(Former) 9W2 owners rejoice! Class Action Settlement

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
...If you lose the green light function, how do you know you're connected? ...
I forgot to mention...

After installation of the 9W7, recoding the module using Ross Tech's VCDS (or using VW's system) will allow activation of an audible chime which announces when your phone is linked or unlinked from the BT module. Yes, the chime only announces when a change of state occurs as it's not a continuous notification of the connection status.

Details of the procedure for activating the chime are available when you need it. For now, however, using Ross Tech's VCDS interface cable and software, the procedure is to simply select the -77 Telephone module, go to "Adaption", and select from a drop down menu the Bluetooth connect/disconnect signal option. Then just click from Off to ON, click "DO IT" and you are good to go...no bit coding needed.

Last edited:

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
My iPhone tells me when its linked so the green light not working would not be a big deal to me..

RaleighTDI

TDI
2014 TDI Passat SEL
So I spoke with Heather at VWoA this morning. I think everyone's fears are very justified. I explained the situation and received a very lawyered answer that they were in compliance with the lawsuit and they would not entertain any other settlements. She did provide the following specifics:
1) Though they don't have a part number - the settlement part provided hands-free functions but no phone book. I asked for what current models it was installed on so I could go look before I had it put on. She explained this part was manufactured specifically for this situation and they they were not given a part #.....
After I have demanded a part number she said the dealer has that but when I explained 3 times they DID NOT - she very very reluctantly agreed to see if she could get a number.
2) This is interesting - According to Heather, she spoke this morning with a 30 year expert at VWoA, you can NOT easily install a 9w7 into our cars. In fact it required significant rewiring etc.. that would be very expensive and complex. I explained that based on what I had read here the fix was very simple and aside from the light it worked great. She explained again that this guy knew what he was talking about and that anyone saying otherwise was not correct.
3) I specifically asked will VWoA provide me a 9w7 module and let me take care of the rest - and she said "We would not participate in that...." her way of saying no way.
4) I asked why VWoA was refunding people for solving the problem on their own by purchasing the 9w7's and she "could not discuss the settlement terms"
5) Lastly I also explained that I had tried to purchase a 9w7 18 months ago at VW and that they had convinced me not too saying it would not work and they could not take it back if I couldn't install it. If only I had done that I would have a refund check in my hands....
So - she is calling me back, in theory with a part # - but I am 99% sure they are not going to help. I still find #2 interesting and am not sure how I reply to it.
My view is this is now officially a joke. Other than a letter to the company and a call to the settlement attorney restating my disgust I am done. Frankly this is not worth much more time. It just shocks me that a company would be so uninterested in pleasing their customers. My resolution - this is the first and last VW this family will ever own. Our real votes are with our wallets at the end of the day.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Wow!! another VW screwing!! I bought a 9W7 from an outside vendor it took less than a minute to install and worked perfectly out of the box! and sold the 9W2 on Vw vortex! and then 1.5 years later got a check from the Lawyers you guys are definately getting screwed. The settlement Lawyers already got there money and are laughing all the way to the bank....and VW escapes as usual!!

Last edited:

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
My 2 cents:

For many of you reading this thread, I suggest that you simply buy the 9W7 BT module, install it yourself, and be happy. Forget about VW's settlement (which was just fine for me - I got my refund).

It was more than 18 months between the time I posted about my installation of the very first 9W7 in North America and the mailed notification and issuance of the claim/refund request documents by Rust Consulting. During that time I elaborated in dozens of posts on the 9W7's features and benefits, and how easy it was to install. Many complaints being made here are without merit considering the low cost (under $200 now) and simple, short installation time (no tools, and less than 5 minutes) for a 9W7 BT module.

Of course, some complaints here may be valid, but any which suggest that the 9W7 will cause you to lose a significant feature are just dead wrong. If you don't like what VW is asking their dealers to install, the resolution is to spend a couple hundred bucks and do the installation yourself. It's so easy that it's ridiculous...a caveman can do it. It'll take less time to install yourself than phoning the dealer for an appointment.

Or don't do anything and save the $200...because apparently many people reading this thread thought the 9W2 was just fine during the last couple years. If you're just now complaining about the lack of Bluetooth connectivity, or just now responding to everyone else's complaints, I suggest you've come late to the party and all the good looking people have already paired up.

OK, I'm stepping off the soap box.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Boo-ooo, :( so it sounds like the replacement "kit" unit provided by settlement, is not a 9W7. I read it does not have the full functions of 9W7, full hands free and phone book on MDI?

I have the settlement card for the "upgrade", but might not bother now. I can live with it. Just stay put with the 9W2.

Question:
I have an Android HTC Evo 4G phone.... will this phone work with this system (either the 9W7 or 000-51-473-J settlement kit unit PN XXX).

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
The law suit was not for 9w7 install.....if vw came up with a kit that gives the user the BT options the law suit was about then they are free to do it however they choose....The lawyers will not be able to do anything about it either.

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
And for those saying you'll never buy another VW over this, so be it. You'd rather have a Ford or Chevy, so be it, you tell me if any of them (especially at the 24-25k price point) have any of these features:

1. Fog lamps that come on, in the direction of your slow speed turn to provide additional lighting
2. Wipers that automatically slow down when traveling less than 3mph
3. Heated side mirrors
4. All outside lights turned off when the e-brake is engaged
5. Optional active xenon headlights
6. Wipers that alternate their park position for even wear
7. With a computer and vagcom software you can change everything from the sound of the door chime to the delay speed of the rear window wiper. Program your keyfob to roll all windows down or up, unlock all doors or just one door and enable/disable a dozen other features
8. Love or hate it, TPMS is rare at this price point
9. Custom connection for USB cable, iPod connection and others

And you're going to spew hate at VW all over bluetooth? Really? A co-worker just bought a Chevy Cruze, doesn't even HAVE bluetooth. Or touchscreen radio. I can play music on an SD card, a USB drive, iPod, or steam over bluetooth. He can't do ANY of those things, as can't most anyone else.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I'm kind of the same mind. It sounds like the trade-off is:

Being able to voice-call out, but losing the LED showing a connection.

That doesn't sound horrible. It might be worth it if the MFD has an alternate way of confirming the phone is connected (like a Bluetooth icon in the MFD).

If there's nothing to replace the LED, I am fine with keeping the 9w2 and just using my phone's voice capabilities to voice-call out. It's been okay to live with for 2.5 years.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^You will never miss the green light and especially you won't miss the yellow light when a phone isn't paired. I'm happy those lights are gone. The 9W7 is great, with a refund or without. You can see everything you want and more in the MFD.

Listen to what Mr. Timewise said in posts above. Just go buy the 9W7 and let it go. I did, more than a year ago now, and I was happy as could be even without any refund. Sure, I'm happy to have the money back now, but I would buy the 9W7 again even without the refund.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I hate having a dummy light. The one for the sunroof bothers me to this day. Then again, maybe that would de-sensitize me to having two up there.

The 9w7 has the bluetooth icon in the MFD, but it hasn't been confirmed yet (I don't think) that this settlement upgrade has any such thing. That's what I'll need to ask before they do anything to my car on Monday.

As for buying a 9w7, I would consider it for $200 but really, it's not that big a deal to me. We have one in our new Tiggy, and rarely call out on it. When we do, it's hit or miss whether voice-dialing works the way we want. I really would be fine continuing to use my (flip - it's a dinosaur just like me, but perfectly serviceable) phone's built-in voice functions.

Last edited:

mickstan

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
What I'm pissed about is the fact that I paid good money for this car WITH the options I was lead to believe I was getting. This is NOT what I got. When I purchased a $7800 2004 Chevy Aveo with anti-lock brakes, then discovered that in fact it DID NOT have anti lock brakes, it took ONE call to GM customer service to fix it. They sent me a check for $600 some odd dollars, the cost of the option listed that the car did not actually have. That was on a freakin '$7800 dollar car! NOT a $30,000 car. They promptly fixed the issue without any argument whatsoever. They admitted they were wrong and made it right. VW will not even admit to the "mistake" and furthermore, they feel as though they did nothing wrong. To me, thats called lying, and it is decietful at the least. I will not do business with a company like that a second time. If you want to continue to support that type of behavior, then "so be it".

The reason we did not pursue this further at the time was that our dealer told us it was not possible to remedy it AT ALL. I've have already gone rounds with the dealer and VWoA about this issue long ago. Then we heard about a possible lawsuit being brought against them. 18 months went by while we crossed our fingers that VW would be forced to make it right. I'm not jumping on any "bandwagon" here trying to get something for free. I paid for that option once already when I bought the car. Other VW models we looked at had the option, in fact the salesman showed us how it worked. When asked if the wagon had the same option, he said "sure, look at the window sticker. There it is right there". I still have the original window sticker, and the option is listed just like the other models that have the functionality that mine does not. Thats called fraud. Now I will have to pay for it a second time? And I'm the one in the wrong? W T F? You can defend VW all you want, but I smell a rat. I have NEVER been treated this way by a company that cares about its customer base, and wants to be such a big player in the US market. Heck, Mattel treated us better when our sons ride-on Jeep needed a $80 transmission, they sent me TWO for free!!!

Oh and my moms Ford Flex and my sister-in laws Ford Escape (both less expensive vehicles) have this option and USB and aux input. The technological "wonders" you state that only VW has, I can live without most of them and other manufacturers also offer the important ones. So don't preach to me about how Ford and Chevy suck because they don't offer this or that and how easy it is to mod this or tweak that. I didn't buy this car to "mod and tweak". I bought it for my wife to drive safely and at the time it got good reviews and it is a NEW car that wouldn't need to be "modded" or "tweaked" or repaired for a long time. I have a 1978 Z28 to tinker with if I fell like "modding".

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
And for those saying you'll never buy another VW over this, so be it. You'd rather have a Ford or Chevy, so be it, you tell me if any of them (especially at the 24-25k price point) have any of these features:

1. Fog lamps that come on, in the direction of your slow speed turn to provide additional lighting
2. Wipers that automatically slow down when traveling less than 3mph
3. Heated side mirrors
4. All outside lights turned off when the e-brake is engaged
5. Optional active xenon headlights
6. Wipers that alternate their park position for even wear
7. With a computer and vagcom software you can change everything from the sound of the door chime to the delay speed of the rear window wiper. Program your keyfob to roll all windows down or up, unlock all doors or just one door and enable/disable a dozen other features
8. Love or hate it, TPMS is rare at this price point
9. Custom connection for USB cable, iPod connection and others

And you're going to spew hate at VW all over bluetooth? Really? A co-worker just bought a Chevy Cruze, doesn't even HAVE bluetooth. Or touchscreen radio. I can play music on an SD card, a USB drive, iPod, or steam over bluetooth. He can't do ANY of those things, as can't most anyone else.
The point is that VW has handled this wrong from the get-go and is now exacerbating matters with their response at this time. Even forgetting the initial ill-advised decision to install the 9w2 when there was a perfectly good module being used in their other vehicles, if they had responded appropriately to those who noticed and cared and inquired, there would have been no lawsuit and many, many, many fewer systems to upgrade (not to mention and none of the ill will among customers that is now becoming widespread). Regardless of vehicle cost, we have every reason to expect and count on responsive and responsible customer service. In the absence of that - and who knows what the next issue will be for any of us - it's perfectly reasonable to consider scratching VW off any future purchase lists.

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
My 2 cents:

For many of you reading this thread, I suggest that you simply buy the 9W7 BT module, install it yourself, and be happy. Forget about VW's settlement (which was just fine for me - I got my refund).

It was more than 18 months between the time I posted about my installation of the very first 9W7 in North America and the mailed notification and issuance of the claim/refund request documents by Rust Consulting. During that time I elaborated in dozens of posts on the 9W7's features and benefits, and how easy it was to install. Many complaints being made here are without merit considering the low cost (under $200 now) and simple, short installation time (no tools, and less than 5 minutes) for a 9W7 BT module.

Of course, some complaints here may be valid, but any which suggest that the 9W7 will cause you to lose a significant feature are just dead wrong. If you don't like what VW is asking their dealers to install, the resolution is to spend a couple hundred bucks and do the installation yourself. It's so easy that it's ridiculous...a caveman can do it. It'll take less time to install yourself than phoning the dealer for an appointment.

Or don't do anything and save the $200...because apparently many people reading this thread thought the 9W2 was just fine during the last couple years. If you're just now complaining about the lack of Bluetooth connectivity, or just now responding to everyone else's complaints, I suggest you've come late to the party and all the good looking people have already paired up.

OK, I'm stepping off the soap box.
Where/how can a 9w7 be had for under $200? The dealers I checked with most recently quoted me over a range from $400 to $600.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

mickstan

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Regardless of vehicle cost, we have every reason to expect and count on responsive and responsible customer service. In the absence of that - and who knows what the next issue will be for any of us - it's perfectly reasonable to consider scratching VW off any future purchase lists.
Thats the bottom line.

boiler_1

TDI
2010 TDI JSW
I had the upgrade installed two days ago. As already reported, the green light connectivity indicator does not function any longer. The voice dialing seems to work pretty well but is only turned on using the overhead button. The dealer did not re-program the button on the steering wheel. No phone book in the MFD. The Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) functions as it did before with no problems. So really, the only “feature” you lose is the connection indicator and you gain the ability to voice dial. I may be imagining it, but I was able to hear someone talking over the Bluetooth much better. Time will tell on this. While we all expected to receive a 9w7 with this upgrade since they were providing refunds for that module, VW seems to have fulfilled the terms of the settlement by providing a method for hands free dialing.

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
I recommend you sell that car ASAP!

What I'm pissed about is the fact that I paid good money for this car WITH the options I was lead to believe I was getting. This is NOT what I got. When I purchased a $7800 2004 Chevy Aveo with anti-lock brakes, then discovered that in fact it DID NOT have anti lock brakes, it took ONE call to GM customer service to fix it. They sent me a check for $600 some odd dollars, the cost of the option listed that the car did not actually have. That was on a freakin '$7800 dollar car! NOT a $30,000 car. They promptly fixed the issue without any argument whatsoever. They admitted they were wrong and made it right. VW will not even admit to the "mistake" and furthermore, they feel as though they did nothing wrong. To me, thats called lying, and it is decietful at the least. I will not do business with a company like that a second time. If you want to continue to support that type of behavior, then "so be it".

The reason we did not pursue this further at the time was that our dealer told us it was not possible to remedy it AT ALL. I've have already gone rounds with the dealer and VWoA about this issue long ago. Then we heard about a possible lawsuit being brought against them. 18 months went by while we crossed our fingers that VW would be forced to make it right. I'm not jumping on any "bandwagon" here trying to get something for free. I paid for that option once already when I bought the car. Other VW models we looked at had the option, in fact the salesman showed us how it worked. When asked if the wagon had the same option, he said "sure, look at the window sticker. There it is right there". I still have the original window sticker, and the option is listed just like the other models that have the functionality that mine does not. Thats called fraud. Now I will have to pay for it a second time? And I'm the one in the wrong? W T F? You can defend VW all you want, but I smell a rat. I have NEVER been treated this way by a company that cares about its customer base, and wants to be such a big player in the US market. Heck, Mattel treated us better when our sons ride-on Jeep needed a $80 transmission, they sent me TWO for free!!!

Oh and my moms Ford Flex and my sister-in laws Ford Escape (both less expensive vehicles) have this option and USB and aux input. The technological "wonders" you state that only VW has, I can live without most of them and other manufacturers also offer the important ones. So don't preach to me about how Ford and Chevy suck because they don't offer this or that and how easy it is to mod this or tweak that. I didn't buy this car to "mod and tweak". I bought it for my wife to drive safely and at the time it got good reviews and it is a NEW car that wouldn't need to be "modded" or "tweaked" or repaired for a long time. I have a 1978 Z28 to tinker with if I fell like "modding".

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I had the upgrade installed two days ago. As already reported, the green light connectivity indicator does not function any longer. The voice dialing seems to work pretty well but is only turned on using the overhead button. The dealer did not re-program the button on the steering wheel. No phone book in the MFD. The Bluetooth streaming (A2DP) functions as it did before with no problems. So really, the only “feature” you lose is the connection indicator and you gain the ability to voice dial. I may be imagining it, but I was able to hear someone talking over the Bluetooth much better. Time will tell on this. While we all expected to receive a 9w7 with this upgrade since they were providing refunds for that module, VW seems to have fulfilled the terms of the settlement by providing a method for hands free dialing.
Thanks for the detail. Is there any way to tell if the BT is connected to your phone other than being able to dial out/receive? For example, is there now a BT icon in the MFD? Also, might I ask, which radio do you have?

glennmax

TDI
Golf VI
Thanks for the detail. Is there any way to tell if the BT is connected to your phone other than being able to dial out/receive? For example, is there now a BT icon in the MFD? Also, might I ask, which radio do you have?
Good questions.
I hope the member with one post and who joined TDIClub yesterday will reply.

I would love to see a picture of the label on the new module.
I understand the part number is not a 9w7 number its something different.
That would be nice info too.

mickstan

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I recieved a letter from oemplus.com today. They say that part number 7P6-035-730C has been dropped and has been replaced with 5K0035730G. They will report back to me as soon as they know if the 9w7 is still available. I looked this up and all I can find is that it is an interface box(?) and it costs around 700 bucks. Ouch!

mickstan

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Is there any way to tell if the BT is connected to your phone other than being able to dial out/receive? For example, is there now a BT icon in the MFD?
answer: No

Also, might I ask, which radio do you have?
answer: I have the radio with the touch screen and satelite functionality but no navigation. Not sure what the actual model is.

boiler_1

TDI
2010 TDI JSW
Good questions.
I hope the member with one post and who joined TDIClub yesterday will reply.

I would love to see a picture of the label on the new module.
I understand the part number is not a 9w7 number its something different.
That would be nice info too.
I have the RCD-510. When the bluetooth is connected, you can scroll through the MFD pages and a bluetooth page appears which does show connectivity. In general though there is no indication of a bluetooth connection on the MFD (on the fuel consumption page for example). I'll see if I can find some time to get a picture of the module.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have upgrade card.... Thinking of staying with what I have, 9W2 I assume.

I read through this thread and confused?

The new box give me contact list on MDI, but that is all.
Does it have voice activation, dialing, hang up?
Overhead green BT connect LED becomes inoperative but chime can be programed?

Will it read my Android HTTC Evo 4G phone's contacts?
So do we get a 9W3 or 9W7 box or some hybrid settlement box to meet bare min requirements?

Inquiring minds need to know.