tranny oil type for 98 A3 Jetta 5 spd

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi! Just bought the 17mm hex to get tranny plug out. Still having difficulty shifting when cold. Now it creeps forward with clutch all way in.( till it gets warm, then no problems)I can't locate any redline MTL in my area(WNY),so I was wondering if Valvoline synthetic 75w90 would work or another brand(synthetic or regular?)Thanx

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
GL4, baby! GL4.

AMSOIL has a new product that's certainly suitable for the VW.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where would I get the gl4? Any national chain carry it like Pep Boys,Napa,Advance, or anyplace else(or stealership?)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

sure, the stealership has G50 and it's about $20/L.

GL4 is not that easy to find. Valvoline or Pennzoil offer it.

Any AMSOIL guys near you??

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good news- just ordered GL4 on amsoil web site only$7.80/ bottle- 3 bottles were 31.28 total. They had bulletin on site where they had to adjust their prices due to oil market.I'll let you know how long it takes to receive them.Thanx everybody for your help- this website is a moneysaver!!!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bobby, please let us know how this works out - - it could be an excellent alternative to the G50.

I'll also need to know how the car shifts on the first 0F day you encounter.

Thanks.

bottom_feeder

TDI
1998 jetta
Dieseldorf,

This question comes from a rookie; what is wrong with using Valvoline Synthetic 75W90? Would that product not protect the trans? or just not last as long as G50 or GL4? Thanks in advance.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
bottom, I don't know the specs for the Valv product off the top of my head. Is it GL4?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
are you going to be draining gear lube this evening?

bottom_feeder

TDI
1998 jetta
How did you guess!?

This is true; I actually checked my trans lubricant just today because I've got a leak - I'm not sure if it's motor oil or trans lube - anyway, I checked the lube and it was a little low (not up to bottom of fill hole) so I read in my Bentleys that I should use 75W90 synthetic, but I failed to see the GL4. So, I come inside and just happen to see this thread and, low and behold, I've used the wrong lube.

Yeah, I just went outside to find the drain plug. Good thing is I havn't put one mile on it with the GL5 in there. Do you think a few miles would hurt?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You should not be overly-concerned about the GL5 rating. It's not going to do damage, but the gearbox won't likely function right with it in there. It does need to be changed but I would not label it a crisis.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I tried Amsoil Series 2000 (the blue stuff) tranny oil at the 100,000-mile mark. I was unimpressed. I installed a Peloquin TBD at 160k and made the switch to Redline MTL. WOW! Great stuff! But it looks like you made your move already. I hope it works out well.

Scott

bottom_feeder

TDI
1998 jetta
OK. I'll look for the Redline MTL. If I can't find it I'll buy the Amsoil from the website like tdidieselbobny did. That may take a few days to get though. Good thing I have a bicycle to ride in the mean time. Thanks again for your help.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi! Received the Amsoil on Wed 10/5- ordered it on Fri.9/30.Haven't been having problems shifting lately, but changed tranny oil out anyway - very easy task.Easy way to refill is get a small funnel, buy 3ft. of 1/2" i.d. clear plastic tubing, and fill from above- leave drainpan under fill hole. Let you how it does when it gets cold.

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
Hi,

I tried Amsoil Series 2000 (the blue stuff) tranny oil at the 100,000-mile mark. I was unimpressed. I installed a Peloquin TBD at 160k and made the switch to Redline MTL. WOW! Great stuff! But it looks like you made your move already. I hope it works out well.

Scott
Scott, I used the Series 2000 in my '96 Passat and wasn't as impressed with the somewhat sticky 1st and 2nd shifts first thing in the morning. I'm using the AMSOIL MTL now, though, and it's BUTTERY smooth! I'm very happy with this fluid!

<font color="green">Everyone else: Before you hit the AMSOIL store to buy retail, check with your favorite AMSOIL dealer here on Fred's -- we're not selling to fellow TDIers at retail...</font>

Andy