Fuel economy Vs. Cam timing

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Does anyone have any insight on the effects of advancing Cam Timing to fuel economy relationship.

I have started some individual testing, but could use some engineering explanation/opinions to make sure I am moving in the right direction..

I understand that advancing a cam on a gasser will give better throttle response and more lower end torque-earlier, as well as giving better fuel economy. Is it the same for a diesel to a certain extent, say 1-2 degrees?

Thanks..

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Interesting thread in the wake of the Mk5 shudder fix.
My cam timing was a couple degrees retarded from spec and I've since advanced 1.5 degrees past spec (it's an easy but touchy adjustment if you have a VAG-com on a mk5).
I'll be watching this one closely. From my observations my engine seems to be much more willing to rev than before.

Mach1

TDI
Super, what did you set your cam timing at?

Mine is smooooooooth,.

I cant tell if I picked up any power or FE?

I will be willing to be the ginea pig as always, But I was looking for a starting point..

How far advanced? 2 degrees?? Straight up??

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VAG-com engine block 4 group 4 is at 6.9deg (it was at -2.9 before adjustment). I am going to shoot for 5deg.

Mach1

TDI
Those are huge steps, do you know what the spec is for a stocker?

Straight up, I would think..

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I agree, it was a bigger step than I was looking for. I'll leave it for a tank before I change it (I was getting 5.6L/100km, before I touched it consistently).

Mach1

TDI
Super, stay in touch, I want to see what the Fuel effects are, trying to determine myself..

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I filled up and got 5.60*** L/100km, a small improvement but nothing earth shattering. I get get 0.2 L/100km variation so it just within the statistical noise.
I was driving it pretty hard though with the new smoothness and power.

Mach1

TDI
I went back and was reading, that is not in degrees of cam timing.

I dont think I picked up any FE either, but it does run smoother, at idle, at speed, and especially when taking off using the clutch.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You can't monitor and adjust cam(shaft) timing from VAG-COM. You're probably referring to injection pump timing.

The cam timing is set and fixed during timing belt intervals with the locking tool. As the belt goes though its life cycle, it will stretch, and the tensioner will take up the slack. This causes both the cam- and injection-pump timings to drift toward being retarded.

Adjustments from VAG COM don't do a thing to affect the physical cam timing.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I adjusted the cam right at the pulley (it is slotted to allow the cam timing to be adjusted a couple degrees). You can verify the timing with the VAG-com though.

For more details see the rough idle thread in the MkV forums.

Dan_Richardson

TDI
1999 Black 4 door 5 speed stick
SuperJ said:
I adjusted the cam right at the pulley (it is slotted to allow the cam timing to be adjusted a couple degrees). You can verify the timing with the VAG-com though.

For more details see the rough idle thread in the MkV forums.
Slotted pulley=injection pump pulley.
The cam sprocket has no slots and is a taper fit with infinate degree adjustment. You have to separate it from the cam to be able to adjust it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A5's don't have injection pumps they are PD units. Are you sure it is this way on the newer A5's? The Bentley manual says the sprocket can just be pulled off. The hub itself needs to be removed using tool T10052 and placed under tension until loose.

Mach1

TDI
We are adjusting cam timing, (slotted cam sprockets), the PD's dont have injection pumps, they have unit injection(pumpe duse).

The Vag-com is not degrees of cam timing, but refer to it as something else.

We are adjusting cam timing which throws off unit injection timing as well. When you adjust cam timing it also adjusts injection timing. Have to be careful here as the adjustment changes both timings. (Injection base and Cam)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TDIMeister said:
The cam timing is set and fixed during timing belt intervals with the locking tool. As the belt goes though its life cycle, it will stretch, and the tensioner will take up the slack. This causes both the cam- and injection-pump timings to drift toward being retarded.
Drivbiwire also said something in the last few days about timing belts stretching. But do they actually stretch? Why? They are tight but not super-tight.