Home!!!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Walked in the house about 30 minutes ago. No issues other than an hour flight delay in SLC

Great time. Nice to see old friends, and meet new friends. Thanks.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
1/4 the way there! Left about 6 this am and have made it as far as Ogden. Tomorrow's destination - Lexington NE.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Glad you made it guys--I got back last night about midnight...uhm...no sympathy I'm sure... :p

Tomorrow UPS gets "the call." :rolleyes:

Take care and safe travels to those still on the road!
-BB

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Just got home less than an hour ago. Flight was delayed at PDX resulting in a scramble to make my connection (which was delayed slightly). Flew Delta, had to change planes in Atlanta (!) in spite of the fact that MSP is one of their larger hubs.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Flights went smoothly...if only making our absence up to the cats would be as smooth...:rolleyes::eek:

Nice kittie kittie kitties...:D

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Spending the night in Sacramento. Half way home to San Diego.

Experimented with a 55 mph cruise speed. 478 miles and a 9.689 fill up to the very top of the fill tube. 48.8 mpg - Whoopee!

Next leg home will be at 2500 rpm or around 70 mph all the way home.

Had a really good time seeing faces to match with names.

My better half met up with another wife - Mary. They had a great time telling each other how little they knew about the TDI's.

Anita and I will both be looking forward to TDIFest 2011.

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 jetta wagon pd-tdi, '97 jetta tdi, '98 jett tdi, '01 jetta tdi, '00 jetta tdi auto, '02 jetta tdi, and '03 golf tdi-parts.
just now got to sac as well. was a fun drive.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Arrived at home yesterday at 10:30. took the scenic route through Klamath Falls. It's good to be able to do over 600 miles on a tank again! The New Beetle ran flawlessly. :D

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I ended driving straight through (17.5 hours) and made it home about 12:30 AM this morning. I think I really like the seats in my JSW, my a$$ did not hurt a bit (unlike my old air cooled VWs). I averaged almost 41mpg which I figure is pretty good considering it was mostly 75 and 80 mph speed limits and mostly through the mountains. It was a pleasure putting faces with so many names I have come to know.

Kudos to the organizing committee - excellent job!

Have Fun!

Don

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
I dragged my a$$ in the door about 10pm Monday evening. Took about 11 hours with a quick food stop, and an emergency icepack stop to bring the temp down in the gecko tank! :eek:

I was VERY grateful to have a second driver to chauffeur me home. I wouldn't have made it home with out her. We took alternating turns driving and sleeping. tho, she did most of the driving and i did most of the sleeping. :eek:

I'm glad people are posting when they're getting home. I know so many of you came to join us from SO far away. It's good to know that you're safe and sound. Thanks for coming out and joining us!

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
1/4 the way there! Left about 6 this am and have made it as far as Ogden. Tomorrow's destination - Lexington NE.
1/2 way home! Made it to Lexington NE (1/2 across Nebraska) just over an hour ago. Chicago (actually just south) here I come.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I really wish I could have spent more time at the fest.

Although I will probably be the last to get home, This coming sunday night.

LOL.

TheGrove

TDI
Home at last! Walked in about an hour ago (Edit: 5:00 pm eastern). Fest was great, road trip was great. 6,700 miles in 20 days!

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
03:00 eastern and I just walked in the door.
Total drive miles: 8,226.0
Flatted, had to stay longer in Denver than planned to buy a replacement tire,
That would have put my fueling schedule off by half a day, but an all night drive got me back on time.
Sounds like a rear wheel bearing is going, but it might just be the different tread pattern on that corner now,
Consumed (leaked out) a gallon of oil on the trip,
Hit a skunk and the car stinks now,
Got some more "spy photos" this time of a Hyundai or Kia sedan. I'll have to open the camera images to determine which.
But that's later, Good night...

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Well... I left the Hotel at about 10am Monday and went to do some shopping at the Lloyd Center (I could get used to Tax Free Oregon :D)

Left Oregon at about 2pm Monday and finally arrived at home at about 4pm Thursday :eek: Long drive....

Now, by the numbers:

Total round trip: 8712.4km (5413.63 miles)
Total Fuel used: 407.015L (107.522 Gallons)
Total cost of fuel: $332.31 USD ($338.96 CAN)

Fuel Economy: 4.67L/100km (50.35mpg) :D

Cheapest cost of Fuel: $2.98 per gallon
Most expensive cost of fuel: $3.179 per gallon
Average cost of fuel: $3.092 per gallon

Average moving speed 107.2Km/h (66.6mph)

Can't wait till next year :D

MrVermin

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Got some more "spy photos". This time of a Hyundai or Kia sedan. I'll have to open the camera images to determine which.
I suspect that this is the $60,000 Hyundai Equus.
And you thought that a VW Phaeton was a poor marketing decision......

Ful size images in 2048 x 1536 pixel size are in my album

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
We just got in 8 days later and 4000 km later on our return trip via Craters of the Moon national monument, The Grand Tetons NP, and Yellowstone NP. Broke 40 MPG for the first time!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
We got home late Saturday/early Sunday after enjoying the Oregon Coast from the California border north to Seaside. We found out the hard way how busy it can get in Seaside and Canon Beach on sunny Saturday, but it still worked out well. It was kind of cool briefly running into hotrodtdi from years back. It's always good to have some sort of TDI hat or clothing on.:)

Fuel economy for the 2,500km trip was 5.2l (~45 miles per US gallon). Glad to see you all there, now where is next years destination.:)

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
My wife Corrie and I along with two dogs are home safe and back at work. We arrived Sunday night. Just outside of Edmonton my stereo flashed a 'CDC Hardware Error' message and wouldn't eject Cds or play radio/mp3 for more than a couple of minutes before cutting out and flashing the message. So it is being replaced in Edmonton on warranty - but I have to drive 1400 km back in a month to get it. Oh well :).

It was funny, the dealership called me after having the car for two hours and said their tech's computer couldn't communicate with my car. Then she asked if I installed any aftermarket items and implied it was my fault. I of course said no. They said they would call me back. We waited all day just to have her phone and apologize. Apparently the tech had their computer on the wrong setting so my computer was fine, it was their issue. So we wasted a day in Edmonton and had to stay overnight just to have them confirm my radio was broken. Ridiculous. I swear I will drive to Fix Um Haus for my next service just to keep it out of the hands of a dealer.

Other than that Rich at Fix Um Haus did an amazing job on my service before we left Portland and also did a Frostheater install. It was not an easy fit and he gave me a great deal. My car is running perfectly and we had no problems mechanically.

Our thanks to Fred, Zippy, Icecap who gave me a great tour of my engine compartment, Pat, Brian and everyone else we met. Good times for sure! Total on my trip 8928 km, not including the Alaska Marine and BC ferries.