Found my Replacement... MUST SEE

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/676145509/overview/

This was just listed on cars.com yesterday, somebody went to pick the car up today and got denied financing. I put a deposit down with 5 people waiting behind me and picked it up... It is GORGEOUS.

43k original miles, Carfax 1 owner with a service record like that. She just purrrrsssss 5 speed manual ALL stock.

Last edited:

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
All I know is parts for this car are dirt cheap. The car has had zero mechanical issues (checked with dealer) besides the blower that pushes the AC. For $8200 - I buy the car out for cash, and if something happens, I'm still way ahead and can easily afford a repair bill here and there. As far as parts for the car, there literally are thousands on eBay in brand new condition I'm already in the process of ordering replacement OEM parts to make her mint. What a deal!

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
You'd figure with all the negativity surrounded TDI's one would figure why the hell would anyone buy them? Sheesh you people are relentless, I paid 8250 for the car, it's mint- if I run into an issue or two and have to spend a bit, I'm still in a much better shape than any new car out there.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I think its a good buy. Low mileage, no issues, not affected by the scandal, tunes and parts available....sounds like a winner to me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
have fun replacing EGR coolers...
...Driver's door wiring, engine harness wires to speed sensor, turbo actuator, dual mass flywheel, heater core hose. Needs a timing belt now for age, not miles.

Don't get me wrong, BRMs aren't bad cars. But they're not trouble free. And parts aren't all dirt cheap. Finding one with low miles is a good thing, but it will still need catch up maintenance like the timing belt, and other repairs are sure to pop up.

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
...Driver's door wiring, engine harness wires to speed sensor, turbo actuator, dual mass flywheel, heater core hose. Needs a timing belt now for age, not miles.
Don't get me wrong, BRMs aren't bad cars. But they're not trouble free. And parts aren't all dirt cheap. Finding one with low miles is a good thing, but it will still need catch up maintenance like the timing belt, and other repairs are sure to pop up.
And camshafts....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I didn't mention cams because the car only has 43K on it. If the new owner uses the correct oil he may not have a cam problem for a long time, if at all.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Correct oil meets VW 505.01 spec, although others feel this isn't essential. What is important is that the oil is a 5w40. 5w30 oils seem to accelerate cam wear.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
All I know is parts for this car are dirt cheap. The car has had zero mechanical issues (checked with dealer) besides the blower that pushes the AC. For $8200 - I buy the car out for cash, and if something happens, I'm still way ahead and can easily afford a repair bill here and there. As far as parts for the car, there literally are thousands on eBay in brand new condition I'm already in the process of ordering replacement OEM parts to make her mint. What a deal!
I'll stop you right there. First off I'll say that your purchase is a plenty fine one. I can't say you shouldn't have bought the car. I have experience repairing most of the common issues on a family members BRM that seem to come up. With the experience and knowledge I've gained from that I would absolutely consider a BRM Jetta today, however it is a little small for my family.

It's a really cool little car. The Mk5 is really the last well built and quality Jetta. For the Mk6 in 2011 they started cheapening many things to get the price point down. Some things to make an example of this are going to hood props from the strut, and donut spare from full size. The Mk5 is really a great platform and the PD TDI is the very last of the non-DPF TDI's. BUT....

I think you may be a little over excited and don't have realistic expectations. I don't want to make your regret anything but I feel it's fair to be one of those that informs you of what you're dealing with here. You say parts are 'dirt cheap'? I don't really get that... I think overall VW parts are a good value (from the right source) compared to other brands out there. Tell me if you think these parts are cheap: Dual Mass Flywheel-~$350, Camshaft kit-$500-$1,400, Door Harness-$150, Turbocharger-~$1,000, EGR Cooler-$300, etc etc etc

Those parts listed are some of the most common problems that are a matter of WHEN not IF. You're at less than 50k miles right now so you may be doing pretty good. The cams start to show up around 90k and everything else can be sooner than that or later than that.

The labor for those parts is also very expensive. If you enjoy working on your own vehicles you could do much of those items yourself, however. That's really the only way to make owning a BRM financially feasible long term.

The good news for your and other BRM owners out there is this: Even though this motor was only used for 1.5 years their is a ton of info and support out there for it. You'll never be in the blind. There are more durable cam options, better EGR cooler options, and problem with the BRM are USUALLY very predictable. Most people who know the BRM well at all can diagnose one over the phone without ever laying eyes on the thing with 80%+ accuracy. They're just so predictable, which really is a good thing.

To sum up, you've got a nice low mileage car. Use OEM parts only for maintenance. Use the proper oil (I'm switching from Rotella T6 to LiquiMoly 505.01 5W40), be in tune with the noises of your car and drive the heck out of it. I see you've already made a post in the Mk5 section about a weird idle or something to that effect. You're a couple of days into ownership and already posting about a concern with your BRM. Get used to that. LOL But overall, if you're like me, you'll enjoy your car more in some respects with that because you'll be more in tune with it than an Asian car or something. It'll be your baby and you can inform yourself the best way to take care of it.

Enjoy your TDI!

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll stop you right there. First off I'll say that your purchase is a plenty fine one. I can't say you shouldn't have bought the car. I have experience repairing most of the common issues on a family members BRM that seem to come up. With the experience and knowledge I've gained from that I would absolutely consider a BRM Jetta today, however it is a little small for my family.

It's a really cool little car. The Mk5 is really the last well built and quality Jetta. For the Mk6 in 2011 they started cheapening many things to get the price point down. Some things to make an example of this are going to hood props from the strut, and donut spare from full size. The Mk5 is really a great platform and the PD TDI is the very last of the non-DPF TDI's. BUT....

I think you may be a little over excited and don't have realistic expectations. I don't want to make your regret anything but I feel it's fair to be one of those that informs you of what you're dealing with here. You say parts are 'dirt cheap'? I don't really get that... I think overall VW parts are a good value (from the right source) compared to other brands out there. Tell me if you think these parts are cheap: Dual Mass Flywheel-~$350, Camshaft kit-$500-$1,400, Door Harness-$150, Turbocharger-~$1,000, EGR Cooler-$300, etc etc etc

Those parts listed are some of the most common problems that are a matter of WHEN not IF. You're at less than 50k miles right now so you may be doing pretty good. The cams start to show up around 90k and everything else can be sooner than that or later than that.

The labor for those parts is also very expensive. If you enjoy working on your own vehicles you could do much of those items yourself, however. That's really the only way to make owning a BRM financially feasible long term.

The good news for your and other BRM owners out there is this: Even though this motor was only used for 1.5 years their is a ton of info and support out there for it. You'll never be in the blind. There are more durable cam options, better EGR cooler options, and problem with the BRM are USUALLY very predictable. Most people who know the BRM well at all can diagnose one over the phone without ever laying eyes on the thing with 80%+ accuracy. They're just so predictable, which really is a good thing.

To sum up, you've got a nice low mileage car. Use OEM parts only for maintenance. Use the proper oil (I'm switching from Rotella T6 to LiquiMoly 505.01 5W40), be in tune with the noises of your car and drive the heck out of it. I see you've already made a post in the Mk5 section about a weird idle or something to that effect. You're a couple of days into ownership and already posting about a concern with your BRM. Get used to that. LOL But overall, if you're like me, you'll enjoy your car more in some respects with that because you'll be more in tune with it than an Asian car or something. It'll be your baby and you can inform yourself the best way to take care of it.

Enjoy your TDI!
Yeah, I noticed it when I purchased it- went ahead anyway. I bought the car expecting another $3,000 of parts so to get her perfect. If I can stay around $3,000 to get her perfect I'll be loving life.

As far as parts, I meant more of the cosmetics. The headlights are a bit cloudy with the clear coat warn- I could get them buffed up or get a used set from a junk yard with all the tabs and mint shape for like $120 a set- that's really what I meant by cheap.

When the car gets warmed up to 190degrees it happens, if the AC is on at 190 degrees- it doesn't happen.

Either way, I'm okay with putting some money into the car to get her perfect. I just wasn't going to be buying another $30,000-$40,000 car

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's what's great about buying older TDIs these days. Low fuel prices have driven values down, and there are more available. You can buy one and put some money into catch-up maintenance and still have a nice car at a reasonable cost. And there are lots of used parts out there, if you want to go that route.

I'm finishing up a refresh on a '99.5 Golf I bought from a co-worker when he gave up on its quirky failures and unreliability. I've dumped more money into it than is logical, including a complete repaint with doors off and glass out. But when I'm done I'll have a good looking, great running car that would cost less than a newer one. I wouldn't be able to get the money I have in it back out, but I don't care, because I have no intention of selling. And its total cost will probably be less than the first two years depreciation on a new VW.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
or get a used set from a junk yard with all the tabs and mint shape for like $120 a set-
In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." "Mint" means absolute, brand-new, unblemished condition. Your car with 50k miles is not in mint condition. A set of headlights from the junkyard is not in mint condition. Both of them may be in very good, even excellent, condition, but they aren't mint.

Congrats on the car, hope you enjoy it.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." "Mint" means absolute, brand-new, unblemished condition. Your car with 50k miles is not in mint condition. A set of headlights from the junkyard is not in mint condition. Both of them may be in very good, even excellent, condition, but they aren't mint.

"Mint" for a 10 year old car- do you work for the media? Lol over analyzing words.

I can't find a blemish on the interior, to me that's mint.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI

Also, by junkyard I meant eBay - lol not driving up to an actual junkyard. Point is there are parts available I can get used for a pretty good price.