Cr170 Stage 3 size up

Undercut

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2003 Jetta ALH 5spd
Good afternoon folks, I'm just waiting for my buzzken 3' exhaust to arrive and I'm getting ready to rip out the old 140 turbo and put in the 170. i was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me to make it go a little smoother, if the turbo was removed from the top or bottom? and if the axle was removed for the bottom. i found a decent DIY but the engine was plucked from the car. i always like to have a good plan in place before i start something and this will be my first time taking on a job this big on my TDI. Engine is the CBEA

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Remove it from the bottom. Remove the axle, it will give you much more room to work. Are you deleting the EGR cooler as well?

Undercut

TDI
Thank you, I have ordered the 3" strait pipe and my turbo kit comes with the block off plates for the egr. So I assume it's deleted? It looks rather busy up around the turbo, luckily I have lots of time to pick at it, it's kind of intimidating at first glance

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
egr valve and cooler delete requires a racepipe to be purchased. You are only getting the egr canister blockoff plate.

Undercut

TDI
Ahh, missed that! Good thing I came for some insight! Thanks guys! Sorry for the newbiness im just learning as I go! I'm sure I'll have some questions, and I appreciate any helpful advice/information! The Shed is open for drinks if anyone wants to lend a hand! Haha

Last edited:

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
So DPF delete, LP EGR delete, and CR170 turbo is what you are doing, correct? HP EGR tuned out...

Undercut

TDI
Evening folks, Just a quick little update! its going fairly well, very time consuming. Doing in all in my driveway on jack stands! So i got the Dpf, Erg Cooler and Turbo out! Lots of play in the Shaft, Oil all through the intercooler piping, what a mess!

its been raining all day so i haven't got out to put in the turbo, But my Exhaust arrived today! ECU and race pipe to arrive Wednesday!

Undercut

TDI
Isn't it! Special thanks to BuzzKen for the Fine ass Parts, and YukonLT for the Ativan Advice! I was Nerve Racked at first but he talked me down out of it! lol

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
Just had CR 170 turbo, Malone stage 3 put on my 09 Jetta. I pick it up from Dax @ Skunkwerx in KY tomorrow.?
Also had Darkside S3 intercooler and Hard pipe kit put on.
I already have Buzzken full exhaust and Snow Preformance water/meth kit.
Looking to have some fun!!

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Isn't it! Special thanks to BuzzKen for the Fine ass Parts, and YukonLT for the Ativan Advice! I was Nerve Racked at first but he talked me down out of it! lol
No problem, glad I could help! :)

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
borg warners all have shaft play, this is taken up when oil pressure is applied. As for oil in the intercooler that is common as well.

Undercut

TDI
The shaft will move side to side more than 10mm. When I removed the lower intercooler hose, about 350ml poured out, all the piping was soaked as well.

Undercut

TDI
Well it's Complete! I've been Driving it for over a week now and i must say i'm more than happy with the results. My fuel milage has gone up, its and absolute pleasure to drive under normal conditions, and even more pleasurable to stomp on. Pulls like a train! I must admit, I do love leaving little clouds of dark matter in the mirror :) the CR170 Turbo seems much more vocal over the Stock 140, and the 3" Buzzken Exhaust Sounds Mint! not too loud while stationary, But a Grumpy Growl when your Pulling hard!

I just want to say that Dealing with Ken (Buzzken) and Andrew (fixmyvw) has been an absolute pleasure! Great Prices, Service, And Products! Highly Recommend Either of them! They were able to help me along the way with any of my newbie questions and got me through it! Also want to thank YukonLT For Answering all my questions as well! Im glad i took on the job myself, It looked Really Intimidating at first, but after getting all the old garbage torn out of it the install is fairly simple, A Good Torque wrench is required.

http://vid1149.photobucket.com/albums/o583/smoothsefan/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/EB4EE903-D63A-4282-9852-B3585356817F.mp4

Last edited:

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Sounds great! Glad you were able to get it all done, and glad I could help in any way :)

Undercut

TDI
Yea it sounds pretty mean when you pull hard, I'll work on trying to get a clip of it but I can't see it doing any justice. I would still like to hear it with no muffler, I might get an axle back straight pipe eventually... :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think it sounds great straight piped. It's really not that loud. I just have one small bottle resonator on my 2.5" exhaust. It gives the car a whole new character.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Yea it sounds pretty mean when you pull hard, I'll work on trying to get a clip of it but I can't see it doing any justice. I would still like to hear it with no muffler, I might get an axle back straight pipe eventually... :)
dont suggest it, full 3 straight is terribly loud. I ran it for a few months its to much...turbo whistle is awesome but the rasp is deafening

Undercut

TDI
Hmmm, thanks. I'll still have the muffler anyway, but I would like to hear it for sure! There's just the right amount of grunt to it now. So I prob should just leave it be....

bobish

TDI
2009 JSW
I'm just about to start this same process, my factory turbo gave up, and today all the parts should arrive for my CR170 swap.

Any tips? Did you completely remove the axle or were you able to just unbolt it from the transmission and move it out of the way?

I just had an alignment done and would hate to have to get it redone, Mainly because no shop in my town has a working alignment machine. If pulling the axle completely is the only way then that's what I'll do, but figured I should ask.

Undercut

TDI
Are you doing egr/cooler delete as well? I just unbolted the axle from the stub and unbolted the ball joint to get the axle out. Other than that it takes some maneuvering and pressure on the heatshield to get the dpf out. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought, I had lots of encouraging words from the good folks here tho. oil feed and return lines are a bugger, take your time with them and don't bend them up. it's not as bad as it sounds tho!

cruzer1971

TDI
2010 Jetta
so the old turbo came out from the bottom but you had to remove the axle? I have the DPF out and trying to wiggle out the old turbo but not having any luck. Guess I will pull the axle.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
so the old turbo came out from the bottom but you had to remove the axle? I have the DPF out and trying to wiggle out the old turbo but not having any luck. Guess I will pull the axle.

Only need to unbolt it from the tranny.