First Start After Rebuild

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
My 2006 New Beetle BEW...

Pulling most of the front of the car apart was not fun but I have to admit, I am getting a tad excited at the prospect of starting this thing up after almost a year.

What is the best way to purge the fuel system for a restart? How quick should it start if I get it right?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Cycle the key switch on for a few seconds. Repeat a few times. Whenever I start an engine that hasn't run for awhile or has been rebuilt, I put a gauge in it to check oil pressure. Unplug the connector on the head so it doesn't start and crank in 20 second bursts (waiting a minute between each) until you get oil pressure. Connect wires and start.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hook up a oil pressure gauge is a must.Good luck

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
What concerns me, among other oil related issues is the long path for the oil to travel to the turbo. I'm going to do what I can today but won't be able to try it till next weekend. I'm gonna do some assembly, fill the fluids, connect the battery and see what lights up.

Have a great week all. My wife and I are going to Disney World. Taking the Avalanche, I would have loved taking the Beetle but.. laziness and procrastination won out. :) A jet would be better but for $600.00 ?? I'll drive.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
What concerns me, among other oil related issues is the long path for the oil to travel to the turbo. I'm going to do what I can today but won't be able to try it till next weekend. I'm gonna do some assembly, fill the fluids, connect the battery and see what lights up.

Have a great week all. My wife and I are going to Disney World. Taking the Avalanche, I would have loved taking the Beetle but.. laziness and procrastination won out. :) A jet would be better but for $600.00 ?? I'll drive.
Disconnect the fuel shut off soleniod and crank it over a few seconds. Oil pressure builds very quickly, it'll prime right up. Reconnect the soleniod and fire it up.
I forgot to plug in the big connector on the IP when I did the engine install. That made for some anxious moments/hours trying to figure out what was wrong.:eek:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Disconnect the fuel shut off soleniod and crank it over a few seconds. Oil pressure builds very quickly, it'll prime right up. Reconnect the soleniod and fire it up.
I forgot to plug in the big connector on the IP when I did the engine install. That made for some anxious moments/hours trying to figure out what was wrong.:eek:
Pressure SHOULD come right up, but I had an engine that sat for awhile and when I went to start it, it just would not prime. I eventually pulled the pump and packed it full of vaseline.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
As I connected the hoses and filled it with coolant... connected the wires....installed the air filter...and battery. I filled it with the break in oil...you know... I just had ta !! Turn her over baby. I had my lovely assistant get in and give her a few spins and....Yes, after a few times of turning the engine over....it tried to start. So... we quit right there.

That was nice to hear. The horn blows too. I really wanted to run around yelling IT'S ALIVE !! But that will be for another time. :) Gonna be a week or so before I get back on it.

Take Care all and have a great week !!

Last edited:

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
Going in tomorrow. The plan is to get it running, do some system checks to make sure everything is working as it should. I'm gonna check suspension parts to see if anything needs replacing, do a power steering flush, and just stare at it a while.

Gonna be interesing putting the front cap on as I got a few parts I don't know exactly where the go. LOL

Oh yea, I need to clean out the cooler by the right front fender.

Gonna listen to some music while I work unless it's raining so hard I can't hear it. Take it slow and enjoy fitting the last few pieces. Then I'll be waiting on my Malone tune. Hopefully everything doesn't mind sitting lifeless for 11 months.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
On the PD, just disconnect the injector harness to the head, crank for 30 seconds. This will pre-lube the motor, turbo and all parts in the engine.

This also purges any air in the fuel system and gets the fuel/vacuum pump filled and lubricated.

Re-connect, start engine and clear codes when running.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been workin like a sissy today. Just piddling with stuff. I flushed the power steering which wasn't much after pulling the engine but it's clean. :) I cleaned the air cooler, connected the turbo lines and couldn't see a single thing preventing me other than hooking up the Battery so.....

IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!

IT'S ALIVE !!!!

PUTT...PUTT....PUTT... PUTT...

Now to figure out what to do next. Something about running at idle for so many minutes... ?? LOL I'm gonna put the bumper and fenders on and worry about breaking in the new cam later.

I'm so excited, I think I just spotted. :p

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Drive it!

Replicate the original break in cycle at the factory.

2 minute idle

Then take it for a spirited drive keeping rpms in the 1500 range for a minute or two, 2000 rpm for a minute or two, 2500 rpm for a minute or two, then a few full throttle runs to load it up shifting at 4000 rpm.

Load it up, don't just rev it.

Get about 40 miles on it and change the oil to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel truck 5w40 along with the filter.

Next change at 10K.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'm just gonna get some mood music on the radio and have sex with the old lady in the back seat. Gotta show dat car who's boss. Schwing !!! :) Maybe while I got it revved up to 2K.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
I am changing oil brands (from VW spec.) and going with Schaeffer's 9000 5-40. I don't have any less faith in the VW oil, but if there is a chance at this oil is better... :) Just bought (6) 1 gallon containers from Franko6 and a few filters. I'll be good to go for a while.

All I have to do is mount the body work and hood, fender skirts, lights. Get a new stereo, fix the head liner. Wash it, wax it, and then. We're good. ;)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Follow DBW's advice on how do run it in. Don't run it unloaded any more than necessary. Get some load on it to get the rings bedded in.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Sorry to be disagree, but the big concern we have with the PD's is break-in on the cam as FIRST priority. After the cam is broken in for 1/2 hr, change oil. This is not my idea, but a resounding drum-beat of about every cam designer and builder out there. Just Google 'cam break-in' and start reading. Quite simply, if this procedure is good for an ordinary cam, it is mandatory for a finicky and problematic cam like the PD.

For example, when breaking in a big motor, the initial break-in is with only the outer springs of a dual spring setup, so the forces are reduced. We don't think that the dual springs for the PD's are anywhere close to the big blocks we've worked with in the past, so don't recommend removing the inner springs. However, the initial 1/2 hr of cam/ follower break-in is the life of the cam. Do it.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to be disagree, but the big concern we have with the PD's is break-in on the cam as FIRST priority.
It seems to be standard practice to run a new cam in as you stated. Get some RPMs and run it in awhile. No idling. That's always scary for me but I'm a wuss. ;)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Idling during new PD break-in?

It seems to be standard practice to run a new cam in as you stated. Get some RPMs and run it in awhile. No idling. That's always scary for me but I'm a wuss. ;)
Would 'no unnecessary idling' be what you meant perhaps?

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been miffed at this car for awhile. I wasn't even gonna wash it till it proved itself (it stayed in my shop for 11 months and it was quite dusty :) ) As it came together, closer and closer, and when it started and sounded sooo good, and I drove it, and watched everything closely, I remembered all the things I liked about this car. I washed it, my wife cleaned the inside, I filled it up, new wiper blades, every cotton pickin thing worked just like it did the day it ate a lifter. All that was nice. One of the really nice things is that I've gone 440 miles and I still have just under a 1/2 tank of fuel. I'm fallin in love with the car again. LOL :D

I ordered my Flashzilla from Malone and will get a tune for the New cam when the stuff arrives. Man is this thing fun to drive....

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Now you know your car inside and out:) Once again it's part of your daily grind.

Tom

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
Now you know your car inside and out:) Once again it's part of your daily grind.

Tom
I do need a skid plate though. Ijust hit a coyote with another vehicle, Ford Ranger and it took out my trans cooler and left a half-mile long slick of transmission fliud. Glad I wasn't in the bug at the time. That would have been my first day driving it to work. It woulda been disheartening to say the least. :eek:

Sometimes knowing the car inside and out can have the opposite effect. It's better to lack a little intimacy. ;)

Take Care !!