Which Models can you Camp In??

Jacob_Keith

TDI
none yet!
Which models/years have rear seats that fold completely flat so you can easily camp in there? I'm pretty sure all of the wagons do, but otherwise I'm confused.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I tried my passat wagon the other day. If the front seats are all away, and don't mind heels hanging over, or packing something to fill the void I'm 6ft and I'd make it happen if needed.

Sent from an unlocked HTC One with CM12.1

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Depends on how much room you need, I take the back seats out of my mk4 2 door for long hauls and catch a few hours of rest on longer trips (San Diego to Atlanta) so I can only imagine the wagon would have storage plus sleep room! The trick is taking the seat or seats out. 6ft plus is doable in a mk4 golf just not for touring America for weeks! If that helps any ;)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes in a Golf if you take the seat backs off you could curl up in the back as it is not quite six feet. I know i can get a water heater in my car so sleeping would be not bad. The wagon probably has 6 inches of length on the Golf.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Sleeping?, as in on the road, pull over, nap for 20 minutes, get going again? any will do. I actually prefer the front seats as they recline nearly flat.
"camping" in the car? not for me, thanks. If I need to stop for hours (not just minutes) I get a cheap hotel and a shower.

None fit the idea of "...easily camp in there."
Well, the Eurovan Weekender with a TDI swap might be tolerable....

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
My MKIV wagon works...I can stretch out but I have to remove the bottom parts of the seats to do so. If I don't I can't stretch out. Removing the bottom of the rear seats takes about one minute though and no tools.

This is reason I miss my 2004 Ford Focus Wagon....15 more cubic feet of storage than my Jetta wagon and it was longer in the back. Go figure.

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Me and 2 other guys all camped in my mk4 jetta at Talladega this year. All of us 6' it wasn't ideal, and I would not enjoy doing it again. But yes, alcohol was involved

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Me and 2 other guys all camped in my mk4 jetta at Talladega this year. All of us 6' it wasn't ideal, and I would not enjoy doing it again. But yes, alcohol was involved
You had three six foot tall men sleeping in a MK4 Jetta? Wth?

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Me in the driver seat with it leaned back some, one in the passenger seat with it leaned back some, and the third was in the trunk/backseat. I don't think I would willingly do it again. My neck hurt the next day and my body was stiff

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I have slept in my MKIV sedan with the back seats folded down and me feet in the trunk. There is a little ledge between the seat and trunk opening (about an 1" or so) that is rather annoying... but it can be done. Especially with alcohol being involved.

I'm not saying it is fun or ideal, but a sleeping bag and a pillow and its doable.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
After having done a double shift one night and my relief showing up 3 hours late it made no sense to go home so I slept with the backseat of my 2009 Jetta TDI. I used to keep a comforter and pillows in my trunk. Not the ideal sleeping position with bended knees but those neck pillows helped.

Alcohol would of helped knock me out but I had none. A horrible night.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The 2015 wagon does not fold quite so flat as the earlier ones. the seat bench is fixed like the sedan, instead of folding out of the way.

I stopped to look at one today.

might not be too bad to sleep on.

and it may even fold flatter if you left it that way and the seat material compressed a bit.