Letter from VW re no fix for manual transmission/to be dropped from ClassAction

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8smile66

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT, NightBlue/Beige
Hello-
I have been holding onto my 12 Passat TDI 6M because 1. I LOVE IT 2. It's paid for. 3. I was waiting to see what the "fix" would do to performance, because I really love the miles per gallon, especially when I fly by a Prius.:cool:

Well, today I got news that my wait is over, that there WILL NOT have a fix for manual transmissions, and that, before May 2018, I will either need to elect the buyback or be dropped from the class action settlement.

I'm confused. So is the car now OK (environmentally speaking) magically because they can't fix it?

It's a almost 6 yr old car. Should I take the money and run? I have less than 55k miles on it, I planned on driving it at least 300k (to beat my hubbies 05 silverado diesel mileage), but the buy back of like $21k is enticing, and we are thinking about replacing the car with an old pre-computerized car (my husband can do all the engine work).

But more importantly, if I do keep the car, will I be able to register and drive it whereever I choose to go? Someone told me that they heard I wouldn't be able to insure it or register it in some states. Will I be able to get necessary services and parts if it needs fixing?

I love my car. I love the mileage. I hate what has been done to the diesel engine's reputation. I want another diesel, but not with the current offerings.

Anyone else get this letter?? Any insight appreciated!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.