Don't forget to cancel your extended warranty before you give your TDI back

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
Anyone have issues canceling their extended warranty?
My buy back was 12/30 called the dealer the following week to cancel the warranty, sent in the confirmation that the car was bought back and was told I would need to sign paperwork.
3 wks later call the same dealer get a b.s. Run around about the status , call the following week and ask again I was told I would get a follow up later that day .
Indeed later that day I did get an email with the paperwork that needed to be signed, signed and send back next day . This was last week , finally today I call the actual warranty company CNA national and was told there was no attempt to cancel the policy.... but since I have a copy of the termination paperwork I could just fax it directly to the. Which I did.
I was then told there is an issue with canceling policies that are due to the vw buyback and to call back Friday to find out what is happening....
The dealer is Crowel vw here in CT anyone else have issues with them or get the same problem from the warranty company CNA or other ?
I live 100 miles from the dealer I bought the car from and refused to drive that far just to have to deal with BS like you did, so I called the number for the warranty company and they told me exactly what to mail/fax to get my refund.

I mailed the docs rather than faxing them, but it did take about a month to get my check. how long has it been since you faxed the warranty provider?

Warning to others though... don't bother going to the dealer (even though that is what the contract says) just call their support number and they will (eventually) tell you how to do it yourself!

Edit: I cancelled my warranty exactly 1 hour after my buyback was complete, I think you have to go to the dealer if you still have the car because they need to validate your mileage... I just had to provide the buyback receipt for that.

Last edited:

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
I live 100 miles from the dealer I bought the car from and refused to drive that far just to have to deal with BS like you did, so I called the number for the warranty company and they told me exactly what to mail/fax to get my refund.

I mailed the docs rather than faxing them, but it did take about a month to get my check. how long has it been since you faxed the warranty provider?

Warning to others though... don't bother going to the dealer (even though that is what the contract says) just call their support number and they will (eventually) tell you how to do it yourself!

Edit: I cancelled my warranty exactly 1 hour after my buyback was complete, I think you have to go to the dealer if you still have the car because they need to validate your mileage... I just had to provide the buyback receipt for that.
The official cancellation request was this Monday 2/19 when I called I realized it may take time to process and see the money that's not my beef .
It's that the dealer dropped the ball, like you the dealer is far away I never went there I called and was emailed the cancellation form ( long story short).
Also questioning the warranty company saying there's is special "problems " with canceling tdi vehicles how is it different then abnormal vehicle sale to them ?

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
The official cancellation request was this Monday 2/19 when I called I realized it may take time to process and see the money that's not my beef .
It's that the dealer dropped the ball, like you the dealer is far away I never went there I called and was emailed the cancellation form ( long story short).
Also questioning the warranty company saying there's is special "problems " with canceling tdi vehicles how is it different then abnormal vehicle sale to them ?
That is odd... I wonder if they just have more cancellations to process now that buybacks are underway, or if the problem is something else... either way hope you get your refund soon!

I almost forgot that I called in to my dealership too a few weeks before my buyback and they promised they would email me the paperwork for the cancellation and never did. I took it as a blessing in disguise that I didn't even bother trying to work with the dealer any further.

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
That is odd... I wonder if they just have more cancellations to process now that buybacks are underway, or if the problem is something else... either way hope you get your refund soon!
I almost forgot that I called in to my dealership too a few weeks before my buyback and they promised they would email me the paperwork for the cancellation and never did. I took it as a blessing in disguise that I didn't even bother trying to work with the dealer any further.
The problem seemed to be specific to customers affected by the TDI buy back ....
Maybe it's an internal paperwork/computer input problem but I'll update tomorrow when I call.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>Unfortunately, before that I ran into a sales person who was a big VW defender and argued with me about VW's compliance with the deadlines.
Well, you argued with them, too. Last time I looked, it took two people to make an argument. It's been several decades since I started just walking away from those occasions, and my digestion has been better ever since.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60

If this is Fidelity, the reason they want you to go to the dealer is not necessarily to check the mileage -- I did my cancellation last summer by fax directly with Fidelity. The dealer sold it and they want the dealer to cancel it as the dealer is the one who refunds you your pro-rated amount back. So they want you to run it all through the dealer, who handles it and lessens the work their back office needs to do.

However, the agreement (at least mine) allows for you to do it yourself directly with them and if you are insistent, they will eventually tell you where to fax etc. I just faxed a pic of the odometer as part of my letter to them. They then processed it on their side, but they STILL send the cancellation to the dealer for the dealer to process the refund. My refund came from my dealer still in a mailed check from them with a copy of the letter from Fidelity that instructed them to cancel and that it had already been verified and done in the back office, just the check needed to be issued.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
If this is Fidelity, the reason they want you to go to the dealer is not necessarily to check the mileage -- I did my cancellation last summer by fax directly with Fidelity. The dealer sold it and they want the dealer to cancel it as the dealer is the one who refunds you your pro-rated amount back. So they want you to run it all through the dealer, who handles it and lessens the work their back office needs to do.
However, the agreement (at least mine) allows for you to do it yourself directly with them and if you are insistent, they will eventually tell you where to fax etc. I just faxed a pic of the odometer as part of my letter to them. They then processed it on their side, but they STILL send the cancellation to the dealer for the dealer to process the refund. My refund came from my dealer still in a mailed check from them with a copy of the letter from Fidelity that instructed them to cancel and that it had already been verified and done in the back office, just the check needed to be issued.
So, mine is with Fidelity - the finance guy told me if I did it pre-buyback it would take 12 weeks to get the check, and doing it post would be 6-8 weeks.

The dealer cuts the check? Jerks. That is why I didn't buy my Hyundai from their dealership next door to the VW one.

Is the form they gave me to have filled out the same as what Fidelity will give me? I'm not going to them for my buyback either.

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
I called today and it was confirmed that it was canceled on the 21st and the dealer will issue a refund . Now I understand why dealers are so slow to take their time . It's not over yet... but hopefully soon . Steer clear of the Crowley family of dealerships ! A follow up call to the dealer will be on Monday.

dministrator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Sunroof+Nav
The dealership I bought my Passat from in '12 is no longer a VW place; they only do Audi now. To make things difficult, I moved to PNW a few months before the scandal broke.

However the fin-mgr said he is working on refunding the extended warranty. Still waiting.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
I moved out of the state I originally purchased my car from, too. I think I have extended coverage...hoping I can find some paperwork on this somewhere so I can find a number to call. My sales rep in Texas is now the sales manager for that VW dealer. Wonder how helpful he'll be now that I'm out the door?

-T.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
So, mine is with Fidelity - the finance guy told me if I did it pre-buyback it would take 12 weeks to get the check, and doing it post would be 6-8 weeks.
The dealer cuts the check? Jerks. That is why I didn't buy my Hyundai from their dealership next door to the VW one.
Is the form they gave me to have filled out the same as what Fidelity will give me? I'm not going to them for my buyback either.

It does not take 12 weeks. Mine took about 3 weeks or so IIRC.

I would do it directly through Fidelity. You can call them and if you are persistent enough they will send you the fax to send to and what to send. I took a picture of the odometer and sent that with. If you have already done the BB then get a copy of the odometer statement.

They will set the date/mileage and actually do the cancellation and send a letter to the dealer with the exact amount to send to you or to your bank if you still have a iien. They then follow up with you (at least they did with me) a few weeks later to make sure I got paid.