Completed Phase 1 TDI Fix on my 2015 TDI Sportwagen

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
The important questions are have you been driving the same routes you normally do and in your normal fashion? And how different is that mileage calculation from what you were getting previously before having the fix done (if any difference)?
- yes
- yes
- nada

willie
on the warm Gulf of Mexico

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Hard to figure out why these cars didn't have this tune from the factory.
It's reasonable to conclude at this point that the cars that could have been fixed under the radar weren't because that removes any plausible deniability defense the executives are going to try and make in their criminal trials.

That is, once you fix something that's an admission it was broken and so far their story has been that they didn't know anything was wrong. This is also the best answer for why a fix hasn't been sitting on the shelf all these years (or if it was, VW "produced" it over time) when the engineers and execs knew it was a matter of time before discovery.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
FYI. If you get the VW Fix done before VW approves your claim selection, you DO NOT qualify for the restitution payment.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
No, pretty sure that's correct, at least under the US settlement. If the car's had an Approved Emissions Modification done, it is no longer an Eligible Vehicle.
OK, i was a bit harsh, but how would that invalidate a claim for damages? that is, if a dealer does the fix without a customer's knowledge and without advising or asking the customer if a claim was in process, wouldn't the dealer be liable for loss of the emissions modification settlement payment to the customer? i just don't see how that liability could be avoided? and wouldn't a dealer ask first? and how would the dealer claim the recall work to VW without the VIN matching a claim?

willie
on the rainy Gulf of Mexico

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Just had phase I done. Have only driven back to work from the dealer. Other than a slightly different engine sound, I can't say I can tell any difference. I did not roll into it, so I can't comment on how it pulls yet. MFD got up to 45 mpg on the way back to work.
The sound is more of a "growling" sound if that makes any sense.
I'll do a detailed update in a few days of driving.

Last edited:

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Our 2015 has always had more of a growing sound than our 2010. Our 2010 is my dailydriver, so I've not gotten so accustomed to the 2015 that I don't notice it. The growl in our 2015 seems the same to me as before, and my wife, who drives the 2015 daily, hasn't remarked about any change in sound. If it were my daily driver, I wonder if I'd be overanalysing its sounds. I've done this with modifications I've done to cars in the past.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Our 2015 has always had more of a growing sound than our 2010. Our 2010 is my dailydriver, so I've not gotten so accustomed to the 2015 that I don't notice it. The growl in our 2015 seems the same to me as before, and my wife, who drives the 2015 daily, hasn't remarked about any change in sound. If it were my daily driver, I wonder if I'd be overanalysing its sounds. I've done this with modifications I've done to cars in the past.
On my 25 mile commute to work this morning I really tried to observe any impacts from the fix.
MPG's according to the MDF seemed to not have been effected. Around 47 which seems to be around average. As far as that "push you in the seat" feeling I really could not tell it had changed. You have to be right in that sweet rpm range to feel it, but it's always been like that.
I suspect that if you do mostly start and stop driving your DEF usage may increase, highway driving not so much.
So in summary, no noticeable effects for me. It just may be that my senses are not as keen as some. Some say they can tell a difference in performance when they change their oil. :eek:
However I do think it sounds slightly different, but like you said maybe that's just because I never paid attention. As someone here speculated, it may be related to the DEF dosing.
Bottom line. Sassified. Should get me email in a few days. :) I want to thank everyone here who offered feedback from the phase 1 fix. It helped me decide to keep the car and take the restitution cash.

Last edited:

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Bottom line. Sassified. I want to thank everyone here who offered feedback from the phase 1 fix. It helped me decide to keep the car and take the restitution cash.
I do appreciate reading these anecdotes but you/we will feel cheated once/if the STAGE 2 fix makes a noticeable impact on fuel economy and 'pep'.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I do appreciate reading these anecdotes but you/we will feel cheated once/if the STAGE 2 fix makes a noticeable impact on fuel economy and 'pep'.
Stage 2 is a hardware fix.....and unknown at this time but I I fail to see how a hardware fix takes away "Pep"....time will tell....

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
Just had phase I done. Have only driven back to work from the dealer. Other than a slightly different engine sound, I can't say I can tell any difference. I did not roll into it, so I can't comment on how it pulls yet. MFD got up to 45 mpg on the way back to work.
The sound is more of a "growling" sound if that makes any sense.
I'll do a detailed update in a few days of driving.
Makes perfect sense to me. I also notice more of a growl. No difference in mpg or pep. I have a 2015 jetta 6MT. Phase 1 completed. Very happy with everything my car has to offer.

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE 6MT
I had my car done a couple of weeks ago, and recently did a weekend road trip with the family, driving on both typical highways and narrower/twisty/curvy roads. I'm kinda disappointed -- my car used to be fun to drive, now it feels like there's about half as much power. It almost feels like they've deactivated the turbo! I used to be able to chirp the tires aggressively taking off from a red light, now the car won't do that. Mileage still seems good which I'm pleased with, but the car just feels less fun now. :(

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
I had my car done a couple of weeks ago, and recently did a weekend road trip with the family, driving on both typical highways and narrower/twisty/curvy roads. I'm kinda disappointed -- my car used to be fun to drive, now it feels like there's about half as much power. It almost feels like they've deactivated the turbo! I used to be able to chirp the tires aggressively taking off from a red light, now the car won't do that. Mileage still seems good which I'm pleased with, but the car just feels less fun now. :(
My car does that too when it suddenly has the weight of several passengers and cargo plus maybe a full tank of fuel.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
... snip.....
Edit --
For those interested, after you accept the offer in the portal, they ask you to schedule an appointment. They will show you your "preferred dealer" and you can schedule an appointment online from there. I had questions, so I called my dealer service department directly. They asked me 2 or 3 times if I was sure I completed the paperwork and was authorized to receive the fix. Upon arrival at the dealer, they said it would take 3 hours. I spoke with the actual technician and he said it was simply a software update. In that, he hooked up his computer and flashed the ECU. This was followed by the new under-hood sticker, (which was done hastily with a sharpie) and a quick drive around the area to make sure the car functioned and no codes were produced. There was also paperwork that had to be completed and this took some time as well. I was waiting about 2.5 hours while I did some work on my laptop. The technician mentioned that I was the 5th car to receive it and they hadn't heard of any issues or had anybody call back yet. He gave me a new window sticker that showed the "new EPA figures which are unchanged". The next page had some details on the work that would be done in the phases and that I would be receiving the 2/3 money today and the rest later.
After checking the console to make sure the coins were still there, I was off. Pretty painless for a dealer visit.

"Window sticker" ? = MONRONEY ? (with same or different MPG numbers?)

Thanks

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Just under 13,000 miles on the new software. I've still noticed no difference. Charting the long-term with Fuelly:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2015/16vjohn/353642/fuelchart

There are more dramatic swings in MPGs this year. I attribute some of the biggest swings to road trips, but overall, the MPG is all over the place after the software flash. The average still comes back right around where it should be, but my observation is this. Post phase 1, the city driving is much less efficient and the highway driving is mildly more efficient. Average that out over many months and it looks like my average has slowly gone down over the last three years... perhaps by about 1 or 2 average. The difference is small enough that it could just be my driving habits and characteristics have changed.

Bottom line, I really don't think the fix made any measurable impact. If it did, it was miniscule. Need more data.

andytoby

TDI
Golf
Finally decided to keep the GSW SEL 6MT and get the fix done. It seems that most of the changes people see are on the automatic cars.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Finally decided to keep the GSW SEL 6MT and get the fix done. It seems that most of the changes people see are on the automatic cars.
2015 TDi Golf DSG -- 6,025 on the clock

i'ma going for the fix. Mostly city driving. Even if the city drops badly, (strong 40s now) it is mostly an ego issue.