US cross country road trip tips

vchaudha

Veteran Member
TDI
3 TDIs
Hi Guys
Need some advice - I am planning on taking a road trip from DC to vegas, California, then Seattle and then back to DC.
Need tips related to my 98 Jetta TDI with 89K miles, any specific maintainance tips (will def. get an oil change done before and after), routes (planning on sticking to main highways), good/cheap places to stay and places to visit. Appreciate all the help.
Now I am doing this with my visiting in-laws (shoot me) and wifey - is it recommended or should I spend tons of money flying around the country, but the price difference is huge!!
Thanks
Vinny

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
You're going roundtrip to Cali and Seattle with your wife AND in-laws?

Shall we just shoot you now and spare you the misery?

You are a braver man than I, that's for sure.

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
Why don't you and the dog drive, and they can fly or take the train?

That way you get to enjoy the road trip (and retain your sanity).

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
I wanted to do that too. I would recommend you to get a spare maf, fuel filter, tire repair kit, spare relay 109 and a hand air pump with you for your trip and enjoy. keep posted what route you will take, etc.

vchaudha

Veteran Member
TDI
3 TDIs
Hi Guys - With all the planning that needed to go into a long distance road trip and to keep my sanity and stress levels good for me, I have decided to not make this journey with the present company. ;-) However, I will be flying to Vegas from DC and then do the max I can do with a rental for the west coast and the national parks north of vegas
V

tdimontana

TDI
Red, 97 Passat TDI, Green 97 Passat TDI
Hey you should have gone for it. With the wife only though.
Driving in the west is always fun and adventure. Lots of great things to see out here. Your car isn't that high milage for a TDI. In- laws can stay home and take care of pooch.
My wife and I just came back from a 2 day run of 900 miles, up into BC and back. All on one tank of fuel. In a 177,000 plus miles 97 Passat. It was a great time.