My Buyback now rejected.. 2014 PassatTDI 6 spd

sws@att.net

TDI
2014 Passat
I was planning to keep my 2014 Passat TDI with a 6 spd having it fixed, and then keep it. I was very happy with the car.

Unfortunately I received notice in March 2018 that there would be no "fix" for my manual Passat, and I filled out the online form to return the car, planning to return it in the 4Q 2018. I was involved in a car accident in April 2018, and have been recovering, then my home was heavily damaged in a flood, I have been recovering from the accident, surgeries to correct the damage, and my home being rebuilt.

In September 2019 I contacted the VW Buyback group, again to arrange my turn in date, and was told that there was something the matter with my original "acceptance" of the buyback, but they would not tell me what. I sent all the documents back again to them in an appeal and followed up each month and heard nothing. (I attached to the appeal the picture of car, picture of my license, picture of registration, and insurance card etc). Heard nothing, I just now received a letter that my appeal has been rejected, and I dont know where to turn.

What I have is a car that I agreed to turn in, that they have no fix for, and there is no one to talk to. I had surgery again in November for my accident, and the Passat is sitting quietly in my garage. Who can I talk to about this? I feel cheated and mistreated by VW, because I followed their process, and I also followed their appeal. What can I do now?

Stephen

Lowangle

TDI
Mk6 sportwagon
Sounds like an issue for your insurance company. I dont blame VW for rejecting a crashed car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You played the game and lost. You chose to keep the car. You chose to wait until the last minute. Then life happened and dealt you a bad hand. I am assuming your car was totaled or very nearly. Unfortunately for you everyone else has gotten paid and gone home so unless you can get one of the class action attorneys or your own counsel to do something for you, you are out of luck. Is the car totaled? Were you at fault in the accident? Why are you not suing the other driver for damages or are you trying for a trifecta where you collect from your insurance, their insurance and VW? Your surgeries and flood issues mean nothing in this situation as VW has no link with that stuff. Good luck with your recovery from the accident and flood!

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
You played the game and lost. You chose to keep the car. You chose to wait until the last minute. Then life happened and dealt you a bad hand. I am assuming your car was totaled or very nearly. Unfortunately for you everyone else has gotten paid and gone home so unless you can get one of the class action attorneys or your own counsel to do something for you, you are out of luck. Is the car totaled? Were you at fault in the accident? Why are you not suing the other driver for damages or are you trying for a trifecta where you collect from your insurance, their insurance and VW? Your surgeries and flood issues mean nothing in this situation as VW has no link with that stuff. Good luck with your recovery from the accident and flood!
The OP hasn't done a very good job of explaining the situation. He PM'ed me about the paralegal info.

He didn't get in to a car accident with the TDI. He was driving a rental when he got in the accident and incurred severe physical injuries which required him to be in the hospital for some time.

The TDI is in pristine condition in his garage.

His mistake was waiting until the final days of the buyback like I did.

My bet paid off (appeal won).

His did not.

:(

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The OP hasn't done a very good job of explaining the situation. He PM'ed me about the paralegal info.

He didn't get in to a car accident with the TDI. He was driving a rental when he got in the accident and incurred severe physical injuries which required him to be in the hospital for some time.

The TDI is in pristine condition in his garage.

His mistake was waiting until the final days of the buyback like I did.

My bet paid off (appeal won).

His did not.
:(
Thanks for the real story the info helps this forum understand what really happened not that VW is just a bunch of pukes that we should all beware of being screwed by.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You should still get restitution payment.
Seek help.
His choice of the buyback over restitution and the fix was very clearly spelled out in the documents received a long time ago. His choice was to gamble and win unfortunately all gamblers do not win.

You can flame me all you want but in this case, pain and suffering is not part of the equation.:(

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I am confused as well how this could have happened.

Did you ever get an offer letter from VW? You said there was something wrong with the letter... did they ever ask you to re-submit it and you sent in an appeal instead of just re-uploading it online?

Really sucks that life happened, but I have a feeling you overlooked some step and at this point I think the only option is to sue VW on your own.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You should still get restitution payment.
Nope. That only applied if there was a "fix" - which, for this specific car, ended up not being available. Since there is no fix, the only option was (key word) buyback. Since the original poster waited too long, they have run out of options.

It's a car. You can sell it - just like selling any other car. Put an ad up in the classifieds, sell it, and get on with life. Or keep it and keep on driving as if nothing had ever happened. You are no further behind than if the whole dieselgate scandal had never happened. Skip the lawyers and all that - it's too late for that. The opportunity for a windfall has passed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A 12-14 manual Passat is a rare bird. OP should be able to get a pretty good price for it.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
There was never restitution independently of a non-existent fix.
You are wrong.

People were selling back their cars, long before any fix was available. And they got restitution.

Restitution was for ALL claims. Fix or buyback.

Ask anyone who sold back an identical manual Passat. They got restitution. Stop spreading lies.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You guys are talking across each other. The OP could have sold back his car at any time and received payment, a portion of which you could call restitution. People who kept their cars and got them fixed also received restitution. However, there is no fix for the OP's car. What GoFaster is saying is that he couldn't keep the car and receive restitution without getting it fixed, and that's not an option.

I have never heard of people receiving restitution for a vehicle they kept and did not get fixed. That's why there are so few cars like the OPs available. The only way to get a payout from VW for a '12-14 Passat with a manual was to sell it back. Tell me if I'm wrong, please.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
He had a claim for buyback.
He is still entitled to restitution, even with a crashed car.

If you have paperwork that shows car was declared totaled that is all you need. Get a lawyer, except you won't do that.

Given your misfortune, I think you wanted this to fall upon yourself. You cursed yourself in your own words. You declared yourself mistreated, so mistreated you have become.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
There was a provision for any previous owners to receive restitution if they sold before the program was announced. There was a drop dead date to apply and that has long since passed. If you owned the car after the buyback program was announced, the only way to receive restitution was through a buyback or fix. No restitution money if you chose to keep the car and do nothing.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
See post #2 in this thread; the TDI is not crashed. Original poster simply waited too long without doing anything ... something that we, collectively, on this forum had warned against almost from the outset. Our advice, here, consistently, was get the paperwork done. If you wanted to hold off with turning the car in, do it at the last step when they were ready to set a date.

At this point, there is nothing to be obtained from VW. But, it is just another car, and if the original poster needs to get out of it, they can sell it just like any other car.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No restitution money if you chose to keep the car and do nothing.
And that statement equally applies if there was no fix available for the car in question (which is the case here). The original poster could have chosen to go through buyback (if they had proceeded with the paperwork in a timely fashion). That they chose not to (by sitting around doing nothing), means they chose to keep the car, do nothing, get nothing.

It's just a car. It can be put up in the classified ads and sold. It can be traded in for a different one.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
He had a claim for buyback.
He is still entitled to restitution, even with a crashed car.

If you have paperwork that shows car was declared totaled that is all you need. Get a lawyer, except you won't do that.

Given your misfortune, I think you wanted this to fall upon yourself. You cursed yourself in your own words. You declared yourself mistreated, so mistreated you have become.
As has already been stated the car was not crashed and is in perfect shape in the garage. It seems the issue is of missing the required deadlines due to health and flood problems. I am sure he didn't want this to happen but it did. Either drive the car like nothing has happened or sell it and recoup some of your money. Little to gain here by going after VW now.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
What does health and flood problems have to do with a buyback?

I won the lottery, and because of all the money I was enjoying, I missed the buyback. Woe to me.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
See post #2 in this thread; the TDI is not crashed. Original poster simply waited too long without doing anything ... something that we, collectively, on this forum had warned against almost from the outset. Our advice, here, consistently, was get the paperwork done. If you wanted to hold off with turning the car in, do it at the last step when they were ready to set a date.

At this point, there is nothing to be obtained from VW. But, it is just another car, and if the original poster needs to get out of it, they can sell it just like any other car.

All good points. It is shown time and again what errors a person can avoid just by hanging around periodically on the relevant car forums — whether they post anything or not. Maybe it is this issue, maybe the K&N filter fiasco, how to reprogram the ECU for a new battery, who knows. Including dieselgate (maybe not entirely fair but whatever) the habit has saved me over $40,000 on six VW/Audis and just as importantly, untold amounts of confusion and stress.