Which navigation/radio for an 06 Jetta?

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hello! I recently pulled the trigger on an 06 TDI Jetta instead of driving my H/C/I Camaro as a daily. My Jetta has the base radio but I'm entertaining the notion of installing a compatible navigation/radio. I've read the FAQs and understand my car would have the 'dealer installed' module behind the radio. The reason for my post I guess is that at this point in these car's lifetime, there is a consensus 'best buy' for what you're after. Im after a unit that has navigation but also bluetooth compatibility as my main source of music is Spotify through my Iphone. This thread is particularly interesting-

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=456494

Is that Chinese unit my best bet or is there a better unit out there? From reading the FAQ, it looks like the factory replacement units are much more expensive.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Hello! I recently pulled the trigger on an 06 TDI Jetta instead of driving my H/C/I Camaro as a daily. My Jetta has the base radio but I'm entertaining the notion of installing a compatible navigation/radio. I've read the FAQs and understand my car would have the 'dealer installed' module behind the radio. The reason for my post I guess is that at this point in these car's lifetime, there is a consensus 'best buy' for what you're after. Im after a unit that has navigation but also bluetooth compatibility as my main source of music is Spotify through my Iphone. This thread is particularly interesting-
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=456494
Is that Chinese unit my best bet or is there a better unit out there? From reading the FAQ, it looks like the factory replacement units are much more expensive.
I did a Chinese aftermarket for my 09....No problems and full steering wheel controls.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
None. For what you pay for them, in dash Navis are lame. Steering wheel buttons are kinda lame, as well.

Use the Google Maps app on your smart phone. Real time data, turn by turn voice prompts, Buetooth and only cost you for the data you use.

When I traveled with the company I used Google Maps a bunch. The really great thing about it is it is not hard wired into the car so you can use it with any Personal car, Rental/heap you happen to be driving or even if you are walking.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I have a 2006 as well. Initially I installed a RCN-320 initially. Bluetooth streaming worked great, I just had an issue with the noise cancellation cutting back during calls. Cost was less than $100, and I'm going to be selling mine soon. I just installed a used RNS-315, and with everything I should be getting that finalized for under $300. So big question is do you have steering wheel radio controls. If so, both of these units work with an upgraded SWCM. Neither work though with data being displayed in the MFA, if you have the highline cluster. If you want any further information on these let me know and I can expand/point you to more information elsewhere.

For navigation though, I agree that a phone with Google Maps or CoPilot could work better, or even a windshield mount GPS. Don't know how the aftermarket systems get map updates, but the current price for an update for the RNS-315 is about $130. For that I could get another Garmin with Lifetime map updates. I'm hoping for a better Bluetooth calling experience with this radio than I've had before.

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
None. For what you pay for them, in dash Navis are lame. Steering wheel buttons are kinda lame, as well.

Use the Google Maps app on your smart phone. Real time data, turn by turn voice prompts, Buetooth and only cost you for the data you use.

When I traveled with the company I used Google Maps a bunch. The really great thing about it is it is not hard wired into the car so you can use it with any Personal car, Rental/heap you happen to be driving or even if you are walking.

The one deal killer for me with sticking with the stock radio is I need Bluetooth. My main source of music is Spotify on my Iphone. Thats the majority of the reason for me to buy an updated unit. But I also see that these Chinese units have apparently caught on and as such theyve jacked their price up to 200$ or more.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Recently installed a chinese-market RCD510 in my '06 Jetta. It is an OEM unit from a China market vehicle. Along with it, I installed a Bluetooth module, AUX jack and USB port in the center console (integration with Apple products). Radio was $100 (eBay) and took a week to get. They offer the same model with rearview-camera input for $110. No nav, but nothing beats Google Maps or Waze on your phone anyway

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Here are the links to the exact parts (sellers) I bought, shipping was quick:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332026218702

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280972320046

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-9W2-Blu...ash=item3609b60951:g:kqUAAOSwLF1X2VcL&vxp=mtr

You may or may not need an upgraded CAN module, depending if the new radio drains your battery when the car is off (doesn't fall asleep). I bought this one, just in case, but didn't need to install it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261792873133

Let me know if you have any questions!

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for the links! They generate 2 more questions though. Are there no units that contain the bluetooth modules within them? Or are they always a separate device purchase?

Also, I've read in the FAQ that on earlier Jettas (like my 06) that Bluetooth modules were dealer installed. Does this mean every card had one and they were just installed once they arrived at dealers or was it simply an option upon car purchase? Is there a way to know without popping the radio out if I have the module?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
The module would be installed under the passenger seat. As far as I understand, if you have a multifunction steering wheel with the 2 phone buttons on it, you may have Bluetooth. A simple check would also be to look under the seat. Any OEM-type radio will have the BT module separate from the radio.

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
Also, I've read in the FAQ that on earlier Jettas (like my 06) that Bluetooth modules were dealer installed. Does this mean every card had one and they were just installed once they arrived at dealers or was it simply an option upon car purchase? Is there a way to know without popping the radio out if I have the module?
Up until about 2009 or so, there was no VW BT module for the US market, factory or accessory. I think there was a dealer installed Motorola unit that was sold through the VW parts network, but it wasn't well integrated or supported.

Starting around 2009, VW came out with the Volk-L unit, which is the equivalent of a 9W2 factory unit. I got one of these for my 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg. It could be dealer installed or port installed. My memory is a bit hazy, but I don't think you could stream audio with the older gen 1 radios, such as a Premium 7. I think you need at least a gen 2, such as an RCD-510.

The 2011-2013 RNS-315s have the BT module built in. Even though a 2011 RNS-315 has an internal BT module, it is actually disabled via coding by VW. An external module (9W7) was factory installed that year on RNS-315 equipped cars because the internal module was feature-limited. So, if you want an RNS-315, your best bet is to get a 2012 or 2013 as these have full functionality. Most of the 2014-15 RNS-315 units do not have an internal BT module as they get their BT functionality through a newer style MDI unit.

My 2010 JSW came with a factory installed 9W2 unit. I think this was the first year for factory installed units and these are under the RF seat in a styrofoam box. I've had a bunch of different radios and BT units in the car over the years. Right now I'm actually using a 2013 RNS-315 from a Jetta Hybrid. I also have a 2012 unit from a Golf R on the shelf. If you are interested in either of these, PM me and I'll give you more info.

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Up until about 2009 or so, there was no VW BT module for the US market, factory or accessory. I think there was a dealer installed Motorola unit that was sold through the VW parts network, but it wasn't well integrated or supported.

Starting around 2009, VW came out with the Volk-L unit, which is the equivalent of a 9W2 factory unit. I got one of these for my 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg. It could be dealer installed or port installed. My memory is a bit hazy, but I don't think you could stream audio with the older gen 1 radios, such as a Premium 7. I think you need at least a gen 2, such as an RCD-510.

The 2011-2013 RNS-315s have the BT module built in. Even though a 2011 RNS-315 has an internal BT module, it is actually disabled via coding by VW. An external module (9W7) was factory installed that year on RNS-315 equipped cars because the internal module was feature-limited. So, if you want an RNS-315, your best bet is to get a 2012 or 2013 as these have full functionality. Most of the 2014-15 RNS-315 units do not have an internal BT module as they get their BT functionality through a newer style MDI unit.

My 2010 JSW came with a factory installed 9W2 unit. I think this was the first year for factory installed units and these are under the RF seat in a styrofoam box. I've had a bunch of different radios and BT units in the car over the years. Right now I'm actually using a 2013 RNS-315 from a Jetta Hybrid. I also have a 2012 unit from a Golf R on the shelf. If you are interested in either of these, PM me and I'll give you more info.
Thanks for the info. So with the RNS 315s, the bluetooth module is internal within the stereo? I simply want the radio to play music from my Iphone 5 either via a self contained bluetooth module or through a hardwire connection- whichever is the more cost effective method. From what I've seen, most of the hard wiring harness kits cost 100$ (Ive been waiting Enfig videos on youtube) and at that price point I might as well just upgrade radios- IF they have models with a self contained bluetooth unit.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
If you want to have hands free you have to installed a mic.

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Going by what I want, it looks like my best bet is an RMT 300. The Bluetooth module is built within the radio, it has phone capabilities and an auxiliary port to hook up an Iphone.

People are right- navigation is silly when a mounted phone works just as well and you don't have to worry about overpriced map purchases.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Going by what I want, it looks like my best bet is an RMT 300. The Bluetooth module is built within the radio, it has phone capabilities and an auxiliary port to hook up an Iphone.

People are right- navigation is silly when a mounted phone works just as well and you don't have to worry about overpriced map purchases.
1) No it doesn't (built in GPS goes through speaker system and screen is larger)
2) Who pays for maps?

Just a sample on IGO8. There's nothing like it.

http://artwork-igo8.blogspot.com/search/label/car collection

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
..what? I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

"People are right- navigation is silly when a mounted phone works just as well and you don't have to worry about overpriced map purchases".

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
Now the question becomes does anyone know where I can get a plug and play adapter for an RMT 300 radio for an 06 Yetta? DeutcheWorks makes one but from what I've seen don't offer it separately.