2006 PD whiteish smoke but smells like burning oil?

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
First off, I'm writing this post with a ton of frustration, sorry if it seems a little all over the place. I did a quick search and didn't quite find what I'm looking for so going to post.
A brief history on the vehicle, it's not much as I don't know the history, I picked it up as a salvage rebuild project that has 184000km on it. The vehicle had been sitting for a while. The car had damage to the passengers side, the rad, condenser and intercooler was replaced from a parts vehicle. However the engine at idle has white smoke that has a light burning oil smell to it. When driving the smoke is the same as idle if not a bit worse. There's no CEL and the engine will rev to 5000\5200rpm in neutral no issue. There's no raw oil coming from the tail pipe.

There seems to be power, seeing how I'm not use to the 1.9PD I'm not sure if there's power loss or not. It seems fairly close to my brothers but his is auto and this is a 5spd. I can hear the turbo kick in between 1500rpm & 2000rpm range when accelerating, with no odd noises. The only odd noise I have is when I go to shift gears, I can hear a slight metal against metal grind, almost like the sound a rust brake rotors makes.

This project was to be a cheap rebuild... Which I'm now totally regretting.

I do have VCDS and can run various tests, however the vehicle is unlicensed so it's not always easy to do the tests.

Could this be simply a vehicle the needs to be driven? I did check the oil and it's right at if not a little over full.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'd start by data logging block 11 to see how the turbo is performing. Take it for a 5 to 10 minute drive with varying load and give it a couple full throttle pulls in 2nd and 3rd, a couple 1500-4000 pulls in 3rd. That should give you a strong idea of how the turbo is behaving, and you can drag/drop the data log onto our site.

Here's a log of what looks to be a stock ALH for example

http://log.malonetuning.com/chart/33456

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay thanks, when I did purchase the car about a year ago it didn't smolder like this when I would move it around, so it just ticks me off now that I'm ready to go get its structure test done it acts out.

I'll also check the coolant level to see if it changes, but I don't think it's coolant burning as the smoke smells like oil burning?

Not sure if I can pull the intake off and feel the turbo for play or not I'll check this out tomorrow and see.

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
So I just looked over the car, drained some oil, pulled the intake off and the turbo felt fine, didn't see and oil or feel any, aside from the tube that goes from the intake to the valve cover, there was a little there. Coolant levels are good (and yes it's very coolant) so I put it all back together pushed it outside and fired it up. No smoke.
So I let the car idle in my driveway for 15min or so and still no smoke.
So I took it for a drive 10km there wasnt much visible smoke that I could see, the turbo felt fine and the car easily go up to 130km at one point but that's when the car started to smoke, was when I pushed it up to that speed. Bring the car home and it's now smoking once again. Turned the car off, let it sit for a few minutes, pulled the dipstick and it's smoking from there, pulled the oil filler and same results. However, the thing didn't really burn much oil if any? Similar reading from when I drained some oil out. Coolant level remains the same.

Let the car sit for 10 or so minutes till the smoke is gone from the oil filler, start it up and no smoke.

So I'm puzzled on what to look for next, egr?

Last edited:

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't yet, it doesn't sound bad (unlike my brothers which we just did) the two sound the same when idling now that he is repaired

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
I just checked it, there is some minimal wear on cylinder 4 right lobe and a tiny tiny bit on cylinder 2 left lobe, nothing like what my brothers failed cam was like. Also appears to maybe have the black lifer caps vs the silver it's somewhat hard to tell

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
Removed and cleaned the egr and flapper valve. The egr was crazily bad gummed up. Reinstalled and so far no more smoke. Here's hoping that's all it is.

Car did a 40km drive issue free so far. The egr was pretty bad. Not quite sure how a code wasn't being sent off with how bad it was. My brothers wasn't nearly as bad and it was coding. Perhaps it wasn't driven far enough to do so.

Last edited: