Reverse sometimes doesn't shift into gear?

kad783

TDI
mk4 golf, mk5 Jetta
I have a 2009 mkV Jetta TDI 2L turbo engine, car has 340,000 km

When it does not go into reverse, I see the gear display (PRNDS) lights start flashing. If I try to change gears nothing happens.
I shut the car off and turn it back on and shift into reverse and it backs up like nothing ever happened. Other then that car works great.

BlueDriver codes I get are:

1 engine code:
P2711: Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement

Other codes it found but might be unrelated

P03B6: Cylinder 4 Pressure Sensor Circuit High
P03A5: Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High
P0132: O2 Sensor Circuit - High Voltage (Might need new O2 sensor)
C0AC7: Unknown

I read that I might need to change valve body mechatronics unit or should I just try changing my transmission fluid and filter first?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and helpful!

Edit: it's an Automatic

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
OBD2 scanners like the BlueDriver do not read power train codes, they only read OBD2 emission codes. You need VCDS or equivalent to read power train codes. However, you are some what in luck. The P2711 is an OBD2 engine code.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/19143/P2711/010001

One possible solution is to perform an adaption (Basic Settings) with VCDS.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)#Basic_Setting

Another possible solution is found in VW TSB 30-14-03, August 7, 2014

.......................................................................................

You got ripped of on your BlueDriver OBD2 scantool. There are blueTooth OBD2 scanners for as low as $14 that do the same thing with an Android app called Torque. Torque Pro is $9. Standard Torque with advertising is free.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
With a proper scan tool you can get more in depth with the M-unit's inputs and outputs, and its expected gear positioning.

The 02E DSG is a pretty good transmission, most all control side issues are solved with a new M-unit, as all the transmission's electronics are in that one part, and there is only the one connector to the transmission.

However, you could still have an issue with the gear selector module, inside the car (part of the shifter), not in the M-unit at all. A good scan tool will sort this out.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Whenever I have had shift problems on any VW's, it was always something in the linkage, some physical problem between the shift stick and the transmission.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Whenever I have had shift problems on any VW's, it was always something in the linkage, some physical problem between the shift stick and the transmission.
Has nothing applicable here. The only thing the mechanical cable part does on the 02E is engage/disengage the park pawl, nothing more. There is no "gear selection" done mechanically whatsoever. The shifter just moves contacts in the gear selector module at the base of the shifter, then sends the signal to the M-unit inside the transmission. You could cut the cable off both ends and throw it in the trash, the electronics would never know the difference.

kad783

TDI
mk4 golf, mk5 Jetta
Ok, thanks for the input guys, I will try to get my car scanned with VCDS

Also forgot to note that I have an Automatic, not a manual if that was not clear.

Last edited:

Teamzarz

TDI
2009 JSW
Everything I have read says P2711 without any other codes related to the transmission is clutches. In fact the VW TSB that was put out specifically states that if you have a P2711 code with no other codes the problem is clutches. I'm going through this now with VW based on the fact that the extended fix warranty on 2009 TDI's specifically also cover the transmission and the mechatronic unit.