Front control arms worn out

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

I have HD Bilstein shocks and would like recommendations for good control arms replacement? I would like to get poly bushings with better control arms. I am fairly new with TDI world. Everyday is a learning experience for me.

Now she have nearly 254k miles.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
TDI Club member MIVWTDI had some like the ECS ones for sale. Not sure if they sold or not. Either way, friendly fellow who sold me a few parts. I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you what he had and his experience.

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
The control arms themselves shouldn't ever wear out unless they rust to pieces. The bushings, however, do wear out and the front bushings have a tendency to squeak over bumps when cold.

Those aluminum control arms look to be early Passat B6 arms. You should be able to buy them used for ~$100 a pair and then put in whatever bushings you want. The rear mounts on the Passat are slightly different, so you need to stick with Golf/Jetta rear mounts.

I put the aluminum arms on my car with new OEM front bushings. I also used the Passat aluminum bearing housings. They're about 3lb lighter than the G/J ones. Overall I'm happy with the results.

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
The control arms themselves shouldn't ever wear out unless they rust to pieces. The bushings, however, do wear out and the front bushings have a tendency to squeak over bumps when cold.

Those aluminum control arms look to be early Passat B6 arms. You should be able to buy them used for ~$100 a pair and then put in whatever bushings you want. The rear mounts on the Passat are slightly different, so you need to stick with Golf/Jetta rear mounts.

I put the aluminum arms on my car with new OEM front bushings. I also used the Passat aluminum bearing housings. They're about 3lb lighter than the G/J ones. Overall I'm happy with the results.
Do you happen to have a year range for the early B6's that had these arms?
I'd ask for a part number, but i'm sure that's asking way too much :D

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
There exist bushing inserts from Audi as a direct replacement for worn out stock ones.
The hexagon is much tighter and the busing is a little bit stiffer.
They have longer lifespan an can be fitted as a remedy for worn out control arms.

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
There exist bushing inserts from Audi as a direct replacement for worn out stock ones.
The hexagon is much tighter and the busing is a little bit stiffer.
They have longer lifespan an can be fitted as a remedy for worn out control arms.
What audi model would they be from?

Thanks for the info!

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi TT 2009 and up.
Brackets part numbers are: left - 1K0199231N, right - 1K0199232N
But you really need inserts only (I assume you have an access to press to do the work).
Lemforder inserts: 27134 01

Let me know if you have any further questions, including the process of installation of these.

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TT 2009 and up.
But you really need inserts only (I assume you have an access to press to do the work).

Let me know if you have any further questions, including the process of installation of these.
Thanks Henrick, yes please to the process of installation.

I do have access to a press, anything special to it?

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I used the Whiteline bushings and they are still going strong with no play or visible wear. I had them in my 2010 JSW before I returned it to VW and then swapped them into my 2006. Not too expensive and work well.

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
Do you happen to have a year range for the early B6's that had these arms?
I'd ask for a part number, but i'm sure that's asking way too much :D
2006 to 2010 arms should work. There is a very early style and a later style. The later ones are beefier in the area of the front bushing. Tomorrow I'll update this post with part numbers.

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 to 2010 arms should work. There is a very early style and a later style. The later ones are beefier in the area of the front bushing. Tomorrow I'll update this post with part numbers.
Thank you sir I think it may be 3C0 407 153 B?

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TT 2009 and up.

Ordered some Lemford inserts off of E-Bay, couldn't find any in the US so these are coming from Europe :D

I see what you mean about the differences in the bushings, these are solid and the VW ones have pockets.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
the solid ones only feel good for so long. There's the S3 style bushings that have the 2 holes but not the slits. So you can order Meyle HD rear control arm brackets.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Henrick, yes please to the process of installation.
I do have access to a press, anything special to it?
Nothing very difficult with the assembly.

Simply take your old ones and look at them how they look. Pay attention to the hexagon.

Take one old brakcet, use press the press the old rubber out.
Use some oil to lube the internals of the bracket as well as as the new bushing insert.
Those Audi bushings do NOT have the aligning tab (unlike the original ones - take a peek at the original one you still haven't dismantled), it makes the installation a little bit more complex.
The "flat" face of the new bushing should be facing towrds the rear of the car. Don't mix the sides, this is very important!! The face should be in pressed down to a level until it's completely flat with the bracket.
Also, pay a special attention so that one part of the hex is in one line with the thinner side of the bracket. It should not be twisted to either side at any angle.

Hope this pic helps at least a bit:
[/URL][/IMG]

If you face any problems while installing, let me know and I'll try to assist.

Once pressed in both bushings into original brackets, I'd suggest removing the LCAs from the car and installing the busings on the LCAs on a bench, probably using the presss too (don't forget to lube). As the fit is tighter than the stock ones, having LCAs on bench helps a lot!

Also, bear in mind that wheel alignment will be required after this suspension work.

Last edited:

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
Thank you sir I think it may be 3C0 407 153 B?
I think that is the part number for the early style. The later version I have is 3C0-407-153-D and came off of a 2007 car. That is the number stamped on it, at least. As a replacement part from VW, the part number is 3C0-407-151-E, which has been replaced by 3C0-407-151-G. These include the rear mount/bushing, which can't be used on our cars.

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing very difficult with the assembly.

Simply take your old ones and look at them how they look. Pay attention to the hexagon.

Take one old brakcet, use press the press the old rubber out.
Use some oil to lube the internals of the bracket as well as as the new bushing insert.
Those Audi bushings do NOT have the aligning tab (unlike the original ones - take a peek at the original one you still haven't dismantled), it makes the installation a little bit more complex.
The "flat" face of the new bushing should be facing towrds the rear of the car. Don't mix the sides, this is very important!! The face should be in pressed down to a level until it's completely flat with the bracket.
Also, pay a special attention so that one part of the hex is in one line with the thinner side of the bracket. It should not be twisted to either side at any angle.

Hope this pic helps at least a bit:
[/URL][/IMG]

If you face any problems while installing, let me know and I'll try to assist.

Once pressed in both bushings into original brackets, I'd suggest removing the LCAs from the car and installing the busings on the LCAs on a bench, probably using the presss too (don't forget to lube). As the fit is tighter than the stock ones, having LCAs on bench helps a lot!

Also, bear in mind that wheel alignment will be required after this suspension work.
Thank you, that is very helpful!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh wow! Didnt expect any more replies on this. Sorry I wasn't around lately cuz my pc is down. Im using my iphone to check on this thread. Thank you so much for the help! I still am suffering with bad control arms, noisy.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
have you considered the possibility that other components are responsible for the noise?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
The vw shop said front control arms worn out. It make snoise when i back out. Thats only thing. It vibrates during highway driving. Wheels are balanced and it didnt help.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hm.. With the sympthoms you've described, to me it looks like worn out or faulty inner CV joints.

It vibrates during highway driving, right? Does it continue to vibrate once you completely take the foot off the accelerator?

Usually worn out control arms or bushings do not cause sensible vibrations (except when taking off)

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Hm.. With the sympthoms you've described, to me it looks like worn out or faulty inner CV joints.

It vibrates during highway driving, right? Does it continue to vibrate once you completely take the foot off the accelerator?

Usually worn out control arms or bushings do not cause sensible vibrations (except when taking off)

I've got a noise, that happens while the car is in gear, with my foot on the gas. If i'm decelerating or accelerating the noise stops. It isn't terrible, but I believe CV joint replacement is in my future.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I guess the vw shop isnt up to the task. I will check with my trusty local shop to check the noise out.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
My car dont make noise while accelerating or decelerating, nothing. Only when I back out, it clunks. And vibrating slightly like if my tires is out of balance but it isnt.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, if you are unable to diagnose on your own, then find some mechanic which will do the diagnosis. It would be really nice if he could take some responsibility for his words

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mean, if anyone has got some issues and cannot nail it down on his/her own, then a visit to mechanic should be booked.
It's rreally nice when mechanic is able to properly diagnose the issue and/or failed parts rather than starting the game "let's throw some money and replace this, if this doesn't help then we'll replace that".
I'm sure you get the idea what I am talking about