www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old September 18th, 2012, 20:26   #1
freeman

Default Chassis Ground points 2013 Passat B7/NMS ?

I installed a Curt trailer harness for a 2013 Passat SLE (basically just like the 2012 Passat in the trailer hitch thread) but noted no 12v showing up from the power wire to the module ground screw I installed. When I ran a wire from the fuse box ground and connected to that, then the power wire showed 12v across the circuit. I then checked the + terminal on the battery to all sorts of areas in the engine compartement but never showed a completed circuit except to the - terminal and the fuse box ground. All the other cars I have owned would show a completed circuit going to the front strut, screws on frame, etc. Car off or running made no difference. What am I missing?
freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 21:38   #2
freeman

Default Problem solved

As I was typing this, I went over everything in my mind. I went out and rechecked and found that the power wire was going to the neg terminal not the positive. The person helping me set up when I pulled the wire under the car hooked it to the RED wire which I later assumed was the positive as well. It turns out that VW uses a red wire to the neg terminal and black to the positive. Works fine now.
freeman is offline   Reply With Quote