Painting over Chrome Emblems (Badges) - Must the Chrome be Fully Removed?

CoolDad

TDI
99.5 Jetta
I want to paint the front and rear emblems on my MkIV Jetta. It's been done by many people here and I've read alot about it but my question remains; do I have to completely remove the chrome plating (which makes sense to me) or just scuff the surface? If total removal is recommended, how do you do it? (I've spent a bit of time with course steel wool and emery cloth and haven't gotten through the plating.)

CoolDad

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Thanks for the response, Zedbra. The picture you included however shows the red "DI" in the "TDI" with the chrome edge showing. I'm assuming that was purchased that way, not painted by you. It also looks like the background was painted around the trunk latch emblem but the "VW" was left chrome. So my question is, have you painted any of the chrome parts on your car by only scuffing the surface? If so, which emblems were done, what paint did you use and how has it held up?

Last edited:

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
the VW is white, i primed it, 3 coats of plastic paint (make sure its dry in between coats or it will wrinkle) and then two coats of clear were painted. the background plastic is blue. the tdi badge was purchased as it is, yes.

CoolDad

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Can I hear other opinions on the prefered prep method of our chrome plated plastic and paint preferences.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Scuff or sand... or strip. You need to prep the surface in order to have long lasting (semi professional) paint job. If you paint over the chrome it will flake. There is a thread floating around where someone stripped the plastic chrome off of there mark V Jetta grill and painted it.That would be a great help to you however I couldn't find it or I would have posted it.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
^ i just scuffed the 'chrome' with a scothbrite pad, making sure it was a dull grey.

i have seen other forums where people are using plasti-dip on trim, wheels etc. i can't find it here in Canada or i'd be hitting my winter rims