Blown motor, Injectors OK?

Bob702

TDI
99.5 Jetta GLS ALH 5 Speed
I blew my motor and am getting a used one from an automatic. I know that I can't use the injectors from the automatic so I need to switch mine over, and the pump too right? Do you think there will be damage to my injectors from when my motor blew? And will the damage be to the whole injectors or just the tips. If the whole injector is damaged can I use the autos injectors with new tips? What should I be looking for to see the damage? Or will it be pretty noticeable? I know there's a lot of questions in there, but as always thank you for all the help!

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
Injectors should be fine, nozzles may be damaged.

Sent from crazy town.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
What on motor blew? A bad injector can cause a piston to melt. If motor blew a rod or wiped bearings, injector should be ok.

OK, photo looks like a rod escaped, injector probably ok. Unless piston melt preceded rod escape.

I'd at a minimum get injectors pop tested and make sure spray pattern is ok. Don't worry too much about cracking pressure being perfectly in spec, none is after much run time. Spray pattern and tight shutoff is super important.

Bob702

TDI
So after doing more research I think I'm just going to put new nozzles on given the mileage on my car, 235k+, & since I need to pull the injectors for the swap I figure it's good timing. I was thinking of going with the PP520's from Drivbywire & have him do the rebuild on my injector bodies. I have a stock set up right now. I'm going to get a tune down the road & am considering a VNT 17. Do you think these would be a good choice for me?

Bob702

TDI
I was going to ask that. The auto is the 11mm right? I remember reading about the upgrade previously. Do I have to do a hammer mod afterwards?