Made the Move to Tesla

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I bought my used 09 TDI a month before Sandy hit NJ and NY

The gas stations all had plenty of diesel gas but the regular gas lines were ridiculous. That was the ironic thing.

How's the Volt doing ? Cool car. I'm not a big fan of Prius' style. Nissan Leaf looks good too.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Gas or diesel, you had to wait in the same line. It was pretty bad. I had a Prius Plug-in at the time and I had a power inverter hooked up to it to keep the fridge and freezer going until the power came back on.
The Volt is doing great, no range anxiety here. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd be interested in a Model 3, but they have to build and launch it first. Not holding my breath. Tesla hasn't been good about meeting promised launch dates.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Anyone considering a Tesla Model 3?
I'm interested for sure, probably not for a few years though.
Even without knowing what it is I would trade my Nissan Leaf in towards one in a heartbeat.

That said, I Love the Leaf a lot, but it requires me to keep the TDI where as the Model 3 may or may not be able to replace both.

My lifetime (I'm only 2,600 miles in) in the leaf is 4.7 miles / KWh or 158 MPGe. It has probably dropped my TDI mpg because now the TDI lives it's life with a trailer behind it. I haven't re-filled the TDI since I got the Leaf and I have yet to drive the TDI for range. I have only come close to being stuck 1 time in the Leaf, I had a long day and the minute I got home I had to turn around and drive 18 miles with "15" remaining. I took the back roads, kept speed around 50-55 mph and made it back with 1 mile to spare. I did have to charge for an hour off of a welder out let to get home. It was exciting for sure.

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
my son and I are spliting the reservation fee for a model 3. Rumor is to start taking reservations end of this month after the scheduled unveiling. Helping my son with reservation fee (the other models are $5000) so he can afford the solar panels he is planning for his house now. expected wait is up to 2 years for delivery. Our agreement is He gets first shot with reservation and if something comes up for him not to be able to take delivery then I get it. He says no way he's not taking delivery but then I still get up to 2 years bragging I have a Tesla on order.

DasVDub

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I want to get rid of my JSW TDI emissions cheater, and get something electric. I already have solar. But what is the best thing to do with the TDI? Sell it to get rid of the damn cheating thing? Keep it parked and hope I will get a good settlement from VW? Give it to the 15 year old and kind of hope it gets crashed (without hurting the 15 year old of course). And then - replace it with what? I like the volt. The tesla 3 is still vapor ware. Too many decisions.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yes, but it all depends on what the end-of-month reveal looks like. Price point, range, appearance, interior space, all will have an impact on our decision.

Also in contention is the Chevy Bolt, which we say at this year's Detroit Auto Show. The range and price both look good, interior space is good for an in-town runabout, and styling isn't offensive.

It'll be very interesting to compare these two vehicles head-to-head.

AJonathan

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI sedan. Previously: 2012 Jetta TDI sedan, 2004 Passat GLS TDI Wagon, 2001 Jetta TDI
I put down the deposit on 3/31 before the reveal. I was out of the Tesla store by 10:30 so I'm pretty early in the queue, but I'm not a current owner. I'm thinking 2018 before delivery. And not sure that the TDI won't be recalled before I could take delivery of the M3, so what to get in between is the question...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Jason and I put a deposit down prior to the reveal, as well. We went in around 6:30pm, so we're probably around number 75,000 or so on the list. Looking forward to part two of the reveal whenever Tesla gets around to doing that. :cool:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Jason and I put a deposit down prior to the reveal, as well. We went in around 6:30pm, so we're probably around number 75,000 or so on the list. Looking forward to part two of the reveal whenever Tesla gets around to doing that. :cool:
I reserved online just before the reveal but ended up getting a 2014 CPO Model S 85 in July. My daughter is taking my Model 3 reservation and my name will be on the title as joint owner.

Tesla is now sending invites to reservation holders nationwide if you are a current Tesla owner with delivery in 4 weeks after you configure. Non Tesla owner invites will follow soon as production ramps continue.

https://www.facebook.com/tsla3/

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Tesla is now sending invites to reservation holders nationwide if you are a current Tesla owner with delivery in 4 weeks after you configure.
Good luck with that. They've assembled about 2,500 Model 3s, so far, facing many production issues including battery availability, interior assembly automation issues, and some reports of fit and finish of early models is less than positive. It's difficult to tell when production will ramp up, as Tesla has a history of making projections it cannot meet.

I drove a Model S for the first time on New Years at the Ho5G GTG (Thanks, Lawson), and although I was prepared to be critical, I was impressed. It's a bigger, flashier car than I prefer, but the driving experience was impressive.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Good luck with that. They've assembled about 2,500 Model 3s, so far, facing many production issues including battery availability, interior assembly automation issues, and some reports of fit and finish of early models is less than positive. It's difficult to tell when production will ramp up, as Tesla has a history of making projections it cannot meet.

I drove a Model S for the first time on New Years at the Ho5G GTG (Thanks, Lawson), and although I was prepared to be critical, I was impressed. It's a bigger, flashier car than I prefer, but the driving experience was impressive.
That bone crushing torque from the Model S is addicting for sure.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The model 3 production issues seem to be falling away. They are producing 1000+ model 3 units a week now, and should be at ~5k a week within 6 months. I read a recent review from a BMW aficionado who was very impressed- he compared it favorably to his E46 M3. Should be worth the wait.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/03/tesla-q4-2017-production-and-delivery-numbers.html

Since they've persistently announced dates for the production ramp-up and then pushed them back (they were originally supposed to be making 5K/week now), it seems likely the 5K/week by the end of Q2 is vapor, too.

I find the favorable coparison to an e46 BMW somewhat amusing. I would hope the Model three is as good as a car that went out of production 12 years ago.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
When will Tesla be reasonably available? 145 miles away to nearest dealership in state I live in. Over 500,000 population in the county I live in and still wondering if there will ever be a Tesla retailer.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
If I ever buy one, the repair facility is about a mile from me. :D

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
When will Tesla be reasonably available? 145 miles away to nearest dealership in state I live in. Over 500,000 population in the county I live in and still wondering if there will ever be a Tesla retailer.
I have a Tesla Service Center about 18 miles from me but the few times I needed services its been handled by Tesla Mobile Techs at my work place. When I took delivery of my Used Model S there was a trim piece that shook loose during my interstate stress test. Mobile Tech came to my work place and fixed that along with a couple of dash rattles. My only visit to the Service Center was to upgrade my 3G to LTE and during the process they cracked one of the trim pieces. When the replacements parts arrived a Mobile Tech came to my workplace and did the trim replacement along with a tire rotation right on the parking lot.

Possibly one of the reasons why this new Model 3 owner got rock star treatment when he volunteered to take his car on a 7000 mile roadtrip to let other reservation holders get a look. This video captures it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLNcPoOSXwk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/03/tesla-q4-2017-production-and-delivery-numbers.html
Since they've persistently announced dates for the production ramp-up and then pushed them back (they were originally supposed to be making 5K/week now), it seems likely the 5K/week by the end of Q2 is vapor, too.
I find the favorable coparison to an e46 BMW somewhat amusing. I would hope the Model three is as good as a car that went out of production 12 years ago.
Model 3 production is actually significantly ahead of the very first projections Musk made. I think there will be more model 3's on the road in N. America by mid 2019 than all models of tdi combined.

Obviously the Model 3 is in a completely different league technologically than a E46 M3, but from a driving dynamics standpoint, many consider the E46 M3 to be the best bimmer ever made.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Model 3 production is actually significantly ahead of the very first projections Musk made.
Huh?? What projections were those? They're months behind any projections that I'm aware of ... although, in fairness, that is to the surprise of nobody ... and they WILL get the production line going properly over the next few months. (one of my customers built a bit of the production-line equipment)

I think there will be more model 3's on the road in N. America by mid 2019 than all models of tdi combined.
They're at around 1000 per week now. They'll probably get to 5000 per week mid-2018. If it's an even ramp-up that's about 78,000 cars in that first half, and 250,000 over the next year, so about a third of a million on the road by mid 2019. (It will be a major challenge for that production line in that plant to build more than 5000 per week.) That's not a whole lot different from the number of TDI cars that VW had to deal with in Dieselgate. Granted, this doesn't count the number of 2006 and prior cars that are still on the road, but those are getting to be old cars.

Obviously the Model 3 is in a completely different league technologically than a E46 M3, but from a driving dynamics standpoint, many consider the E46 M3 to be the best bimmer ever made.
Initial reports are that the Model 3 driving experience is quite good, although with some infuriating "features". Headlight switch is on the touch-screen. (Oops.) Hazard flasher switch is up by the rear view mirror. (Oops.) Autopilot display screen isn't in front of the driver like it is with the Model S, and the autopilot controls - through the touchscreen! - aren't intuitive. (The Model S autopilot controls are reasonably intuitive ... because they borrowed the cruise control stalk and switch from Mercedes-Benz!) The credit-card-like "key" that's supposed to unlock the car from outside when held up to the B-pillar, doesn't work if the B-pillar is coated in snow, ice, or salt.

I like the car but I don't like everything being done through that touch-screen.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They're at around 1000 per week now. They'll probably get to 5000 per week mid-2018.
How long have they been at 1,000 a week? Is this the first week? If not, how does that reconcile with them delivering only 1,550 Model 3s in 2017?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Huh?? What projections were those? They're months behind any projections that I'm aware of ... although, in fairness, that is to the surprise of nobody ... and they WILL get the production line going properly over the next few months. (one of my customers built a bit of the production-line equipment)
They're at around 1000 per week now. They'll probably get to 5000 per week mid-2018. If it's an even ramp-up that's about 78,000 cars in that first half, and 250,000 over the next year, so about a third of a million on the road by mid 2019. (It will be a major challenge for that production line in that plant to build more than 5000 per week.) That's not a whole lot different from the number of TDI cars that VW had to deal with in Dieselgate. Granted, this doesn't count the number of 2006 and prior cars that are still on the road, but those are getting to be old cars.
Initial reports are that the Model 3 driving experience is quite good, although with some infuriating "features". Headlight switch is on the touch-screen. (Oops.) Hazard flasher switch is up by the rear view mirror. (Oops.) Autopilot display screen isn't in front of the driver like it is with the Model S, and the autopilot controls - through the touchscreen! - aren't intuitive. (The Model S autopilot controls are reasonably intuitive ... because they borrowed the cruise control stalk and switch from Mercedes-Benz!) The credit-card-like "key" that's supposed to unlock the car from outside when held up to the B-pillar, doesn't work if the B-pillar is coated in snow, ice, or salt.
I like the car but I don't like everything being done through that touch-screen.

I'm with you on everything being done through a touch screen. I like switches and analog gauges. I also like manual transmissions. We'll adapt though, and Tesla will probably adapt as well if they get enough feedback.

Projections might have been the wrong word for Musk's initial assessment of when the model 3 roll out would begin. He has pretty consistently been over optimistic about timelines- we should all expect that by now. But in the end he has always delivered. I just read that the model 3 does the quarter mile in under 13.5 S- that's right up there in E46 M3 territory. The folks at BMW have got to be concerned.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
How long have they been at 1,000 a week? Is this the first week? If not, how does that reconcile with them delivering only 1,550 Model 3s in 2017?
OK, not quite there. They built almost 800 in one week towards the end of December. And they BUILT about 2500 of them ... not all of them have been delivered yet.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, the production from the last several days of 2017 extrapolates out to over 1000 cars per week. So the production for this first week of 2018 should be over 1000 cars. At some point, the Fremont plant will probably be churning out 10,000 cars per week.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They had better be careful about pent-up demand versus long-term sustained demand. Sedans in general have been in sales decline. 10,000 per week is well beyond Accord and Camry sales volume (it's almost as much as Accord and Camry put together). It's 60% of Ford F150 volume. In the face of other competitors that will show up in the market in that timeframe, I have doubts that this is a viable situation.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I assume Fremont will continue producing cars for markets around the world- not just N America. Toyota produced around 900k Camry's in 2017- or around 17k units per week. There absolutely will be a ceiling on demand for the various Tesla models produced at Fremont. Whether or not the Fremont plant alone can supply that demand, we'll have to wait and see.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I agree on the decline of sedans. Sad, but true. I read that Chevrolet is considering getting rid of the Volt because no one is buying. They may put the technology in the Equinox instead.

We also don't know how many who reserved Model 3s will actually take one home.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting article and associated statistics:
https://wolfstreet.com/2018/01/03/u...m-ford-toyota-fca-hyundai-kia-bmw-and-others/
Note on US sales: Almost 11 million light trucks versus 6.3 million cars sold in 2017.
I don't take that piece very seriously. After all, they are using manufactured(estimated) data for Tesla's sales in December. Tesla had the most sales growth over 2015 & 2016 of the manufacturers shown. Plus, any piece that mentions "big boys" four times and isn't about childhood development gets a chuckle from me. :D

We've seen the same old litany of Tesla hit pieces after the Q4 data came out, and it barely drove down the stock for half a day. I think this Forbes article summarizes it well:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2018/01/07/tesla-week-the-model-3-is-going-to-ruin-tesla-here-we-go-again/amp/

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I don't take that piece very seriously. After all, they are using manufactured(estimated) data for Tesla's sales in December. Tesla had the most sales growth over 2015 & 2016 of the manufacturers shown.
We've seen the same old litany of Tesla hit pieces after the Q4 data came out, and it barely drove down the stock for half a day. I think this Forbes article summarizes it well:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2018/01/07/tesla-week-the-model-3-is-going-to-ruin-tesla-here-we-go-again/amp/
I posted the article to summarize the auto/truck production for 2017. I really didn't intend to single out Tesla's production as it is low in number of units in relation to the entire industry. My bold text indicated that light truck production is the majority of vehicles sold in 2017 by a high margin. My post was intended to be informative.

Last edited: