Iveco 2.5l mechanical to ALH?

Halfbrit

TDI
03 jetta-sold, 2000 jetta tdi
I just bought an Iveco 2.5l mechanical pump. It hasn't been delivered yet. It's a bosch VE R 657 pump. I was wondering if anyone has used this pump on an ALH? If so what mods might I need to do to make it work best?
I believe it has a 12m head. It has a gear instead of a pulley. I want to improve this ALH power while retaining most of the reliability in a somewhat affordable manner.
So I am wondering... Best bang for the buck turbo and nozzle upgrades?
FYI. this will likely be going in a 2003 dakota quad cab.

Halfbrit

TDI
Update

I just bought a 2000 TDI jetta as the donor vehicle. It has a code for injector 3 lift sensor bad has low power and raw fuel smell and burns the eyes coming out the exhaust. I pick it up tomorrow. Let the work begin!

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
That looks exactly like the one I just sold for its 12mm head. The gear comes off but the shaft is too short to fit the AHU/1Z setup which I think is what you need to use (because you can't take the hub off the ALH pump afaik). I think it could be swapped for a longer one from a stock 10mm pump though. I had a spare shaft to try but never got round to it.

Halfbrit

TDI
this one came from london england via Ebay.
So, I will likely need to take the shaft out of my stock pump? Or would a shim between the pulley and mounting plate work? I'll see when it gets here.

Halfbrit

TDI
I ordered a new #3 injector for now. I am planning on replacing the nozzles with .205 ones. Is there any need to replace 1,2,4 injectors or just the nozzles?
Any recommendations on a cost effective turbo?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you really can't use that pump without a custom hub... and simply swapping in a longer shaft will not work, leaves too little support ... there may be an off the shelf vw non adjustable sprocket you can use but using an AHU sprocket or an ALH hub/sprocket won't work

Halfbrit

TDI
Ok, I got the pump today. I'm thinking that a custom spacer. Maybe even mill the spacer then weld it on to an ALH hub. Jimbote you were saying there may not be enough support? Is the bearing smaller in the shorter nose pumps?
Otherwise is there any reason I couldn't take the top half of the mechanical VE and mate it with the bottom of the ALH VE?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ok, I got the pump today. I'm thinking that a custom spacer. Maybe even mill the spacer then weld it on to an ALH hub. Jimbote you were saying there may not be enough support? Is the bearing smaller in the shorter nose pumps?
Otherwise is there any reason I couldn't take the top half of the mechanical VE and mate it with the bottom of the ALH VE?
the powdered ALH hub won't weld well, and you can't swap the mech pump top to the ALH body because the ALH pump case has no provision for a governor or associated porting....personally i would just get a rover pump and be done with it ... pm me if you want contact info for a guy in the UK who can ship you a rover pump for a very good price

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Pull the 12mm head and put it on the ALH pump then? If you've got a Jetta donor why not keep all the electronics?