Hard start issue

msalyers

TDI
01 new beetle 99 beetle
I am new to the community I have two tdi beetles one is a 2001 the other a 1998 the 98 has the hot start issue I don't have vag com is there an easy fix for it thanks

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
It is a common problem on those cars. Contact www.rocketchip.com . It will require sending the ECU in for reprogramming the hot start fueling. I don't think that it can be flashed through the OBD port. You may need some contact with a code reader that can clear the codes afterward.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Yup, the starting IQ map for manual transmission cars has a chunk of 0's in it which means when the engine is hot and below 250rpms the car will be very hard to start. I am guessing the programmer must of went on lunch while doing the map or something and forgot to finish it. It never got caught because it didn't effect new cars.

I am currently working on a doing a remap fix at home. Debating on doing a DIY but its not for the faint of heart. Its very doable with a $40 chip reader, and old XP computer, and a soldering iron if you know what you are doing...

msalyers

TDI
01 new beetle 99 beetle
To be honest this car starts hard all the time I'm just going on what I was told when I bought it I just want make sure there's no other issues I should look at before I send my ecu off and spend the money