Vibration at 1800 rpm

Deezel77

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
Hey,

Today I replaced my passenger side CV shaft. Used 8mm triple square for the axle nuts, could not get a torque wrench in there... I know they are supposed to be torqued to 50ft. I tightened them by hand with what seemed to be sufficient torque.. I don't have a way of getting a torque wrench in there with the car just on axle stands.

Torqued lug nuts, and axle nut, the axle nut is missing it's washer though, but I don't think that could really lead to such a problem that I am experiencing, I do though have to buy a washer tomorrow and put it on)

Now when I'm driving.. Car is much smoother, but in 3rd and 4th gear there is a noise, like a humming almost like something is rubbing. I've looked, I cannot see anything rubbing under the car, or against the shaft. Shaft still seems tightly in place. I reqtorqued the lug nuts. But I still can't get rid of that humming/vibration at 1800 rpm.

Deezel77

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
Had anything apart today, still cannot figure out the vibration. Anyone have any ideas? I've lifted the car, and put it in gear without tires. I cannot feel the vibration. It seems to happen when I load is on the car. I'm stuck. I so quickly want to blame the driveshaft, but it doesn't make sense because this is a vibration/hum that is related to RPM and not speed. Thing is though, that the humming and vibration doesn't happen when the car is in neutral.

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
actually, i might be having the same problem. is it when you're reving at about 2000 rpms? except i'm experiencing it in any gear. Does it sound kinda like a bad hole coming from the downpipe?

DirtyDzl

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking to buy.
daniel_mad said:
actually, i might be having the same problem. is it when you're reving at about 2000 rpms? except i'm experiencing it in any gear. Does it sound kinda like a bad hole coming from the downpipe?
I have the 2,000rpm vibration *shrug*

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
since this is a 'noise' post, i've got what sounds like blowing across a glass bottle. right side only i think.

What's strange is, it's not consistent, but i do only hear it on the highway. I do think it's either the LCA bushing, or a front rooter

Deezel77

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI
Well I think I have found the problem, and it has to do with my right side. I retightened the axle nut and the noise went away for a bit, then it came back... Is there supposed to be a washer underneath that nut? Like a lock washer of some sorts. I counted, I have about 3 threads on the left hand side, and 6 threads on the passengers.

My torque wrench crapped out on my, so I took a 10 foot bar and applied about 20 foot pounds roughly, so I should have about 190 ft on that nut which from when I did the wheel bearing I think that is right.

I also keep going through brakes like a bastard... Could that also be my LCA bushings?

So far a running total of the new things I need are...

Stabilizer Links
Rear axle bushings (which I need help, if anyone is willing to help me do them for a case of beer more then willing to accept lol)
LCA Bushings I think
Front and Rear brakes now.. I think rear because if they are toast it means that I am going to go through fronts quicker
Skid Pan..

Ya Merry Christmas to me lol

Last edited:

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Well I think I have found the problem, and it has to do with my right side. I retightened the axle nut and the noise went away for a bit, then it came back... Is there supposed to be a washer underneath that nut? Like a lock washer of some sorts. I counted, I have about 3 threads on the left hand side, and 6 threads on the passengers.

My torque wrench crapped out on my, so I took a 10 foot bar and applied about 20 foot pounds roughly, so I should have about 190 ft on that nut which from when I did the wheel bearing I think that is right.

I also keep going through brakes like a bastard... Could that also be my LCA bushings?

So far a running total of the new things I need are...

Stabilizer Links
Rear axle bushings (which I need help, if anyone is willing to help me do them for a case of beer more then willing to accept lol)
LCA Bushings I think
Front and Rear brakes now.. I think rear because if they are toast it means that I am going to go through fronts quicker
Skid Pan..

Ya Merry Christmas to me lol
Deezel77 , were you able to get this problem corrected????

Just started feeling this same vibration at about 1800 rpm. Just had a right side axle swapped and noticed it as I drove it off the shop. Your input will be appreciated. Thank you!

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
I know this thread is old but I am having the same issue. I believe it is do to a cheap aftermarket cv axle - in my case TrakMotive. My question though: Is that vibration damaging?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
All vibrations are damaging. If it's slight then you'll be ok but if it's severe then it can wear out suspension parts and a lot of other things too.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Its by no means severe. Its hard to describe - its not like steering wheel is shaking or anything but its like a resonance that is present and then goes away. It must have something to do with the aftermarket axle being solid rather than hollow.