"Cookies" from PayPal on TDICLUB.COM?

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Has anybody noticed that PayPal attempts to save a cookie whenever you access tdiclub.com?

I recently set my browser to notify me of cookie requests in an attempt to limit adware and Spybots. I now get the cookie request for "APACHE" from PayPal whenever I access the site.

What's up with that :confused:

Jack

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I think there used to be a paypal link to donate to Fred...perhaps that's triggering the cookie warning.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Thanks, guys. I guess I'm a bit gunshy as I got nailed big-time by some spybot crud this weekend.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Paypal, trustworthy? There are many thousands of people and businesses that would contest that!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Make that relatively trustworthy, then.

I think Paypal can detect whether you're logged in, to personalize the button, and it leaves a cookie.

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
Not me

Im not getting either the warning or the cookie. I have my prefs set to allow only cookies from sites I navigate to. That's probably why.

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
I established a PP account, very much to pay vendors here on Fred's. I immediately got weekly 'security warnings' about access to an account that I never used. Each was reported to PP. Eventually I cancelled the credit card associated with the PP account and got more 'account warnings'. I don't regard them as trustworthy or e-bay for similar reasons. PP cookies are refused

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Doug Huffman said:
I established a PP account, very much to pay vendors here on Fred's. I immediately got weekly 'security warnings' about access to an account that I never used. Each was reported to PP. Eventually I cancelled the credit card associated with the PP account and got more 'account warnings'. I don't regard them as trustworthy or e-bay for similar reasons. PP cookies are refused
PayPal and eBay are both relatively trustworthy. The problem is that both are very popular with those who practice phishing. I know people who have never set up a PayPal account, and they receive those bogus "security warnings" too. I just forward them to spoof@paypal.com and delete them. Or, to spoof@ebay.com as the case may be.

I also get phony emails allegedly from banks or credit unions where I've never had an account. I try to report these, if the real financial institution makes it fairly easy to do so.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Doug, those are phishing attempts from other sites, not PayPal. I get a tons of the dumb things.... on all my email addresses, not just the one I use for PayPal!

-J

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Yes, on TDIClub.com there is a button to send a donation via paypal. Those phishing emails you recieve are just spam and they don't really know if you have an paypal account.

Either way many people find it convient to dontate to the forums so that's fine. If you want to donate, I'll still take a cheque via snail mail.;)

Fred