2005 jetta bike rack, trunk mount? how do these work

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Hey guys. me and the girlfriend are planning on taking the TDI on a road trip on the west coast down through the states (im from southern alberta)

would be nice to bring the mountain bikes along too but I dont have a rack and dont know where to begin looking.

I dont think id like a roof mount, def would want a trunk mount. do those exist?

if so, what brands the best and where do you get them?

thanks!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have a few Saris Bones ones kicking around and they do move a bit when loaded heavy, something to think about. I use the Kuat hitch or roof rack now so I haven't used them in awhile but keep them around to loan to other people. Are your mountain bikes full suspension or hardtail? If full suspension, you'll need an adapter to get them to fit. Something else to consider, not that the adapters are expensive.

All of the ones Mike mentioned are good and allow you to adjust the angle of the bikes so they don't hit the car. Just get some bungee straps as well to keep the front tire from flopping around. And something to check is to make sure that when they're loaded the tires are away from the exhaust, otherwise they'll get burned off. I've seen this more than once. Also make sure they don't hit the ground when going over railroad tracks.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
awesome info guys. really appreciate that. ive send those companies an email to see what the best one for each is. those thules are pretty pricey at 400$ USD!

saris can be found for 189$ US.