2006 4motion tdi jetta

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
How many of you guys would like to see a 4motion swap into my 2006 jetta tdi?

how about a 6-speed swap too?
maybe an inch of lift?
some tires with a slightly larger sidewall?

been contemplating it for a while and really thinking about it now...

it will definitely take a long time to complete but i wont start the build until i have gathered all the parts and cleaned and re-conditioned all parts and painted everything...

i plan on stealing the 4-motion system from a golf of the same sub-frame.

sound feasible? will i be able to just transfer the system over or is it tied into the cars ecu as well?

:D

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
thanks for that link, it looks like it will be a very straight forward swap :) just need to aquire a totalled golf 4-motion, and swap the goodies :D

when i do this, i will put up a tutorial on converting the mkv jetta to 4-motion.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Mike knows his stuff and does great work. From the Vortex thread, it appears that others have similar interest. Good luck with it. It would be a fun ride.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
i almost say it be easier to swap the engine into a audi quattro as it is far better awd system

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
lol, if i wanted an audi, i would have bought one. would have been half the price of my jetta too...

i love my jetta, and in the near future, would like it to be AWD. might take a 2mpg hit due to more rotating mass, but the 6-speed should make up for it.

_dumb0_

TDI
VW Jetta mk5 BXE
I use parts from scrapyard, here in europe is a lot of wrecked cars in scrapyards, my parts are from VW Golf MK5 4motion (complete rear axle, 4motion fuel tank) and Skoda Octavia Scout ( transmission and cardan shaft), these cars have the same parts.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I use parts from scrapyard, here in europe is a lot of wrecked cars in scrapyards, my parts are from VW Golf MK5 4motion (complete rear axle, 4motion fuel tank) and Skoda Octavia Scout ( transmission and cardan shaft), these cars have the same parts.
So, other than essentially swapping out the trans, read axle, fuel cell and hooking up the drive shaft, what is needed? Are there any electrical problems you have had? Does your ESP still work?

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
I have done a bit of research on this topic since it would be cool...B)

You will need and you can source the following from the us:
mkv or IV Rear diff carrier/sub frame with molded brake lines.
Rear axles and 4motion hubs, the rest of the rear suspension is the same so use your own.
4 motion anti-lock brake module...pretty sure you can source this from a variety of different audi models
I am not sure if you have to do anything special with esp but I have read that it is easier to start with a car that has it.
Drive shaft mounting tabs...they weld in. The rest is a strait bolt in, no cutting on the jetta.

Euro specific parts:
TDI Rear diff with haldex gen 2 or 4 (look into it)
Drive shaft...if you plan to run manual. Dsg driveshaft can be sourced in the U.S.
4motion tdi 6 speed transmission
4motion angle gear (1:1 ratio fyi, same for gasser and tdi iirc) (some might call it a transfer case)
If you have or want to run dsg, I am pretty sure you can use your existing 2wd transmission with the addition of the 4motion front differential (might as well run a limited slip...;)) and the machining/tapping of three bolt holes on the existing transmission housing to accept the 4motion angle gear unit.
4motion tdi fuel tank...you might be able to work with a gasser tank from the states.

I am sure there are some codes to change concerning abs with the cars computer but the haldex is independent. You do have the run the harness which pulls a few signals from various sensors but that is it.

Still researching...even though I may never get around to doing this. lol :(

They make it look hard...but it is a beetle!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5829702-Official-VWvortex-Super-Beetle-Project-Build-Thread

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I saw here in Anchorage a few weeks back a Passat Wagon with Synchro and TDI logos on it. I could tell it was a custom job, but didn't get a chance to talk with the guy if he bought it that way or customized it himself. It looked like about a '98 Passat wagon. I doubt he could have imported it from Canada, though that would be easy. NHSTA and EPA frown on all introductions of cars from Canada. As for converting my Jetta Sportwagen, I could probably make best sense by finding a scrap R32, couldn't I?

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
The rear end parts (rear subframe, axles, hubs) off of an r32 will do the trick but that is about all you can use, well that and maybe the haldex harness and abs parts. From there you still have to source a tdi specific rear diff/haldex, transmission, drive shaft, ect. The guys over on vwvortex pointed out that the r32 transmission has a canted bell housing design in order to fit the 3.2 v6 under the hood (iirc lol). Because of this you cannot use the r32 transmission since it angles the engine too far forward.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Dang, I hadn't recalled the spacing being that different. Thanks. :D
The rear end parts (rear subframe, axles, hubs) off of an r32 will do the trick but that is about all you can use, well that and maybe the haldex harness and abs parts. From there you still have to source a tdi specific rear diff/haldex, transmission, drive shaft, ect. The guys over on vwvortex pointed out that the r32 transmission has a canted bell housing design in order to fit the 3.2 v6 under the hood (iirc lol). Because of this you cannot use the r32 transmission since it angles the engine too far forward.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I saw here in Anchorage a few weeks back a Passat Wagon with Synchro and TDI logos on it. I could tell it was a custom job, but didn't get a chance to talk with the guy if he bought it that way or customized it himself. It looked like about a '98 Passat wagon. I doubt he could have imported it from Canada, though that would be easy. NHSTA and EPA frown on all introductions of cars from Canada. As for converting my Jetta Sportwagen, I could probably make best sense by finding a scrap R32, couldn't I?
Why from Canada? Aside from the old AAZ engine, we get the exact same powertrain offerings as you guys

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
There was a guy in London, Ontario (halfway between Toronto and Detroit) selling a swap a while ago. He claimed that the whole thing was bolt on

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
It is for the jetta. No cutting at all but you do have to install the drive shaft tunnel mount. Again, as far as I can tell all you need from Europe is the TDI trans, haldex rear diff, and diesel tank. Everything else can be sourced on this side. The 07-up Audi a3/s3 quatros have the same rear subframe/awd set-up. Those are more common than the r32's I would guess so cheaper parts maybe. Also there is a stamped steel and an aluminum version of the rear subframe. Good way to save some weight.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Basically, because we border Canada and do not border any of the other US states. :D
Why from Canada? Aside from the old AAZ engine, we get the exact same powertrain offerings as you guys

BigBadSubaru

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6MT
TDI 4Motion Passat

They sold that body style of Passat in Canada with all wheel drive, Green Car Co in Bellingham sells them with the conversion done (it was only available on the gas model but the parts work on the TDI)

http://www.nicecarstdi.com/upgrademain

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
They sold that body style of Passat in Canada with all wheel drive, Green Car Co in Bellingham sells them with the conversion done (it was only available on the gas model but the parts work on the TDI)

http://www.nicecarstdi.com/upgrademain
nope, they never sold any AWD diesel Jetta, Golf, or Passat's up here. For sure. I am 100% sure.

Maybe converted cars - anything is possible with $$

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
You'd want possibly the diesel fuel pump and transfer pump. rear haldex and front angle drive are 1:1 ratio I believe, so they can be taken off any gasser, but the transmission itself needs to be diesel.

I've been wondering if it's possible to open up a 02Q and swap the final drive with a wavetrac limited slip for a 4motion to add that straight through shaft for the angle drive.

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
anyone know what is needed. i have read the passat b6 rest end will work. also the s3 2007 and up. as well as mk5 golf. some one knows for sure. can you confirm what i need? thanks