Power Steering rack

cnighbor2

TDI
2003 Jetta SW TDI Manual
Power Steering rack ?
Our 2003 Jetta TDI SW Manual 350K became hard to turn after backing out of our garage and hearing a snap sound
1. no puddle of oil on garage floor
2. car runs fine but not hard to turn
3. does power steering rack needs replacement
4. Is there a power steering reservoir to check to see if just low on fluid
5. What else could be problem?
6. Scheduled to take to mechanic in SF Gage Motors Monday 07/27/2015 and we would need to have Jetta towed for that distance if can't get steering correct
thanks for any insights

Charles Nighbor

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yes, there is a reservoir on a 2003. Your owners manual will tell you were it is and the correct fluid to use if it is low. Probably not the problem, but doesn't hurt to check the level.

A loud snap is not a good sign. Have someone that knows cars check it out to make sure it is safe to drive the car.

With 350K miles, there could be a lot of things that caused your problem, some dangerous, some OK to drive. Not just a steering rack.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
OK then. Good choice. If you don't know if something is safe, it is best to assume it is not until you can prove otherwise.:cool:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The serp belt on the end of the engine hasn't snapped?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes, and it is the most visible thing on the most forward corner of the engine/accessories assembly on the passenger side. That is, you'll see the smooth side of the belt. If you see the ribbed pulley without the belt on it, you have a problem.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've seen a couple of the KYB pumps snap the shaft clean off. And the belt/pulley will stay in place and spin well enough that unless you actually look and see it wobbling as the engine runs, you may not know.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I've seen a couple of the KYB pumps snap the shaft clean off. And the belt/pulley will stay in place and spin well enough that unless you actually look and see it wobbling as the engine runs, you may not know.

No you didn't, not unless you've got cctv footage of the incident! Otherwise it's a myth :D

Seriously though, how could it snap the shaft? Maybe on one with a manual tensioner that's been wrenched way to tight.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Seriously though, how could it snap the shaft? Maybe on one with a manual tensioner that's been wrenched way to tight.
Would be my guess combined with the P/S pump seizing.

My 2 Slow A3 seized it's P/S pump but the belt was loose enough to allow the belt to slip at the crank shaft causing the water pump to stop turning.

Didn't snap the P/S pump shaft, but did peg the temp gauge within about a block and a half and the belt to almost catch fire at the crank.

Just guessing, but my P/S pump must have been a KYB.

Anyway, the OP does have an A4, so in his case IIRC he probably has a self adjusting tensioner.

Last edited: