VW Passat B5.5 1.9TDI 96kw poor fuel economy

etnies858

TDI
Passat B5.5 1.9TDI 96kw
Hello,

I have a problem with high fuel consumption.

Already tried:
MAF sensor cleaning with MAF cleaner
setting the syncro angle to 0
Injector cleaner

It is a 2005 Exclusive with 5-speed automatic
260 000km on the clock with full services history 1 owner before me.

City ~11.5L/100km
Highway 6.5L/100km with Cruise control set to 95km/h

When in P the fuel consumption is 0.8L/h
when in D its 1.6L/h

When I compare my highway fuel consumption with my friend's Skoda Superb 2.5TDI with 5-speed automatic, he get's 5.6 and even lower.

I dont think that 11.5L/100km is normal in city.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Is this a PD engine? Regardless, cleaning the MAF doesn't really work all that well. If you know some one with a VCDS you could actually see how the MAF was doing. If not then I would just replace it.

The Synco angle is what I think we call the torsion, unless your car has the angle still written on the sticker attached to the timing belt cover, don't assume that it should be 0. Some cars run better at other than 0 settings.

Check your rear brakes for dragging. That e-brake cable likes to stick and the slider pins like to freeze. That will kill your mileage in a hurry also.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
How heavy is your car compared to his? What kind of tires and rims are you running, are they inflated? Did you verify the fuel consumption between fill ups or only going by what the computer tells you?

Last edited:

etnies858

TDI
Passat B5.5 1.9TDI 96kw
I have VCDS cable, when I check the MAF in idle it's in normal range.

Oh, well we changed Syncro Angle. At first it fluctuated between -0.1 and -0.6 and at P the fuel consumption was 1.6L/h, after that we tried +1.9 then the fuel consumption was 0.6L/h, wasn't sure if it's safe when the syncro angle is that high so we adjusted it to 0.0 and then the in P consumption is 0.8-0.9L/h.

Tires have good pressure. The Skoda is about the same weight. Both car's roll on 16" wheels and almost the same tires.

Maybe the brakes are dragging... What's the best way to test? Jack up each tire and try to move it?

joegt3

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
After a short drive just touch the rear wheels comparing them to the front, if their dragging they will be hotter.

Joe

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Pull the rims and see if the caliper slider pins are moving freely. The fronts will always be warmer since most of the braking is done with the front brakes. Also, the axles are connected to the fronts so it will have more drag too. Only way to be sure is to remove the wheels and inspect the calipers. However, if the brake pads are dragging, you would have smelt it by now.

etnies858

TDI
Passat B5.5 1.9TDI 96kw
Got it sorted a while ago..

Changed the fuel filter and 5.4L/100km when no overtaking and using cruise control 97/kmh (GPS)

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
What should the Torsion Value be on our cars?
My mileage when my car was new I could get 39 MPG on hwy trips.
After the BSM fix it dropped to 37 MPG (at 99,000 miles) now my car has 206,000 miles and I'm getting 35 MPG on hwy trips. Can changing the torsion value in the computer help me? What should it be set at?

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
An Observation:

If the brakes were dragging enough to affect the fuel economy they would be smoking inside of a kilometer.

etnies858

TDI
Passat B5.5 1.9TDI 96kw
Still going strong with winter fuel economy.

Outside temp. -10C + winter studded tires 5.6L/100km its 42mpg