www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:01   #1
EcoJettaCT

Question New Battery for my 2010 Sportwagon

My car is occasionally having trouble starting. The battery was tested at the local VW service center and I was told it is failing.

I intend to turn this car in at the end of the buyback period (Sept. 2018, right?). So I won't have it more than 2 years.

What battery would you all recommend I get? I want to limit my expenses on the car, but I do need it to be reliable until I turn it in.

VW Dealer/Service Center cost to replace it $200.
Auto Zone has an H6-DLG battery with 72 reserve minutes for $150
Walmart has an H6-3 battery, unknown the reserve minutes for $107.83

Are there other specifications I should be considering beyond H6 size and 72 ah?

Thanks!
EcoJettaCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 14:28   #2
jesssssser

I got the dealer battery and installed it myself. It wasn't difficult, if you've got a set of sockets and you're somewhat handy.

I think it was 120 or so
jesssssser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 19:19   #3
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoJettaCT View Post
My car is occasionally having trouble starting.
VW Dealer/Service Center cost to replace it $200.
Auto Zone has an H6-DLG battery with 72 reserve minutes for $150
Walmart has an H6-3 battery, unknown the reserve minutes for $107.83

Are there other specifications I should be considering beyond H6 size and 72 ah?

Thanks!
Yes your battery is bad. H6 top post is correct.

WALMART YES but get the EverStart Maxx $117 (Walmart #: 001072418), 730 AMP Battery with 5 Yr warranty.

The cheaper $107 one is 2 year warranty and 615 AMP... Get the more expensive one, $10 is worth it, even if you are returning car. The more expensive battery has more reserve power, will start car better, and it may save you some day if say you leave lights on.

ALL automotive batteries are made in the same few factories. In fact the battery Wal-Mart has is likely made in the same factory as the Autozone battery. Same battery except for label.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; February 16th, 2017 at 19:25.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 19:55   #4
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default buy a tool or throw money at it

This brings up the old question of whether a strategic investment in a long term valuable tool, or a disposable part replacement makes more sense.

As a rule, I have ALWAYS opted for the tool. In the end, I have the tool and most often, solved the problem.

Look up a floating charger ($40). All you are required is that the car start up upon delivery to the dealership. I had my charger on the car 2 days before the turn in day. Guess what...... it started.

I did not buy a battery to give to VW (maybe headed for the crusher, new battery and my money!!). AND, I have the charger (I did already, LONG ago so I own the charger(s). But you see what I am saying.

Your choice. Buy a new battery, or buy a tool. I know exactly what I would do...

I have battery acid and topped of the battery in a '03 Jetta wagon that was "dead". No really. DEAD. A week on the floating charger, and the battery is popping amperage. No reason to buy a battery. Yay. Workin' live with amperage!!

And don't forget. All you need is for the engine to start. Follow the first link, below. See the orange extension cord?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; February 16th, 2017 at 20:02.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:39   #5
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post
All you need is for the engine to start.
...every day, for the next year and a half. That's a long time to keep going with a dead battery, even if you do plug it into a charger every night.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:50   #6
EcoJettaCT

Smile Thanks for your responses!

Thank you for the follow up information. It's great to get some different points of view.

Our car is running just fine right now and we haven't needed a jump. What I realized was that my husband was sitting in the car (while it was off) listening to the radio while waiting to pick up the kids. He won't be doing that any more.

I think we can eek out more life out of this battery and when it seems necessary we will decide on buying a replacement or using the floating charger.

TDIClub people are the best!
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:08   #7
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG mixed @75MPH

buy one of these portable jump starters. you can take it with you when you dump the wagon ;(

https://www.amazon.com/Beatit-14000m.../dp/B01DGJHV8K

Beatit 600peak cranking amps is good for our diesels, use it for charging your phones in your bag too its so small. Actually tried a couple other popular models, but they were not up to snuff on the diesel starter (Anker Ultra Compact, Winplus from Costco).

I was having issues with the battery for months, and got one of these. worked a couple times but a dead battery doesn't like being jumped. Didn't like being trickle charged at home either.

So we bought the Superstart Extreme Group 48 from O'reilly's. $150 and got them to reduce it to $130 (shop price) But you won't want one of those if you are going to turn it in.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 13:34   #8
EcoJettaCT

Thank you, BeatIt is a neat product!
Great to have options!