• Awesome, but not as nice as mine.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • OMG I want one too!

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

Hecklebone

TDI
Seems my best options are :
1) a BEW engine with PD, adding a Kerma 190hp kit.
2) an ALH engine with a VE pump, no electonics and a Kerma kit to get to 190hp with a bigger turbo and more agressive cam.

The principle difference is an ECU or mechanical. The toughest envrinment i will put it in is high altitude off roading in deep snow.

Could someone please help me decide on which config?

Thanks,
H.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Mind you, if you want quick boost response to get plenty of torque and not be surprised by turbo lag, you want a VNT, and the easiest way to control those is to use the electronics. If you're not fording deep rivers, though, I wouldn't worry about the electronics.

Also, there's three levels of 1.9 TDI block, as far as durability:

SDI/90 hp TDI - the ALH is at this level
100/110/115 hp TDI - the BEW is at this level
130/150/160 hp TDI - nothing US-spec is at this level, although IIRC the 2.0 PD (so BHW) blocks are similar (once you fix their balance shaft issue).

Kerma's not my first choice of vendor for performance hardware, and 190 hp is pushing an ALH *REALLY* hard. Like hard enough that I'd want at least a BEW block, if not a BHW block, under the ALH head. Hell, it's pushing a BEW quite hard, too.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I'd keep it with the D24T, add an intercooler and enjoy. I've got the same engine in my van, (LT31). These engines are around, just have to look. I have a line on one right now, was planning to buy it as a spare.

alphawerks

Veteran Member
TDI
many
I'd look for a 5 cyl tdi as it would bolt to the tranny, but they are euro only so that's a hassle.
I also know if a d24t in a volvo if you are interested. Supposed to be running, (at a scap yard) but would want going over to get it fully reliable.

Ryan

Hecklebone

TDI
Using a US engine would be nice for parts and service.
What about a TDI 2.0 CBE engine? Is it possible to convert one to all mechanical?
I can find them at a reasonable price. Put a slightly larger turbo on it with an all mechanical setup, id be in good shape, no?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Trying to make a CBEA all-mechanical is probably possible, but it'll require a bunch of highly obscure parts to do it, custom fabrication, and possibly a custom length timing belt.

Meatball1

TDI
None yet
This is my first post, couldn't help myself. A friend of mine imports these as well as mogs and Volvo 6x6 . If you plan to stick with oe I could ask where's the best place to get replacement parts or possibly a whole engine

rcollierf350

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDi, 1998 VW Jetta TDi
What happened??

So what happened, I am not seeing anything after 3/29/2013.
I am TDi fan with two TDi Jettas, 1998 and 2012, but I have a 1974 Pinzgauer 712 that I have always wanted to do a diesel swap in.