no choice but to do something else. They have all the proper documentation. There is nothing more I can do for them without going beyond what should be legally required.

The only other thing I could do is pay for a replacement title from the state and give the state the lien release. They would issue me a new title without the lien holder listed on the front. That would just add unnecessary cost and time though. There is no reason I should have to do this other than trying to circumvent problems with VW's system.

The normal process is to provide the title and lien release to the next buyer or dealer. Removing the listed lien holder from the original printed title is never needed or required. The only time a new title is issued is to the next owner, or if you request a replacement.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I don't think you were mean. You were more polite than I would have been. I agree, it sucks to be a VW rep on the other end and not have any authority to do anything other than look at the same information we can see and have a canned response of "it's under review". I would definitely escalate your case with VW class counsel and drop an email to the folks above. It can't hurt and might actually get you moving. The other option is call your local media and see if they would be interested in doing a story on your situation.
The media aspect has crossed my mind....beginning with the dealer that sold me the car as if nothing was wrong or going on. I went back to that dealer when I found out I was going to have to buy a different car and they did not want to do anything for me and were full of misinformation just trying to get me to go away.
They were basically making me wait for them to handle other customers in the middle of our talk. They did not want to miss a sale to deal with me. They were even offering that they could give me a great deal on a new 2015 TDI when they get the fix and released for sale as if it was matter of fact....
I presented them with the difference I paid them and what the car is being valued at and also the deducted restitution. At the time the restitution was reported as being half ($2500), but now it has gone higher (still not full).
Either way, they were not going to do anything. I even asked them about buying my replacement car discounted the difference or for a great deal and they basically just gave me ridiculous prices that anyone off the street would get. I even went so far as to explain to the guy why he should be willing to lose money on this sale rather than make money to compensate the trouble. No way that was going to happen. They still wanted to make money on anything I would by from them as if I was a new customer off the street.
I handled the entire conversation nicely and and never lost my cool. I basically went through this exercise just to prove I made some effort and contacted them to see what they would do about it. If I ever had to take this further, it could not be said that I never attempted or asked for some form of restitution from them before escalating things.

With all of this said, all I really want to do is get my check and quit paying out money every month to keep this car insured. All they had to do is honor buying it back properly and they would never hear from me again. I don't want to keep wasting my time and money on this...I already have over 10,000 miles on the replacement car.

Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Well good luck. It might be easier, and faster to just get the new title. A few extra dollars out of pocket and a couple hours at the DMV might be faster than waiting for VW to flop around with the paperwork for another 2-3 months.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Well good luck. It might be easier, and faster to just get the new title. A few extra dollars out of pocket and a couple hours at the DMV might be faster than waiting for VW to flop around with the paperwork for another 2-3 months.
It is not just that, you would have to wait for them to send it.
Time is money. I do have a lot going on in my personal life right now with 4 kids, 6 rental properties, a 9-10 hour a day job, 2 hours commuting, and I am planning and building a new house because we sold ours and are living with family....not like I have time for this.
What I have done already is 100% correct and legal. It is nonsense to do more. I have already done more than I should have to..twice.
I am not sure why people want to keep shifting this to me doing more for them....it should not be that way. What I should be doing is suing them for more compensation and include the dealer. Let a lawyer handle it. But honestly, I just want my money and the car gone. I am not looking to make this take longer or take on more work for no more benefit.
Right now, I will just wait a couple days and see what happens. I have other things to do.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
What I have done already is 100% correct and legal.
Agreed, at least from what you've said.
I am not sure why people want to keep shifting this to me doing more for them.
Which is more important to you: to be right, or to have this taken care of? If you give VW a title with no lienholder listed, or with the lien release noted on the title itself, the odds are very good that they'll process it smoothly. If you insist on sticking with only the documents you have now, the odds are good that they'll eventually get it right, but it could be a while, and may well take several trips on the merry-go-round. Should it be this way? No. But it is.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I am already right. However, I am not willing to spend any more time on this for a few days. I have too many other things to do and the weather is nice. I already lost too much time the past couple days dealing with this and sadly, just posting here is pretty time consuming. I wish I had more time...
I will post back on the next correspondence from VW and go from there.

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
I just sent you 2 emails. One is the generic info council the other is a man that contacted me direct asking if I was at resolution. Check your inbox. BTW. I just sold my TDI back thru the buyback program.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Thanks. I did send an email to one of those.
If I do not hear something back in the next couple days from someone, then I will look into further inquires.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
They must be working overtime tonight, or my chat did some good. This just came through at 9:58 PM.

We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number XXXXXXXXX. Currently, your application contains all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the VW/Audi Diesel Emissions Settlement Program.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Unfortunately, from everything I read, they could sell me the car because it was not listed as a "Certified Pre-owned". This is shady for sure, but I guess they can get away with it? The other kick in the gutt is that I have an exact snapshot of what the car was worth on or about the day the value is frozen because I bought it right then. This was even the best price car I found in the area. I took a a 3k hit right there and on top of a lowered restitution due to the day after sale.
The other kicker is that I actually bought a brand new one of these cars and I get nothing for that because it was totaled. It had less miles than the replacement. It got T-boned by a 3/4 ton dodge diesel and my only choice was to buy a used replacement. These cars are safe and I wanted another one. I would be dead if we were in the wife's Prius for sure. They hit me in the door. I walked away very sore for awhile, but no broken bones and only a few minor cuts on my left arm from the window glass.

I did just send an email to the email that was listed above. Thanks for that. I will see if anything happens. I also have everything submitted to VW at this point and I am in limbo again until they respond in some way. I suspect that could be weeks, but there is no way to know.

I have nothing bad to say about these cars. Other than a couple recall issues and minor things, they were the best thing going. I had a hard time finding a car with similar MPG and back seat room. I lost a lot of trunk space though and the handling of the new car is not as good. It has more options though.
Here is a testament to the safety of these things...my poor mint condition 6 speed :(
https://s4.postimg.org/6cm01qorf/20150118_171950.jpg
https://s28.postimg.org/q123qs24d/20150912_214901.jpg
https://s28.postimg.org/v0zjyq7r1/20150912_214914.jpg
I missed the part where this was a non CPO used car. The stop sale was on new and CPO, as Volkswagen has no control over what used cars a dealer sells. The dealer I worked at stopped selling anything 2.0 TDI when the stop sale came out.