'14 JSW TDI MT6, jammed filler neck flap

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
On a recent trip, I needed fuel on the interstate, late at night, a couple hundred miles from home, and the low fuel light was on. Pull in, get ready to fuel. I could not get the small nozzle (NOT the truck nozzle) in the filler neck, as the flap in the filler neck would not allow the nozzle to "unlock it". I tried a dozen times, aligning the nozzle at different angles, holding my mouth right, then cursing. Eventually, the flap unlocked and all was well. That has never happened before or since. What happened? Is this common? Can I disable or remove that flap?

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
Cody: Seems we mis-communicated, as I was using the small pump nozzle, not the large "truck" one. The flap in the filler neck was simply jammed shut, and I could not figure out how to get it to open, for a dozen tries. Then it magically opened as usual.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The gizmo is designed to stay closed when a gas nozzle is inserted.

these are a bit smaller in diameter.

could be that the nozzle at that station was the wrong size for diesel.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Zombie thread... But here's a question for the group that I haven't seen answered yet:

As the 2014 does not have the same appearance of misfueling device as the 2013 and previous... Does anyone know if the thing is removable, and if so... How? I'm about done with nonsense like that, and I'd like it out.