totaled jetta wagon

jetta wag

TDI
2014 JettaWagon
'14 jetta wagon was totaled and we have not signed over to insurance company yet. We should be certain to get restitution amount even if we let insurance company keep vehicle. Question is can we get vehicle return amount? Claims person on phone said it would be 50/50 chance of getting anything even if we have the car all fixed up because of the salvage value title that the insurance company will create. Seems like we hear it both ways... Some people turn in cars hardly able to drive and get full payment where others have better cars and get nothing. Any way to be sure before spending money to make the car road worthy and then take the chance?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
'14 jetta wagon was totaled and we have not signed over to insurance company yet. We should be certain to get restitution amount even if we let insurance company keep vehicle. Question is can we get vehicle return amount? Claims person on phone said it would be 50/50 chance of getting anything even if we have the car all fixed up because of the salvage value title that the insurance company will create. Seems like we hear it both ways... Some people turn in cars hardly able to drive and get full payment where others have better cars and get nothing. Any way to be sure before spending money to make the car road worthy and then take the chance?
Even with the body damage, can the car be driven under its own power, even if only for 100 ft? Is it a frontal collision that interferes with the engine?

jetta wag

TDI
2014 JettaWagon
It is front collision and engine was cracked and has not been driven, but it starts right up and i'm pretty sure it will move 100 ft.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
It is front collision and engine was cracked and has not been driven, but it starts right up and i'm pretty sure it will move 100 ft.
What do you mean that the "engine was cracked"? What exactly was cracked?

If the car could be driven under its own power into the dealer lot for buyback, you should be ok. There is no condition that the car not have any body damage or even that it would pass state inspection. AFAIK, the only condition is that it can be driven "under its own power" into the dealer's lot. You could have a tow truck take the car right to the beginning of the dealer's driveway, and drive it in under its own power.

In addition, you should tell your ins co to just reimburse you for the damage less the residual amount (which I think is ~15%). Don't give them the car, and don't give them your title certificate. You may make out like a bandit on this, getting the full buyback + the compensation for the damage.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
uh... what?

Maybe the radiator is broken and leaking? You might have issues if it is leaking coolant everywhere, but worth a try anyway. You could always bypass the radiator just so it does not leak all over the parking lot, or run it dry and turn it in on a cold day :rolleyes:

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
I hate to rain on the parade, but as an owner in exactly that situation (same year JSW even) who has been in limbo for nearly a year, I'd take the insurance payout and the restitution and run with it. There is no indication that VW is ever going to do the right thing with damaged vehicles.

You might find out if, in your state, you can keep the vehicle WITH THE ORIGINAL TITLE even though it is totalled, or whether you have to surrender the title and get a 'salvage certificate' to keep possession. IF you can keep the original title, you might get a buyback. Without it, probably not. (I don't care anymore what the class action settlement says. I'm guessing the language is getting ready to change any day now) The Judge CAN change the language if he feels it justified.