www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old December 9th, 2017, 12:01   #7771
Namakan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anplushf View Post
Thanks I will
Another option I remembered is Further Performance in Minneapolis.

Namakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:59   #7772
violentaesthete

Fuel Economy: more than needed but not quite enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anplushf View Post
Long time member/ lurker and TDI owner. Had a 2001 TDI beetle since new have 350k on it.
Transmission just went out again and canít justify the $3000 to rebuild it.
So in my infinite wisdom / midlife crisis I decided I was putting it in a car I liked.
After some research I settled on a 2001 A4 Avant.
Found one at auction for a steal with only 113,000 on it, V6 5spd.
I think I can handle most of it but was wondering if anyone in the area can do ECU flashes/tunes and is fimiliar with Audi VW interactions ?
I am located in Milltown, WI but Work in Arden Hills, MN.
Any tips or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Iím a truck mechanic by trade and have done all the maintenance on my car ( minus automatic transmission work)
Thanks
Tony
Are 4 and 6 cyl transmissions on the audis swappable? Or at least the bellhousings? You may want to wait it out unless you are sourcing a TDI specific trans (which would be ideal of course).

Otherwise there are several of us locally that can help out with wiring and the ECU flash etc. I think there is at least one euro ve pump tdi swapped audi in the metro too.
1987 Mercedes 300TD - sold
violentaesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 17:35   #7773
DWNUNDR

TDI(s): 03 Golf TDi
Fuel Economy: 43.41, 44.99, 48.64

anybody with a vagcom down south of cities near jordan?

ive been getting the overboost limp thing happening off and on for a while.... replaced the sensor thing everyone suggests... worked fine for 2 weeks, had replaced vacuum hoses when it first started....

well finally it wont boost at all... thinking I may need to take turbo of and clean but I dont know enough about these engines.. 03 golf tdi... its like driving a forklift now... yay... I have a lift and heated shop... and beer

nathanwalkington@gmail.com if you think you can help...
DWNUNDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 19:21   #7774
anplushf

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentaesthete View Post
Are 4 and 6 cyl transmissions on the audis swappable? Or at least the bellhousings? You may want to wait it out unless you are sourcing a TDI specific trans (which would be ideal of course).
Otherwise there are several of us locally that can help out with wiring and the ECU flash etc. I think there is at least one euro ve pump tdi swapped audi in the metro too.

The v6 should have me at about 3k rpm at 70 with my tire size. Not ideal but Iím only shooting for 30 ish mpg atm. A euro tdi transmission is like $2500 so I may do that when this one blows but I will have to see.

I just put nozzles on and plan to do the tune before I pull the motor so I can make sure it is all working first. Holidays are killing my cash flow

Thanks for all the replies.
anplushf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 19:25   #7775
anplushf

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentaesthete View Post
Oh and yes all the transmissions have the same bellhousing v6 or 4 cyl. At least the b5 mk4 thru b6 mk v ish era. You can bolt a 1.8 trans to a v6 or vice versa
anplushf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 06:21   #7776
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

FYI, St. Cloud is having a minor Diesel Price War. $2.40 for Diesel at the Holiday/Super America/Qwik Trip on Highway 10.
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 09:45   #7777
Kriesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamJ View Post
FYI, St. Cloud is having a minor Diesel Price War. $2.40 for Diesel at the Holiday/Super America/Qwik Trip on Highway 10.
Might be worth the drive from the cities hahaha
Old December 19th, 2017, 09:53   #7778
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

Just figured if people were heading North for the Holidays.... ; )
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 14:31   #7779
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (679k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamJ View Post
GasBuddy now shows prices of $2.34 and $2.35 for those stations. Still $2.69 and higher along I-94.
'03 Golf with 679k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Nokian snows, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 12:50   #7780
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Interesting anomaly. So I am driving my wife's A3 as it has a starter issue that requires you to smack the starter solenoid with a hammer from time to time and it is cold so I do not want to replace it now. She is driving my car and she told me it was doggy every now and then. So I drove it today and all was good nice boost and power, but then after a stop light no boost, so I cycled the key and the boost came back. No CEL, maybe N75?
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 19:05   #7781
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!
Default sounds like "Limp Mode"

Lots of threads on it, my '03 did the same thing until I installed ID Parts limp mode fix kit and cleaned out the intake manifold.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 14:22   #7782
Mastertrim

Curious Chris - Same here. Have all apart on bench. I needed to remove turbo and clean vanes as they where a bit sticky from rust and actuator was sticking as well AND I broke hose fitting on N75 while testing, yay! Continuing, 2 of the 3 bolts (if you can call them that as they are 3mm) that hold vane in manifold housing snapped off. I got one of the bolts out by drilling it out and snapped tap off in hole, smh... Finally got van plate out but, I'm not sure what route I want to take right now. Used turbo $300. Kerma $700 something.

Chris, do some more testing before buying parts.
Mastertrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 18:47   #7783
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Ah another project when spring comes: parking brake cables. Locked up on me today 5 miles from home. Drove home with the back tires sliding all the way. Got home cut the cables and all is good. The car is 16 years old and this will be the second time I replace the cables.
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 19:29   #7784
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (679k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
Ah another project when spring comes: parking brake cables. Locked up on me today 5 miles from home. Drove home with the back tires sliding all the way. Got home cut the cables and all is good. The car is 16 years old and this will be the second time I replace the cables.
Apparently the upgraded versions available from VW dealerships are better than the originals and better than the cheaper aftermarket ones. Might be the last ones you ever need.
'03 Golf with 679k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Nokian snows, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43   #7785
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Mine have been getting that way, have to crawl under and release them by hand every time you use them. The brake actuation's real weak too, so I assume I'll be going through the calipers if I ever put cables in it. Thinking on getting one of those passthrough hydraulic handbrakes, linkage it up to the normal handbrake lever.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote