ALH Samurai

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/2400905-alh-samurai-slow-build.html

Hi, my names Tanner and I can't believe that I put a thumbs down on my post, but here’s the start of an ALH Samurai/Toyota hybrid.

I'm a complete newbie to building btw.

This first post will be a general intro into the build. I will reserve 2nd and 3rd post for progress.

I’ve had the 1987 Samurai for over a year and it ran great when I first got it then it had a distributor go bad. I replaced distributor, rotor, distributor cap, sparkplugs, wires, ignition coil, and I put an MSD 6AL-2 on it. Ran great, then a hose came off the radiator and I wasn’t paying enough attention going down the road and boom, I blew my head gasket. I have the head gasket and will fix the engine before selling the engine and rest of the drivetrain.

I bought a 2000 Jetta TDi with papers of a rebuilt engine 45k miles ago, the clutch has started to fail with the previous owner, and he thought that was what was wrong with the car, claiming it wouldn’t start without a new clutch. I traced down the problem to either bad wire on the harness or bad ECU/ECM. I replaced the ECM with an immobilizer-deleted unit. After new ECU the car started right up and I drove it around. Sold transmission and that’s the start of the project.

I bought a 1985 Toyota Pickup 4x4 22re on my 25th birthday, the truck body has 220k miles, but I have no idea about the engine. I have driven the truck around and it runs well. I plan on keeping the truck in running order till the engine sells as I imagine any buyer would like to hear the engine, crank, idle, and run for confidence in buying.

Samurai:

Jetta:

Update: Sunday, October 30th 2016, also my birthday I picked up a 1985 Straight Axle 22re
Toyota:

Last edited:

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
reserved #2

I'll try an update this post with questions and costs as they occur associated with the build!

Donors:
1987 Samurai: $2400 (I paid $2100, but over the year put about another $300 in it)
2000 Jetta TDi: $1000
1985 Pickup 4x4 22re: $850

Parts Purchased:
ECU w/Immobilizer Delete: $175

Parts Sold From Donors:
Jetta 5-Speed Swap: - $900
Toyota 22re: -$800

Total: $2725 (check my math)

Keep in mind there's probably more already just for fuel and miscellaneous stuff. Not much more, but it's there.

Parts I'm Wanting or Waiting for to show up used throughout build
Ross-Tech VCDS Cable KII USB
Nozzles: Preferably .216

Last edited:

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
9/22/16 So the Jetta had the manual transmission sold today well kinda, I sold it over on vwvortex for $900, the man is going to come get it October 8th and paid half upfront. So this is the progress for tonight.

As you'll see in the photo not much done, it will be a long project. I'm in college till December when I graduate.

I will state, this wiring harness was a pain and I'm not even ready to drop the engine and trans yet.. My goodness I read here on tdiclub how people drop an engine and transmission this way in an hour. This will be my first pull.

Update:9/23/16 Nothing substantial so I didn't make new post engine is out of car, not separated from transmission and have not gotten all wiring out. Will resume work probably Monday 9/26/16.

Last edited:

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
So today I found local to me a 1985 Toyota Pickup with 22re 4x4. Drove it 20 miles today and pulls well transmission is not sloppy at all, does have vacuum leak. Trying to sell engine on some Facebook groups. Anyways I'm happy and some progress is made finally lol. Oh and BTW I paid $850

So now I have:
w56-a (aluminum center section)
Transfer case
Axles
Clutch components (though I need new clutch)
Wheels and Good 31's
Among other small things

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
So here it is ready to go to its new home. I pulled engine fully dressed I'd say, or a lot more than a long block.

So this is what it looks like when you're really elegant on pulling an engine.. You just don't let a drop of liquid touch the clean basement floor

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
So I pulled front driveshaft, transmission, and transfer case tonight. I dropped it on the ground once I removed the front driveshaft, which was a pain in the butt, then I took the cherry picker did a strap around axle lifted truck slid transmission out from under.

My question is what is this cable going to transmission? I believe it's for the speedometer and I will need it to make speedometer work in the samurai.

Here it is on transmission

Here it is going into firewall

Also what transmission is this. It can't be a W56A or B, it has to be either C, D, or E because it has a forward shifter and cover on transfercase. How can I find out? Also it doesn't bother me that it's different, the tranny shifted excellent, and hopefully it'll stay that way. So I know the tranny has less miles than truck, question is how many less **hmmm

ronnierider

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 1987 4Runner w/97aaz swap
Visit marlin crawler for your best w56 identification information. I'd guess it's a c or maybe a d(never had one in my possession)memory, but don't have time tonight to verify suspicion. Great project, I've got almost 60000 kms on my 87 4Runner tdi conversion Daily driver/playtime transport and love the balance of power and fuel efficiency.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
Visit marlin crawler for your best w56 identification information. I'd guess it's a c or maybe a d(never had one in my possession)memory, but don't have time tonight to verify suspicion. Great project, I've got almost 60000 kms on my 87 4Runner tdi conversion Daily driver/playtime transport and love the balance of power and fuel efficiency.

That's great to hear, also unfortunately it is a g54 transmission. Nothing in particular wrong with it, I just want the strongest Trans from the get go even if this one may be more fresh than a w56 I'll find.

Great news is that the transfercase on this is the same as a forward shift w56. So any 22re transmission after 89 will work.

Oh, and visiting marlin was the first thing I done once I sat down more. That's how I discovered what it was.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
That's great to hear, also unfortunately it is a g54 transmission. Nothing in particular wrong with it, I just want the strongest Trans from the get go even if this one may be more fresh than a w56 I'll find.

Great news is that the transfercase on this is the same as a forward shift w56. So any 22re transmission after 89 will work.

Oh, and visiting marlin was the first thing I done once I sat down more. That's how I discovered what it was.
If you want the strongest trans, then go with a R151f and use 4cyl Acme adapter, or use a much more commonly available R150f and use 6cyl Acme adapter kit. Both are much stronger than the W56

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked for an r151f, but the things are next to impossible to find, the v6 tranny would be nice though I do agree.