www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 15th, 2014, 16:25   #241
mattfrayage
Veteran Member

traffic message channel
under nav options softbutton also called dynamic route
mattfrayage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 18:29   #242
herbert68
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfrayage View Post
traffic message channel
under nav options softbutton also called dynamic route
Ah, I see. Don't we love those acronyms! As far as I remember this option was always there for me.
Old January 15th, 2014, 18:38   #243
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert68 View Post
Ah, I see. Don't we love those acronyms! As far as I remember this option was always there for me.

Yep, already there...
Old January 15th, 2014, 23:39   #244
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiWolf View Post
You are welcome.

SSD upgrades have been a mixed bag, some successful, some not. Because it is still an IDE interface and not SATA, it's speed is still limited. The speed increase would be most noticeable during reading music from HDD, or pulling Map data, both are dependent on the HDD access speed heavily. Supposedly boot up and general use there is very little performance. I have a 128GB IDE SSD sitting on my shelf for just that reason, but haven't been willing to do it. One guy got it installed then the SSD had issues with the cold, so he removed it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'm not sure how you could note a diff with music, at least not when playing it from the HD. Enough speed to play, and all is well. Too little, and stutters and garbles result (which don't don't seem to happen on the RNS), and more available speed can't be used. We play .wav data from CD drives at 1x, and pretty much any hard drive made can outrun that without trying.

Map data, perhaps, at least if the head can read that fast.

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:43   #245
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Tim, It's not about the actual play but the browsing. Not sure how much music you play or have on your HDD, but I have a little over 10GB, that I have accumulated on it in MP3's at 128. As I put more on it, browsing to artist's folders that I have created has gotten slower as I have added more. The SSD would have an effect on that. Read the thread that Pdarke linked to. Read the last page or 2 of the thread, and you will see where that is the improvement they mentioned.
Old January 16th, 2014, 15:37   #246
tadawson
Veteran Member

Zero music on HDD, but a 32GB SD card . . .

And ironically, browsing should only read the id3 data from the header, so still not much need for transfer speed. What you liiely are feeling is the reduced seek time of the SSD.

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 18:36   #247
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Zero music on HDD, but a 32GB SD card . . .

And ironically, browsing should only read the id3 data from the header, so still not much need for transfer speed. What you liiely are feeling is the reduced seek time of the SSD.

- Tim
I don't have a SSD installed currently, I am merely relaying the info given by those that have changed it out and the changes they experienced. This discussion is pointless unless somebody truly breaks down the code on how the RNS-510 reads and indexes the Audio files on the HDD. I can tell you merely browsing gets slower as more files are added to the HDD, as I have experienced that myself. Continental would not have swapped the HDD for an SSD if it did not have some benefit, because I am sure it increased manufacturing cost. I am well aware of the advantages of an SSD vs classic platter based HDD, and where the advantages can be felt, and why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old January 19th, 2014, 14:48   #248
rudedog830

TDI(s): 2014 Passat

I just bought a 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Looks like I have Maps 7963 and Firmware 4369. Hardware version says H21 but I assume that doesn't mean that I have a H unit, right? How do I know which hardware that I have?

As far as updates that apply... Looks like maps v7 is an update, but is there a newer firmware than the one that I am on?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old January 19th, 2014, 17:36   #249
mattfrayage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog830 View Post
I just bought a 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Looks like I have Maps 7963 and Firmware 4369. Hardware version says H21 but I assume that doesn't mean that I have a H unit, right? How do I know which hardware that I have?

As far as updates that apply... Looks like maps v7 is an update, but is there a newer firmware than the one that I am on?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
means Hardware model 21
maps V7M aka 8050 is available from a certain member, and 5374 FW for 4369 only units will be available from the same comrade soon...
mattfrayage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:08   #250
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

I just looked and as of right now v7 for the RNS-510 is available for purchase. The SD card for the RNS-315 is still v5.
Old January 28th, 2014, 13:49   #251
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
I just looked and as of right now v7 for the RNS-510 is available for purchase. The SD card for the RNS-315 is still v5.

Welcome to the party. V7 has been available to purchase for almost a month. Why purchase it when you can download it?
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:10   #252
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiWolf View Post
Welcome to the party. V7 has been available to purchase for almost a month. Why purchase it when you can download it?
Oh I agree!! Thank YOU very much. I just thought I would throw it out that VW finallyhas a current version on their site for sale.
Old January 29th, 2014, 17:57   #253
eshawger

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

V7 worked great with IMGBURN at 4X on a Dell XPS 8500 using Verbatim DVD-R DL media from Walmart.com. Ran about 65 minutes with the car parked in the garage, and trickle charger holding the battery power up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
Oh I agree!! Thank YOU very much. I just thought I would throw it out that VW finallyhas a current version on their site for sale.
Old January 31st, 2014, 08:45   #254
DeadCatBounce

Thanks for your help LokiWolf. You've got mail. Cheers!
DeadCatBounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 13:23   #255
rustycat
Veteran Member

Thumbs up My progress and education on burning the V7 map update

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshawger View Post
V7 worked great with IMGBURN at 4X on a Dell XPS 8500 using Verbatim DVD-R DL media from Walmart.com. Ran about 65 minutes with the car parked in the garage, and trickle charger holding the battery power up.

I assume I'm not the lone member of the incompetent subset of computer users that doesn't have experience with burning DVDs. So, I thought I'd share my experience to date with others so that they may find it helpful and informative.
1st. The double layer recordable DVD is available in a 3 pack at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2nd. IMGBURN software to create the DVD (as recommended by Lokiwolf).
I did a search on problems/malware when downloading IMGBURN, and the results sort of spooked me off of doing if for a few months, but I gathered up my courage after reading some suggestions on what boxes to uncheck and check to keep the malware at bay. And, much to my salvation, IMGBURN has a tutorial video on Youtube that guides one through the downloading process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF3mFF3DQ9s
This video lead me by the key stroke through a successful download with no malware add-ons. Hurray!!!
The first DVD I burned on a POS Toshiba Laptop was burned at 1x. I found when verifying it that it had one major couldn't read sector towards the end. I then read that a successful effort was made by a member of the forum using the same Verbatim DVD burning at the 2.4X and so I gave that a try and found it worked flawlessly in burning all the data to the DVD when I verified it.

So, although I've yet to install the update, I feel pretty good about the new ground I've covered in my computer literacy this week.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote