MIL Led Cluster Problem

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I posted this in the GLX cluster mod thread but who reads that ? My problem is that I modded the cluster but am not getting the correct results. I must be doing something incorrectly here. I have a 96 glx chassis and the original glx cluster with a tdi swap. I added the two resistors, the led lamp in position 5 and the wire for the mil light. Key on and the new mil lamp glows very faintly, but it does turn on. Put a tdi cluster in and all bulbs work as they should. So.... either the resistor(s) is causing too much voltage drop, or, the resistors are unnecessary to begin with in this application, or the 276-021 3vdc Radio Shack led is too high of a voltage rating ? Any thoughts ? Thanks.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
no idea but I am interested as I will be swapping a TDI into a 1995 corrado and I plan to use the CEL that is not located in the instrument cluster.

Did you just do the same thing for the glowplug light?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I knew the answer was one of the three variables I mentioned, too much voltage drop, incorrect resistor application, wrong bulb. I just now figured out I grabbed the wrong resistor out of the bag of 1,000. I grabbed an 82k resistor instead of 820. Guess the old eyeballs need a tuneup. Correct color code is grey red brown. You should not make the resistor legs so long as they might hit the tach face cover after it is assembled again.

Last edited: