VW Emissions fix on Passat with Malone CR190 Turbo upgrade Stage 3 tune

NJ_VWPassat

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
I had German Diesel Motorwerks out in PA install a CR190 Turbo upgrade and Malone Stage 3 tune on my 2013 Passat.

I opted for the emissions fix and settlement amount. Volkswagen owes me approx. $8000.

They said I have to bring the car in and get the emissions fix done in order to get my money.

I really don't want them messing with my ECU or tune. I was told to buy a spare ECU on Ebay and then take the car in and have them flash it. Then swap out the ECU.

What's the best way to get the emissions fix done? I just want my $8000 from Volkswagen.

Do you know if I get the full settlement amount after the emissions fix? Or do they just pay a partial amount? I'm hearing they only have a partial fix that is done via ECU software change.... and people are only getting part of their total settlement amount, but are still waiting on a hardware fix to the emissions equipment.

FYI- I removed the DPF and other stuff on the Turbo upgrade.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Pretty unlikely they'll not notice the delete. Might be worth a shot though.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
NJ VWPassat: You've got quite a scheme going. Hindsight on this is too easy: should have waited for the emissions fix before doing all your illegal deletes.
I'm certain the dealer is required to follow the law, and they're probably a lot more savvy, after the whole diesel emissions debacle.
To quite Hans Solo, "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
If the manual trans fix comes through I'm in the same boat. I'm sure they'll start the car after the tune and if any of the sensors are unplugged it will throw a check engine light immediately. I might play with mine with the stock tune and my flashzilla if a fix becomes available for mine and see if I can get it to not throw a light immediately. Just long enough for them to pull it outside. I would probably throw the top dpf on that bolts to the turbo for looks also

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
2013 is single stage, software only, so should be a one time payout. Only the 2015's have component replace/refresh in the future as a part of the plan.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Have German Diesel Motorwerks out in PA toss on the orginal equipment, tune back to stock, take it in get the fix get your money, head back to Motorwerks put it back to awesome.

Motorwerks will be able to make a few boat payments or two with the amount of time and effort this will take, but you should still come out a head.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, putting it back to stock is the best way to guarantee success. I've done even more mods (cp3) to mine, and the hassle of putting it back to stock just isn't worthwhile for me. So I'll just make do with the $1350 in consolation prizes.

NJ_VWPassat

TDI
You guys are hilarious. Yeah I'm going to drive 3 hrs out and 3 hrs back from NJ to the middle of PA, then pay German Diesel Motorwerks to put it back to stock..... take it to the dealer in NJ for the fix... then do the 6 hr round trip drive again, and then pay them another few grand to re-tune. Makes a lot of sense :confused:

OK back to reality. Has anyone taken their Passat in for the "fix" with a DPF delete, Malone tune, and/or turbo upgrade? I don't think there is any rule that you can't get the fix on a modified car. I know that a bunch of dash lights will come on when they flash the ECU back to stock with a DPF delete and turbo upgrade. But so be it.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Well, even if you spend 16 hours back and forth to get un- and then re- modded you'll still make $8000 / 16 hours = $500/hr.

Sign me up!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd assume that when you decided to delete the emissions system you forfeited the fix compensation. You could give it a shot, but I doubt you'll be successful.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I know that a bunch of dash lights will come on when they flash the ECU back to stock with a DPF delete and turbo upgrade. But so be it.
I seriously suspect that this fact will prevent them from releasing the car back to you and/or paying you any money. The "payment" is contingent on successfully completing the required modification(s). If your dash lights up like a Christmas tree with a check engine and other lights, your car has not been successfully "fixed" and I doubt that you will get anything from VW. You might not even get your car back. If you really want to keep your car, ignore the fix and be happy with the $1350 as stated above. If they reflash your ECU back to stock with no emissions system - I hope you like "limp mode". It will probably be more than just a couple of lights on your dash.

Have Fun!

Don

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
Put the parts back on for dealer trip. Id do it yourself. I would want till both fixes are avail and do both at same time next year. Then delete and reload your old tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJ_VWPassat

TDI
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement? I bought my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium brand new from Volkswagen in 2013. Paid 36K. Why shouldn't I be entitled just like everyone else? Penalize anyone who tuned their car... I thought that was what this site was all about.

I guess I'll wait to see if anyone on this forum has received the emissions fix payout with a modded car..... (in the meantime I will NOT be ripping off the new CR190 turbos or putting the DPF and ad blu back on, LOL)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement?
Correct! The settlement is about meeting (or cheating on) emissions standards - not about compensating owners. If the car cannot meet the required emissions standards after the "fix", there is no settlement. The whole idea of the settlement is to punish VW for cheating on emissions. Now you expect VW to pay you for also cheating on emissions. Good luck on that one.

Have Fun!

Don

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Worst case scenario: The dealership notifies the authorities of your illegal emissions modifications, and you get slapped with a massive fine. Plus no fix money. More likely they will insist on returning the car to stock(they'll want a brand new dpf, not your old one), eating up a sizeable chunk of the money.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement? I bought my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium brand new from Volkswagen in 2013. Paid 36K. Why shouldn't I be entitled just like everyone else? Penalize anyone who tuned their car... I thought that was what this site was all about.

I guess I'll wait to see if anyone on this forum has received the emissions fix payout with a modded car..... (in the meantime I will NOT be ripping off the new CR190 turbos or putting the DPF and ad blu back on, LOL)
"-what this site was all about?" You mean you thought this site was about removing emissions equipment from your car? Yes, there are people who contribute to this site who have done that. No, AFAIK TDI Club does not now and has never endorsed such activity. I fail to see how you could have possibly concluded that you could collect settlement money for a "tuned" car. You want to drive it the way it is, go for it. Just abandon any hope you're getting a cent from VW.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Sometimes I dream about having my cake and eating it too, but then I realize it's in my belly and then a day later I don't have it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Worst case scenario: The dealership notifies the authorities of your illegal emissions modifications, and you get slapped with a massive fine. Plus no fix money.
And they could have the EPA go after the shop that did the install. I think this is a stretch, but it has happened. That's what I'd worry about.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.

You must be joking..

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nahh he's from Jersey, you would't understand.

Isn't tampering with federal mandated emissions equipment a 10K fine if the fed catch you? I bet VW would love to see others suffer the same punishment they are receiving.

Granted the Feds never catch anyone and the state regulators could care less.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
OK back to reality. Has anyone taken their Passat in for the "fix" with a DPF delete, Malone tune, and/or turbo upgrade? I don't think there is any rule that you can't get the fix on a modified car. I know that a bunch of dash lights will come on when they flash the ECU back to stock with a DPF delete and turbo upgrade. But so be it.
You'll be the first. Let us know how it goes.

I expect them to present you with a quote to bring your car back into mechanically stock condition before they'll apply the software fix. Without the required hardware, the software fix will result in numerous DTCs and smoke (unburned fuel) out of the exhaust in various operating conditions (initial warm-up, DPF regeneration, etc.).

Last edited:

NJ_VWPassat

TDI
The Stage 3 Malone tune with the upgraded CR190 turbos, DPF delete, high flow cats, etc, is awesome. I don't regret it one bit. It's like driving a whole different car.

Hindsight is 20/20. I certainly didn't know about the whole settlement thing or how it would be when I did the tune 1 1/2 years ago. In the meantime I'm sure more info will surface on the forum if anyone with a tuned car gets the money back for the emissions fix....

If I don't get the money then so be it. I love the car after the mods. Cheers to all the "cheaters" out there who tuned their car and love driving it :):):)

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
"The Fix" is a software flash, but that is only Stage 1 with a 66% payout. The final 34% come with a hardware fix, including installing things you've already removed. If you have a Flashzilla, there should not be an issue with refreshing your car after the software fix.

To my knowledge, I am 95% confident, Malone clearly states the Stage 3 is for "Off Road use only." That said, it is your car. You SHOULD have every right to modify YOUR care the way YOU want as you accept any punishment from not adhering to the law.

If it were me, I would wait until the stage 2 was ready and, in the meantime, visit some local dealerships for oil changes and such, build relationships, and find one that is not going to call you out and your mods and just do what they are paid to do. The dealership IS NOT the EPA but VWoA might have some stipulations many of us are not aware of because we've not gone as far as you have.

Please keep us posted.

Drive safe.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
To my knowledge, I am 95% confident, Malone clearly states the Stage 3 is for "Off Road use only." That said, it is your car. You SHOULD have every right to modify YOUR care the way YOU want as you accept any punishment from not adhering to the law.
And you do have that right. What you do *NOT* have is the right to drive it on a public roadway in that condition . . . hence the (correct) term: "Off road only"!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"The Fix" is a software flash, but that is only Stage 1 with a 66% payout. The final 34% come with a hardware fix, including installing things you've already removed.
I thought that was the payment scheme for the '15s where as the 12-14 were one lump sum check as there was no phase 2 for the gen 2 cars.

Eitherway, best of luck to the OP and I can only imagine how great of a ride it is.

I actually have a flashzilla with stage 2 for the '15 Passat but am reluctant installing it and prob will until we have phase 2 complete on it just because of any issues with the dealer may pop up, yeah i know there is such a small chance if i brought it back to stock before phase 2 but still.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Worst case scenario: The dealership notifies the authorities of your illegal emissions modifications, and you get slapped with a massive fine. Plus no fix money. More likely they will insist on returning the car to stock(they'll want a brand new dpf, not your old one), eating up a sizeable chunk of the money.
Additionally I believe the insurance companies frown on such power modifications as well. They find out, either look for another insurer or expect the premium to go sky high !
If you keep your nose clean it would be highly unlikely they find out. But as turbobrick240 implies, this could go a long way through the various systems.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Just because I modded my car I shouldn't be entitled to the VW settlement?
:eek: SERIOUSLY? You've modified your (tampered with) federally required emissions equipment (essentially what VW did)......and you STILL want to be compensated?

No you won't beat this.........:D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The Stage 3 Malone tune with the upgraded CR190 turbos, DPF delete, high flow cats, etc, is awesome. I don't regret it one bit. It's like driving a whole different car.

Hindsight is 20/20. I certainly didn't know about the whole settlement thing or how it would be when I did the tune 1 1/2 years ago. In the meantime I'm sure more info will surface on the forum if anyone with a tuned car gets the money back for the emissions fix....

If I don't get the money then so be it. I love the car after the mods. Cheers to all the "cheaters" out there who tuned their car and love driving it :):):)
Don't hold your breath. While some here feel the dealership "isn't the EPA", they ARE responsible for complying with federally mandated rules.

I'll bet VAG, being fully aware of after-market mods, is analyzing every car that comes in, making certain of compliance. That's WHY the cars are coming back!!! There will undoubtedly be exceptions, but you won't be reading about them here.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't think there is any rule that you can't get the fix on a modified car.
Yes, there is. When the car leaves the VW dealership after the emissions fix, it is to be in fully emissions compliant condition. VW is responsible for the "fix" part of it. If additional parts or labour are required in order for the vehicle to be emissions compliant (e.g. due to modifications), the owner is responsible for paying for that. It's in the documentation that VW sent out to people eligible for the fix.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.