www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 19th, 2012, 12:19   #1
jafische
Veteran Member

Default NMS versus B7

What the H is the difference between a B7 and a NMS?
Is one a German model?

I have a 2013 TDi SEL Prem Passat... is this a B7?

How can you tell the difference? I have read the B7 is an upgrade from the B6. But where is a table of B6=x and B7=y and NMS=z etc.
jafische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:26   #2
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

The B7 is the "Rest of World" model of the Passat; it is not sold in the US. They are produced in a couple plants I believe, and sold in most other countries.

The US model is the NMS, or "New Midsize Sedan" and is sold only in the US (and Canada?) and made in Chattanooga.
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:32   #3
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Essentially the are the same.

The B# refers to the Generation # of the B-Series chassis.

B4 is the 4th Generation of the passat that was built from 1990 - 1997.

B5 was built from 1998 - 2005. However, in 2001 the passat was given a facelift, so you may often see a B5 which refers to 1998 - 2001 and B5.5 refers to 2001.5 - 2005.

B6 was built from 2006 - 2011.

B7 started being built in 2102.

NMS is the codename for the B7 Passat when it was still in development stages. It stands for New Midsize Sedan and is a completely different design from previous model years.

Beware though, There is a US B7 (AKA NMS) and there is a European B7 Passat which is a facelifted B6 Passat. A lot of the parts are not interchangeable.

However, a lot of our US B7 parts ARE interchangeable with the Chinese B7 Passat.
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:44   #4
jafische
Veteran Member

So, does NMS=B7 where NMS is the US version Passat and the B7 is the Euro Passat.

aka, I have an NMS since I bought in Pensacola FL.
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:54   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Exactly.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 18:06   #6
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

NMS = made in Chattanooga, TN and sold in USA, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE; Chinese plant builds the Chinese NMS

Last edited by Blue_Hen_TDI; December 19th, 2012 at 18:09.
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:43   #7
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

What he said ^.

Just scroll to the bottom of this for side-by-side photos (credit to Chitty)

Last edited by MyAvocation; December 21st, 2012 at 11:50.
MyAvocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 14:16   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
NMS = made in Chattanooga, TN and sold in USA, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE; Chinese plant builds the Chinese NMS
There is a ton of not-entirely-accurate information in this thread... the above quoted info from Blue Hen is correct.

CCBB describes all of the differences between the two models very well on MTD: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f...trim-car-5142/

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 14:51   #9
WutGas?
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafische View Post
So, does NMS=B7 where NMS is the US version Passat and the B7 is the Euro Passat.

aka, I have an NMS since I bought in Pensacola FL.
No, NMS does not equal B7. They are not the same cars. Related yes, but very different.
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:50   #10
jafische
Veteran Member

I believe I have it this time.
I have an NMS. This is the US version of the Passat. The B7 is the Euro version of the Passat. They are both VW's answer to the evolution of the Passat. And since they are the same but different, they named these, not identical twins, different names.
Yea. Yes.
Merry Christmas.
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:34   #11
passsattdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
Essentially the are the same.

The B# refers to the Generation # of the B-Series chassis.

B4 is the 4th Generation of the passat that was built from 1990 - 1997.

B5 was built from 1998 - 2005. However, in 2001 the passat was given a facelift, so you may often see a B5 which refers to 1998 - 2001 and B5.5 refers to 2001.5 - 2005.

B6 was built from 2006 - 2011.

B7 started being built in 2102.

NMS is the codename for the B7 Passat when it was still in development stages. It stands for New Midsize Sedan and is a completely different design from previous model years.

Beware though, There is a US B7 (AKA NMS) and there is a European B7 Passat which is a facelifted B6 Passat. A lot of the parts are not interchangeable.

However, a lot of our US B7 parts ARE interchangeable with the Chinese B7 Passat.
The Tennasee plant produces as Bue Hen has quoted. These are not the same frames as the european version,,At the very least there are cosmetic differences, kind of similar to Chevrolet and Buick. Essentially similar, but not the same. They are identicle to the ones being built in China, except VW does not feel we should get the high line items, like projectors, leds and such. They want you to buy the Audi if you want that. That being said, I think this is a wonderful car. My B5.5 Passat TDI road about the same. Actually with winter studded tires the 05 was much louder than the 12. It is the handcraps that are the problem, as the studded winters I have now are not any noisier than the handcraps.
Calling the US built car a B7 is a misnomer. It is NOT a B7. NMS is it's true designation. It may actually be the next chassis. So if the German car is a B7, since it is several years old, we should perhaps be refering to this as the B8. It is certainly newer and certainly different. It is what I would like to believe. Make ours better than the "Older" model.

Last edited by passsattdi; December 25th, 2012 at 09:39.
passsattdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:46   #12
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Stop using B designations for platforms, the B5 was the last where they were valid, and then the platform was renamed to PL45. (Passenger car, Longitudinal engine, size class 4, 5th generation.)

There's a reason the Europeans use Typ designations, though.

The car commonly referred to as the "B7" (which actually doesn't exist as a separate platform) Passat is Typ 3C, same as the "B6" (actually PQ46, Q being short for a German word for transverse). There'll be sub-types of that, some of which will apply to earlier, some will apply to later models, as well as different body styles (for instance, sedan versus wagon).

The NMS is Typ 56, and is derived from the PQ46 platform (although with suspension modifications, among other things).

(Also, interestingly, the (PQ35-derivative) Jetta and Beetle, despite being different wheelbases, are both Typ 5C, although with different sub-types. Don't have ETKA open to verify, though.)

Most longitudinal Audis produced today are on the MLB component set (not a platform, but it has some platform-like characteristics), and most upcoming transverse VAG products are on the MQB component set. They'll still have their own Typ codes, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:46   #13
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Stop using B designations for platforms, the B5 was the last where they were valid, and then the platform was renamed to PL45. (Passenger car, Longitudinal engine, size class 4, 5th generation.)

There's a reason the Europeans use Typ designations, though.

The car commonly referred to as the "B7" (which actually doesn't exist as a separate platform) Passat is Typ 3C, same as the "B6" (actually PQ46, Q being short for a German word for transverse). There'll be sub-types of that, some of which will apply to earlier, some will apply to later models, as well as different body styles (for instance, sedan versus wagon).

The NMS is Typ 56, and is derived from the PQ46 platform (although with suspension modifications, among other things).

(Also, interestingly, the (PQ35-derivative) Jetta and Beetle, despite being different wheelbases, are both Typ 5C, although with different sub-types. Don't have ETKA open to verify, though.)

Most longitudinal Audis produced today are on the MLB component set (not a platform, but it has some platform-like characteristics), and most upcoming transverse VAG products are on the MQB component set. They'll still have their own Typ codes, though. And, "A7 Golf" is going to be so wrong it's not funny. (For that matter, A6 Golf already is wrong, given that the Mk6 Golf (Typ 5K, for what it's worth) is still PQ35, just like the Typ 1K Mk5 Golf.)

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:31   #14
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Thanks toof. I hoped you would see this thread and straighten us out.
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:39   #15
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

In summary, the valid names for the Passat we get here:

Preferred: Passat Typ 56 (or just Passat 56, or Typ 56)
Alternate, shorter: NMS (short for New Midsize Sedan, the public name for the project, and it does just refer to this car)
I will stab you in the face (just to be safe, this is hyperbole, no faces will actually be stabbed in any case) if you actually use this, due to it being just as ambiguous as the A designations for Golf platforms, but it is valid: VW411 (the project code for the Typ 56, not to be confused with Typ 411, which is the aircooled car that (after the Typ 412 refresh - and, that also shows how sub-types work, they're both Typ 41 (actually, Typ 4 back then, but it'd be 41 if it existed in the watercooled era), with 411 being the original, and 412 being the refresh) preceded the original Typ 32 Passat.)

And, just to make it clear...

I will stab you in the face REPEATEDLY if you actually use this to describe anything other than a previous-generation Audi A4, and I might even then (it's not valid there, either): B7

Quote:

Last edited by bhtooefr; December 25th, 2012 at 11:43.