02J gear selection trouble

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
On an 02J transmission when the shift tower is locked in the home position, does that prevent the selector shaft from rotating or does it just lock up/down movement of the shaft?
I am trying to check cable alignment and locking in home position only prevents up/down movement of the shaft. It is still able to rotate when locked, but I wasn’t sure if that was normal.
Here is a short video of what I get when attempting to lock in home position
https://youtu.be/5SEsvWGCIUs
The reason for checking cable alignment in the first place is that I am troubleshooting a gear selection problem where the neutral position is tough to find. When I do locate neutral, it is much farther back than normal (back meaning closer to typical 2nd/4th position) and I end up having trouble engaging 2nd/4th. Reverse is also hard to get, but I think that’s mostly because it’s hard to tell if I’m starting from the right neutral position.
I seriously doubt it’s cable alignment, since this came on pretty quickly. I bought the dieselgeek bushing kit, but I haven’t replaced any yet since none of them seem to have that much play and the issue can be reproduced under the hood which seems to eliminate the in-cabin cable end bushings.
Here is a video showing progression from neutral to first back to neutral (fails) and attempting 2nd. (Apologies in advance for the low audio and Vertical Video Syndrome, as it was difficult to find a room for filming)
https://youtu.be/dE183zVCZvA
I am trying to narrow down whether this is a shift tower issue (which I may try to tackle) or a broken shift fork (which I would need a lot of alcohol before attempting). Thanks in advance for any suggestions on possible causes or possible drinks that may aid in diagnosis.
Car in question is on 03 Jetta Wagon with the 5 speed manual transmission, 240k miles.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Am I the only one that noticed the nut not moving? I thought the shaft and nut moved as a unit?

In the second video it looks like the spline is stripped or the nut is loose...the counterweight shouldn't move perpendicularly

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I agree. I don’t see the nut moving when the shift weight is being turned. I would remove the shift weight and exam the splines on the selector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
What may have started as an adjustment issue looks to have turned into a big ole bag of oooops. Is this possibly a product of force between gates as in it wasn't adjusted right and it wasn't finding the sweet spot?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Here’s some photos of a partial selector tower ( parts that are applicable to your issue)

Heres a photo of the correct position of the “L” pin when locked into its home position

When locked, the pin goes into this hole preventing any vertical or lateral movement

Here’s the photo of the vertical ramp

And a photo of the neutral and fwd gears “gate”

You just might have a broken “L” pin which is preventing you from locking the selector. Nothing should move ( vertically or laterally) when it is locked into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
Am I the only one that noticed the nut not moving? I thought the shaft and nut moved as a unit?

In the second video it looks like the spline is stripped or the nut is loose...the counterweight shouldn't move perpendicularly
I think you’ve got it.
The shift weight (which is also the front/back bracket) moves freely without the shaft. I can find each position pretty easily with a socket on the top but.
Hopefully the bracket just popped off the splines and is not stripped.
Will get in there and update with findings

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to follow up, I needed the bracket and the cable ends were also pretty beat so I replaced the whole thing with the diesel geek short shifter and I’m back in business.
Thanks again to all who helped.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for following up and not just keeping it secret...this is what makes forums great.