www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 8th, 2020, 19:38   #1
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default No longer a pipe dream (TDI 944 swap starts now)

I know I have been on and on about my swap and build. Today marks the start of the long process for me to swap my AHU into a 1984 Porsche 944 with an aggressive 400HP goal bla bla bla; Iíll get to all that later on. I'll end up with a build blog, YouTube updates (they will be doggy and camera phone unedited because I ain't got time) and so forth.
I started this thread to let you all in on this moment with me. It's been a year in the making. I just finished restoring a $400 screw 2 post lift. It is a 3 phase and was bound up. Now it works. I will also have a How I did it on that as well, I have many pictures.
With my kid and his issues and getting back on our feet financially, itís been very slow but now, I have the weekends and some time here and there.
This isn't a build thread, just a share in my victory that I just got the car up on a lift that I rebuilt blind (no how to or how it works). I will have the engine out this next weekend. I also have a Van Iím pulling the engine from and once thatís done the 944 goes into the shop. My goal is end of the month to have the 944 in there with the Jetta GONE. SAY GOODBYE to the jetta.
if you guys want anything let me know, in 2 weeks that car is going to the crusher. i will have the full suspension, brakes, known good items but most of the interior, and the shell with the power doors and what not is going AWAY.
Aalso 1 question. it's been a while, i did some searching, and i assume that i can just unbolt the sub assembly, and front radiator lower bar and the parts that connect the engine and just lift the car off the entire engine and trans and suspension all at once right?
also i guess you know now i'm not going with cinder blocks lol
here are some pictures, horor and fun of what i found under there.

REMEMBER THiS 3" downpipe i made for the gt2052? yea this is why you don't heat wrap
pipe other than stainless. i knew it was bad but NOT THIS BAD lolololol. its been something like this since those autocross videos a few years back. HA. back in this thread,viens! FORGET THAT starting back at post #11. ALL THAT WORK, stupid heat wrap. thing is that all the rest of the pipe is 100% fine and the heat paint still doing its job. !!! RAGE> oh well not like i am going to use it on the 944!

Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2020, 21:36   #2
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

nice. good job. finally starting on it. lol.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2020, 06:09   #3
jmodge
Veteran Member

Nice to hear the family is doing well enough to afford you to put some resources towards this project. I hope your good fortune continues
Old March 9th, 2020, 07:13   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
Nice to hear the family is doing well enough to afford you to put some resources towards this project. I hope your good fortune continues
Thanks. Now that health issues have settled into a habitual routine with my son I can now put in 10 hour shifts at work and I'm almost paid out of depth. I'm not out of the woods yet but I can see the clearing. The Jetta and the van costs me $ to keep in tags and insurance due to where I live. Its cheep enough though but once they are gone, that's 2 more $ things I dont have to pay for.
I still have more setup in my new shop so it's a project one after the next to get here.
Took me 2 years to find a lift for so cheep.
I cant believe how bad the rust is under the mk3 let alone how gone the downpipe is!

Last edited by Mongler98; March 9th, 2020 at 07:17.
Old March 14th, 2020, 20:38   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Got a lot of progress done today. Made a video too. i have a little bit of work to do to it and to upload it but i'll post a link when it's ready.
Tomorrow i "should" have the rest of it stripped and ready to haul away.

Old March 22nd, 2020, 04:57   #6
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Well. Today is the day. It's been completely stripped of all its useable parts. Nothing left but to drain the tank and send it to the scrapper.
also a video update. it's just a 101 intro!
VW TDI engine swap into a 1984 Porsche 944 Intro Video

Last edited by Mongler98; March 22nd, 2020 at 05:13.
Old March 25th, 2020, 19:05   #7
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

I'm excited to follow this Mongler!!!
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 06:47   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Have you already acquired the Porsche? I'd like to see that up on the lift. Always liked the 944's, even if they get ragged on by the Porsche purists.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 07:07   #9
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Have you already acquired the Porsche? I'd like to see that up on the lift. Always liked the 944's, even if they get ragged on by the Porsche purists.
If you watched my mk3 memorial video, there is a teaser of the 944 sitting in front with the Jetta on the trailer for scrapping, right at the fist part of the video.
I'll have that 944 on the lift and an in depth video of it and its condition and my plan of attack in the next few weeks. I have to pull my SBC350 out of my van first and scrap the van. Then the o44 goes on the lift for probably the rest of the year. I have a lot of home repairs to do this summer so once the 944 is on the lift it's going to take a brake from major work until I've replaced my deck, windows, door and bathroom floor of my home. So..... I'll still get work done slowly on it here and there but it's probably this fall that I'll go full steam into it.
The 944 is rust free, a few dents but otherwise aside form no engine, is complete and in good shape for what I got it for.
Old Yesterday, 08:42   #10
tims944

TDI(s): 2006 mk5 tdi
Default good luck

Hey man so i completed my tdi swap in my 89 944 last november. i wish you good luck. I was the first one i could conclude to actually get it working and do it, so many people talked about it, and such, but no one ever did anything about it.

so Good luck, be prepared for lots of creative thinking.
tims944 is offline   Reply With Quote