Austin, TX mechanic suggestions?

miahone

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
1st post!!!

I drive a 2012 VW Golf TDI, and i just recently broke the 100,000 mile marker. The dealer in Albuquerque said that at 100k I need to replace my timing belt. I just moved to Austin this week, and I am looking for a mechanic that can help me with this.

aktartt

TDI
2000 Golf
Do not use European Motorwerks. They replaced the timing belt on my 2000 Golf last summer and for weeks afterward I had an intermittent No Start problem. I kept taking it back to them and it never occurred to them to check the timing, which turned out to be way out of spec. Unfortunately, the shop that discovered this has since closed. Just this week an acquaintance told me that she had been using Northwest Imports for work on her Golf (GTI, I think, not a diesel) and thinks they are good and honest. I'm going to try them soon. Good luck. And please post a recommendation if you find a good TDI mechanic!

gabbro

TDI
2003 Jetta
Definitely missing runonbeer

I'm thinking about trying Hill Country European Autoworks in Dripping Springs. Has anyone taken a tdi to them?

http://www.hceuro.com/

runonbeer, glad to see recent post! If you go to the Outer Banks, the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke to Hatteras is a lot of fun.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'm thinking about trying Hill Country European Autoworks in Dripping Springs. Has anyone taken a tdi to them?

http://www.hceuro.com/

runonbeer, glad to see recent post! If you go to the Outer Banks, the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke to Hatteras is a lot of fun.
I just checked their website and, under their VW service listings, they offer "Ablue Diesel Fluid Refill Service"... :rolleyes:

gabbro

TDI
2003 Jetta
I just checked their website and, under their VW service listings, they offer "Ablue Diesel Fluid Refill Service"... :rolleyes:

Lol. Yes, it doesn't inspire confidence. I need an oil change and air conditioning service. It was 105 today and my a/c went out last week.

Thanks above for the San Antonio lead(!) I will contact him.

I've got an appointment this week in Dripping. I'll see if I can work with them and I'll pass along what I learn.

Robbie trained Lance. Robbie did a good job training Lance. Lance did my timing belt. Anyone know what happened to Lance?

LP@TDC

TDI
ALH wagon beast, AKA: Torchy
Hi, all! This is Lance. Yes, Robby trained the crap out of me and did a pretty awesome job!! I wish him the best!

Since the shutdown of Meyerhoff, I relocated to NE Texas. Emory, to be precise. I'm 250 miles from ATX, but I have all my tools and equipment and know-how.

I am still working on TDI's in my tiny, yet well-equipped shop.

Sorry to make this brief, but I have to head out of town at this very moment. I'll be back around. Not sure the proper procedure to getting my contact info available to anyone looking, but I'm sure a PM will suffice.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I haven't used them for a TB but he is a long time VW dealer mechanic now with his own shop. They are located in North Georgetown. I have used him for other things with satisfactory results. Talk with him and decide for yourself.

Kevin's Auto Shop.
(512) 508-5141

or

https://www.germanautocenter.com/service/austin-volkswagen-service/

or either dealer Maund or Hewlett.

There really is no one left like Robby was that I know of.

Last edited:

97passat

TDI
97 Passat 266K (RIP little go-cart), 2013 Jetta Sportwagen 48K as of mid 2023
Motormania, Inc.
10208 Ranch Road 620 N.
Austin, TX 78726-2200
(512) 331-0877

I discovered these guys a few months ago. I only wish I had found them earlier in life. I wouldn't make this recommendation if I didn't trust them. And I wouldn't trust them if I hadn't received stellar customer service and quality repair work. Rodger and his crew are truly an exception here in Austin where quality VW shops are far and few between and most seem to suddenly go out of business... Every step of the way Rodger offered prompt callbacks, with solid communication regarding the repairs needed (front right tie rod, both inner and outer) and also some high dollar work which he told me was NOT needed. (CVs, and struts, because I thought the whole front end was screwed) This guy actually turned down work I suggested because he said it wasn't necessary. -(and then clearly stated why it wasn't necessary until I understood the real problem with the front end) Name another mechanic in town who will walk away from a cash sale based upon principle and honesty. I realize it's quite a drive for most Austinites, however it's worth making the effort. -The owner and crew are good people with integrity, a trait truly unheard of in the auto repair business.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Motormania, Inc.
10208 Ranch Road 620 N.
Austin, TX 78726-2200
(512) 331-0877

I discovered these guys a few months ago. I only wish I had found them earlier in life. I wouldn't make this recommendation if I didn't trust them. And I wouldn't trust them if I hadn't received stellar customer service and quality repair work. Rodger and his crew are truly an exception here in Austin where quality VW shops are far and few between and most seem to suddenly go out of business... Every step of the way Rodger offered prompt callbacks, with solid communication regarding the repairs needed (front right tie rod, both inner and outer) and also some high dollar work which he told me was NOT needed. (CVs, and struts, because I thought the whole front end was screwed) This guy actually turned down work I suggested because he said it wasn't necessary. -(and then clearly stated why it wasn't necessary until I understood the real problem with the front end) Name another mechanic in town who will walk away from a cash sale based upon principle and honesty. I realize it's quite a drive for most Austinites, however it's worth making the effort. -The owner and crew are good people with integrity, a trait truly unheard of in the auto repair business.

From 0 to 10 how would rate their TDI depth of knowledge?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I went there over a decade ago and talked with them. I wasn't inspired and runonbeer was in town so I went with him, even though he was farther away, 30 miles. They seemed to deal in older VW's (gas) at the time. It has been quite a while and maybe they have changed. Their Yelp reviews are good. I should revisit them to see how I feel now as runonbeer is gone and I could use someone close besides the dealer. But my dealer has always done well by me for service, so it will be hard to change unless they are better and less expensive. I will talk to them about regular service costs to include Timing belt kit change when needed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Found another place today. Haven't tried them yet though. English guy said he has been doing this for 24 years. Has VCDS and lockdown tools (asked but I didn't see them as it is Sunday). I am trying to buy a 2015 Passat tdi that needs a timing belt. Will check out Kevin's and Motormania as well.

http://www.bdtuning.com/default.asp

BDTuning
Mike
Address: 1309 Leander Dr, #904
Leander, TX 78641
Phone: (512) 686-2776

Also looking to delete and tune this car if I get it as it has 142k miles on it. Warranty about out and a perfect candidate for it. BDTuning will do the delete for me they said.

fahrfrompuken

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Talked to Mike from BDTuning today. He was super nice and super helpful. Making an appointment with him.

Last edited:

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I'm glad to see there are a few places that seem to be decent TDI shops. I agree with you Lightflyer1, there is no one like Robby was. I had him do my first timing belt change and then Lance swapped out an AC refrigerant expansion valve. I miss Meyerhoff Auto Haus. Still have a few stickers from them.

I can recommend Austin Veedub for most things. I had them change out a turbo that failed not long after the extended warranty expired (go figure). He charged $1600 parts and labor. Heck of a deal and they did a great job.

I'm going to give BD tuning a call about replacing my DPF. This will be my 3rd one. Factory changed out around 175k miles under extended warranty. This one lasted about 40k-50k miles.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Anyone still doing good timing belt changes in Austin or San Antonio? I live in Kyle and will need one done soon!
I'm nowhere near being set up as a shop, but I'm an hour NW of San Antonio, and I have experience doing timing belts on both ALH and CJAA (personal vehicles though). I think I've done the TB on a CJAA 3 times so far, and 6 times on an ALH, and of course, have all the proper metalnerd tools, other Snap-on tools and VCDS.

gabbro

TDI
2003 Jetta
Motormania did a timing belt for me last week plus control arms, on a 2011 Jetta. I dropped the car the night before. They were done by 5pm. I rented an overnight car from Enterprise, 2 minutes drive away, 12 minute walk. Thanks for the recommendation 97passat. Jim at dieselgeek had a number to call, but that fellow didn't get back to me. I drove by the address for BDTuning in Leander, but could not see evidence of a shop there. They confirmed they do timing belts through facebook messenger, which I didn't know I had triggered, and didn't see the message for a week. I was very happy with Motormania. Roger said they do timing belts regularly. A pleasure to work with.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
So Motormania can be considered decently qualified for more modern TDI cars also?

gabbro

TDI
2003 Jetta
So Motormania can be considered decently qualified for more modern TDI cars also?
Call them. Better yet, stop at the shop and talk to them. They have two satisfied customers on this thread. My Jetta's a 2011.

I've also been to Charles Maund. They did $4,500 in diesel gate warranty work. I really appreciated that, and went back to them. But I thought Motormania was a better choice for a timing belt. Hewlett in Georgetown denied the warranty work because I had an aftermarket air filter. But they changed out a thermostat under warranty, and gave me an overnight car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have had pretty good service from Hewlett VW. I choose to have them do oil changes and such just because of the warranty. Specific things not the "package deal". Will be going in soon for a leaky DEF injector along with some regular service items. The warranty was a main reason I bought my stop sale car. Nice to hear Motormania could be a good choice for some things! There was a place up in Cedar Park I checked once but their rates were sky high. I have my own VCDS so that helps.

TexanTeaDI

TDI
2011 A3 Premium Plus
Soon to be owner of my first TDI A3. ISO a local shop to install exhaust, eibach pro kit, and get the reprogramming I’ve read so many raving about here.

Any suggestions, recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TexanTeaDI

TDI
2011 A3 Premium Plus
Found another place today. Haven't tried them yet though. English guy said he has been doing this for 24 years. Has VCDS and lockdown tools (asked but I didn't see them as it is Sunday). I am trying to buy a 2015 Passat tdi that needs a timing belt. Will check out Kevin's and Motormania as well.

http://www.bdtuning.com/default.asp

BDTuning
Mike
Address: 1309 Leander Dr, #904
Leander, TX 78641
Phone: (512) 686-2776

Also looking to delete and tune this car if I get it as it has 142k miles on it. Warranty about out and a perfect candidate for it. BDTuning will do the delete for me they said.
Update on the delete with BDTuning? More details on the package and cost?

TexanTeaDI

TDI
2011 A3 Premium Plus
Call them. Better yet, stop at the shop and talk to them. They have two satisfied customers on this thread. My Jetta's a 2011.

I've also been to Charles Maund. They did $4,500 in diesel gate warranty work. I really appreciated that, and went back to them. But I thought Motormania was a better choice for a timing belt. Hewlett in Georgetown denied the warranty work because I had an aftermarket air filter. But they changed out a thermostat under warranty, and gave me an overnight car.
Not quite sure what all the rage is about for Motormania…I showed up first thing and requested they take a look at an error code, they pinpointed it and cleared it, said to come back if it came back on. Mentioned I’d like to have more work done and they said they’d get back to me with a quote. Never heard back until I reached back out, after I was told that the work I needed done wasn’t a priority in comparison to other clients cars, he said they’d call back about the quote, and never did.

Check engine light came back on a few days later so I decided just to swing back by. Was told it was a completely different error code this time, and when I asked about the quote requested on the first visit they gave me an outrageously overpriced quote, so much that it seemed like they didn’t want to do the work at all. For a comparison I did some research and found a different shop that quoted the work at 1/4th the price.

The older dude there was rude, dismissive and disrespectful, and the icing on the cake was the overpriced quote. He even at one point said that I should just sell the car rather than getting the work done on it, & that it wasn’t worth keeping. Safe to say I’ll never be back.