Engine code P0401

cdscar

TDI
03 Jetta 1.9TDI, 99 NB 1.9TDI
Hey guys I just bought an 03 Jetta TDI with 102K miles on her and the MIL is on. My scangauge shows the code P0401. What is this code for? Thanks

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Clear it and see if it comes back.

It may be that your MAF is reading too low.

Try my MAF xGauge and see if your MAF is reading correctly at idle and at 3000RPM using your scangauge see link below. If you are not sure post the numbers from the xGauge MAF at idle and when accelerating...

Has the car had the EGR adapation using VAG-COM? Do you know if your EGR valve is working, or if it has been blocked off?

cdscar

TDI
03 Jetta 1.9TDI, 99 NB 1.9TDI
Just got the car. don't know if it works or not. checking things out as I go. will chck the numbers and post to see of they look correct. Thanks for the help.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
2004STARWARSTDI said:
Those are the VAG codes, but if you only have an OBDII scanner that will not help unfortunately...

I can't find a list of codes right now but I tend to just search on P0401 in google and you get an answer pretty quick, but P0401 on the ALH TDI is actually counterintuitive:

On the ALH TDI P0401 mean EGR Insufficient flow. This does not mean that there is insufficient flow thru the EGR valve! It actually means that the "EGR system has detected insufficient flow at the only sensor it has to measure flow which is the MAF sensor." Flow may be low at the MAF sensor for two reasons: 1) EGR valve may be stuck open filling the intake with exhaust gas and causing LESS fresh air to go past the MAF sensor. 2) the MAF sensor is reading lower than expected.

nocebl

TDI
2004 GOLF TDI
If your car loosing coolant fluid as well then you have leaky EGR cooler which will set 0401 code. It happend to me couple of weeks ago and after replacing EGR cooler problem was fixed.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
PounDDer said:
I had the same problem on a cavalier once. It was a bad fuel cap. You can try that first.
The engine management system on these TDI's are much more basic than the gas cars. For the most part unchanged from 1996 through 2003 as far as EMS.
They have no problems with gas cap as this is not monitored. I have the pleasure to have to fix all VW models with all engines. How I wish the that the gas cars were simple as the diesel. If you believe me check the list if fauilts codes that are possible for the gas and compare it to the diesel.

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
The reason P0401 is not trivial to understand in this case is because it is trying to tell you negitive logic.

First and foremost one must understand that more flow thru the EGR system means LESS flow thru the MAF.

Since there is no sensor for "flow" on the EGR system, the onbaord computer trys to use inverse-logic to calculate how much gas is flowing thru the EGR system by making the assumption that the MAF will measure LESS flow when the EGR valve is open.

Coantrary to what an above appender says... this DOES MEAN that the flow thru the EGR (as calculated) is lower than expected. We also know this means that the flow thru the MAF is MORE than expected when the EGR valve is open.

Personally, since there are other diagnostics which are run to acertain the accuracy of the MAF (and they are not flagging any problems) ... I would start by assuming that the MAF is *NOT* the problem and look for somthing plugging the EGR system.

I hope this description helps you understand what is being measured and why it is not straignt-forward to understand what is going on here.

Last edited:

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
Not P0442

PounDDer said:
I had the same problem on a cavalier once. It was a bad fuel cap. You can try that first.

No No No :rolleyes: ... you are thinking of P0442 which is caused when the Evaperative Emmissions (EVAP) test fails on a gasoline-powerd vehicle. The EVAP test uses an air pump to build-up a small pressure in the airspace above the gasoline in the tank. Then, it is sealed off and a timer-sequence is initiated to determine how long this pressure is maintained.

A P0442 is flagged when the pressure cannot be built up at all. (A loose gascap is the most common cause of P0442)

A P0455 is flagged if the second part of the test fails (cannot maintiain the pressure.)

In fact, there are an array of P044x codes which are all related to the EVAP system.

Fixing cars is a peice of cake when one understands and KNOWS how the systems work.

Why do gasoline vehicles have an EVAP system?
1) To reduce gasolene fumes from getting into the atmosphere
2) To prevent EXPLOSIONS in underground parking decks. (Imagane if all the cars in an underground parking deck were leaking gasoline fumes into the air.... any spark would cause an explosion)

BTW: I do not beleive that TDI even *HAS* an EVAP system... so all of the above is just for folks who wish to have their knowledge enrichend.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
" I would start by assuming that the MAF is *NOT* the problem and look for somthing plugging the EGR system."

The intake manifold AND the EGR cooler tubes both can clog quite nicely. I would start here.

And the EGR valve diaphragm can tear (this happened on my mother's '00 Jetta TDI, causing a CEL). Torn or disconnected vacuum line to the EGR valve can cause low/no EGR flow as well, as can lack of vacuum.

--Nate

jjpsuperdad

TDI
4 Jetta's 3 2000 1 2003
:mad:P0401 code fault we found this with our tdi
Our 2003 TDI jetta had the EGR cooler clogged and WE mean Clogged ! it is so bad we can't even clean it with out damaging it which is what happen.

SO IF YOU HAVE P0401 IT VERY WELL COULD BE A CLOGGED EGR COOLER!!!

lodraghispeed

TDI
2010 JETTA TDI
P0401

This code has repeatedly appeared, along with a check engine light, since I've owned this vehicle. Now, after the recent scandal, it majically appeared again. Took it into the dealership, and can you believe, these crooks are trying to dance their way out of it and forcing me to pay for a job that was botched from day one.

No wonder they're gonna get sued. Their service centers probably recruit from prisons.